Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford mustang convertible

Florida Newbie

Ford mustang convertible

Hi there, just wondered if anyone has rented the ford mustang convertible? Were renting this in June so wanted to get an idea of what the boot space, back seat space, drive, fuel consumption ect...... It's myself, husband and 18month daughter travelling so will be taking a carseat and buggy with us plus luggage, an idea of space would help as were only driving from the airport to hotel and back again with the luggage. just need to make sure we can fit it all when we land lol.

Thanks in advance..... If u have pictures of when you had the rental this would be great if you upload them for us to all see. Xx [msnsmile2]

Florida Newbie
    We rented a nice red convertible in October 2009. It was the third time we have had a Mustang but the first convertible. We could only fit one large suitcase in the boot and had to put the other on the backseat. Other times we could fit two in the boot but due to the stowage area when the roof comes down the boot space is a lot less. To give you an idea of back seat space, two adults could fit in although head room is a bit limited, but for a 18 month old should be no problem. The 2012 version is out now [they always a year in advance on version years] but I would think dimensions would'nt be that different, you could always check on the USA Ford website. They are using a new engine thats smaller but more powerful and economical than the one we had, they reckon it will get up to 31mpg, I think we averaged 22mpg. I loved driving the Mustang, its easy to drive and enjoyed driving with the roof down, one touch of the button and it all happens, the rear windows come down first, then the front, then the roof. Just one word of caution, if you going to go over 30mph with the roof down make sure there is no loose items like maps etc or they may get blown out the car.

Gold 5 Star Member
    we rented a convertible (not mustang) the first time we went to Florida and that was when we first fell in love with Florida. To rent a convertible mustang is on my list to do!
    Jan&Steve

Administrator
    Charlotte and Josh have a Mustang. Lovely car! When they are back from school I'll get some photos of the trunk space with luggage to give you a better idea of space.

This is now Alamo's preferred car type for the convertible.

We've got one sitting in the driveway at the minute. We picked it up on Saturday at Fort Myers and made it to the Villa with the following

2 adults
    2 children (12 and 9)
    1 Large suitcase
    1 Mid size suitcase (both suitcases fitted in the boot)
    2 kids rucksacks (full to bulging).
    5 large brown paper supermarket bags (we stopped on the way for these). One fitted in boot, the others had to be distributed around us.

As long as you don't have 2 huge suitcases you should be fine. It's a nice car, drives better than most of the rentals we normally get, although, to be fair, it's the first time for years that we haven't had to have an SUV or people carrier so I don't have a lot of experience of regular cars.

Word of minor caution; when we went to pick up (booked gold package) the lady said "I see you've booked our standard convertible, we can upgrade you to a nice mustang convertible, only an extra $15 per day". I pointed out that it actually said Mustang on our rental docs and she flustered a bit, then said OK just go and choose one from the lot.

I've found on the last few occasions, that having the Gold package often seems to upset the prople behind the desk and they can get quite narky when you politely decline all their efforts to sell extras. It's fairly obvious and understandable that they have targets for selling all the extra bits, but they do keep trying even though you've already paid for all you want. This was the first time someone has tried to upgrade me to something I'd already paid for, however, and if it hadn't said mustang on the docs I would probably have paid up.
    Tonish

Florida Newbie
    Originally posted by Tonish
    We've got one sitting in the driveway at the minute. We picked it up on Saturday at Fort Myers and made it to the Villa with the following
    If u have picture to share this would be appreciated.....seeing as though your there now you should have the new 2012 mustang lol.

Thank you all for the replies this has definitely helped with giving us an idea of what to expect. Also I'm sure others will find this post helpful to help decide on what car to hire. I really cannot wait to cruise around Miami in the mustang... Will be one of the best holidays I think.

Originally posted by The Bodger
    We rented a nice red convertible in October 2009. It was the third time we have had a Mustang but the first convertible. We could only fit one large suitcase in the boot and had to put the other on the backseat. Other times we could fit two in the boot but due to the stowage area when the roof comes down the boot space is a lot less.
    We had a Mustang last year and i didn't think the roof folded into the boot.

Dave

Florida Newbie
    The roof folds down into a compartment thats in the top part of the boot, its the only place it can go!!!Thats why its a smaller boot than the normal car.
    Miami is certainly the place to cruise around in a Mustang convertible. Make sure you drive down Ocean Drive on South Beach. If you want to test your nerve try the I-95 from the airport area at rush hour, not for the faint hearted!

Florida Newbie
    Were actually going to do a day trip and drive up to Orlando to go to some of the shopping outlets. This is where were hoping to test the car and really enjoy the convertible especially as it's a long motorway drive.

Originally posted by Tanningqueen
    Originally posted by Tonish
    If u have picture to share this would be appreciated.....seeing as though your there now you should have the new 2012 mustang lol.

Thank you all for the replies this has definitely helped with giving us an idea of what to expect. Also I'm sure others will find this post helpful to help decide on what car to hire. I really cannot wait to cruise around Miami in the mustang... Will be one of the best holidays I think.
    I will, I promise, but I've just spent 20 minutes trying to resize the photos to fit and I've given up in frustration. I can say that the roof doesn't interfere with the boot space at all.
    Tonish