Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British or English?

Florida Chatterbox
    I would say if anyone has a British passport then they are British.
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-3389.aspx

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by alastair
    [/quote]

Nobody has a 'British' passport as they are issued by 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Britain is NOT a country in its own right whereas England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are individual countries which collectively form the United Kingdom and if you do not include Northern Ireland then you have Great Britain.

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
    [/quote]

Nobody has a 'British' passport as they are issued by 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Britain is NOT a country in its own right whereas England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are individual countries which collectively form the United Kingdom and if you do not include Northern Ireland then you have Great Britain.

[/quote]

But your passport will say you are a Britsh Citizen[msnwink]

My nationality is English and thats how i see myself. My passport says my nationality is ; British citizen.
    I guess one day Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will get their independence and the British thing will be in the history books.

Dave

Florida Chatterbox
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Would a citizen of Great Britain not be British.
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-3389.aspx

I am ¾ Scottish and ¼ English, married to someone who is the other way round. My husband regards himself as English, and then British and I regard myself as Scottish and then British. I am not in the slightest offended / worried by anyone calling me British!
    Fiona

im Brighton born and bred therefore i'm English and proud... but born to English mum and German dad.... i'm confused lol
    Liesa

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    [/quote]

[/quote]

But your passport will say you are a Britsh Citizen[msnwink]

[/quote]

Which means I am from one of the following countries: England, Scotland or Wales (which make up Britain, or to give it its full title Great Britain)therefore English, Scottish or Welsh.

Found the following on a history site which might help explain:

Is Great Britain the same as Britain?

Sometimes people use the shortened name Britain instead of Great Britain, to mean the same thing, but really Britain only refers to England and Wales.

The name Britain goes back to Roman times when they called England and Wales "Britannia" (or "Britannia Major", to distinguished it from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany in France). The Roman province of Britannia only covered the areas of modern England and Wales. The area of modern Scotland was never finally conquered.

Florida Savvy
    Lol Liesa! My children are the same: English Mum, American Dad, born and raised in Germany. For the longest my son thought he was German because that's where he lived. He spoke German and went to German school. Now we live in Italy, so it's even more confusing for them.

Thank goodness we were able to get Cbeebies on the telly, they both now have English accents!

Florida Savvy
    It really all depends on whether you are watching football or tennis [msnwink]
    Pete
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1593.aspx