Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford mustang convertible

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tanningqueen
    Were actually going to do a day trip and drive up to Orlando to go to some of the shopping outlets. This is where were hoping to test the car and really enjoy the convertible especially as it's a long motorway drive.
    [/quote]

I've rented a lot of convertibles and to be honest the Interstate is the last place I'd have the roof down especially with a young child in the back. Once you get above about 50 mph they're terribly draughty, noisy and you feel (and probably are) very vulnerable with all the trucks overtaking you.

Perfect for cruising around Captiva though.[msnsmile2]

WE have had convertibles- and just about every car over the last 24 years. THe Mustang is not the 3 litre jobby that you can open up and fly- but its a nice car to drive- they all are, they are generally quite new!
    HOWEVER I wouldn't have a convertible [and of the 2, I quite like the Sebring- more roomy ] with a young child. We had one when my son was about 4. After 2 days we exchanged it. IT was uncomfortable to get in, after it had been parked, baking in the sun so we used to put a towel on the back seat so it would be cooler to sit on. My son ended up with it around his head like an old woman because [and I quote] " the wind is pulling all my hair out and I don't want to have a shiny head"
    It was uncomfortable in the back, and was also more of a 2=2 than a 4 seater. I hated arriving anywhere looking windswept, you have to put tons of Suntan cream on, and get seat belt marks. On the plus side- driving home late at night with the roof down and warm air swirling in your hair is lovely. We were once driving along when a rocket re entered- the sonic bang was really loud and we thought we had crashed for a second ha ha. Give me a nice big 4x4 with all the gismo's- the Escalade is very nice.

Administrator
    Josh has taken some pictures of the trunk space. Because of the shape of the trunk we could only get 1 large case, plus a small case. By using medium cases, we got 3 in, plus there was space for 2-3 smaller cases on top (we just had 1 smaller case). This is a new Mustang, the same as the model used by Alamo. As you can see, the roof does not fold in to the trunk on this model.

Florida Newbie
    This is excellent! Thanks for the pics. It's actually bigger than I thought. Fitting 3 medium suitcases is more than we need, were taking 2 medium size and 2 bags so should all fit. Thanks again

Can I add a serious note of caution here? Yesterday we took a trip from Captiva to Fort Myers beach (specifically to go to Hooters for lunch!). It was a nice day, temp about 90, fairly sunny. journey about 30-40 mins. Mrs T and Annabel (9) were in the back seat and both got almost roasted alive. Believe me, Mrs T can lie in the sun from 9am to 6pm without moving and it drives me mad. She's not happy unless she has been slow roasted and finishes each day more lobster red than the previous. She found this almost too much and both had their faces and legs burnt quite badly.

The back seats don't benefit from any shade at all. Theo and I in the front were absolutely fine, air-con on, breeze in the hair, all very pleasant, but back seats exceptionally uncomfortable.

I'm a bit concerned that with an 18 mth old you could be cruising along in the summer in Orlando 100 degree heat, assuming all is OK, but slowly cooking your child. Just something to consider. Personally, following yesterdays experience, I would consider putting your daughter in the front rather than the back.

The wings weren't very good this time, Hooters not as hot as it used to be! Burgers were good though.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    We own a softtop which my Grandson loves we don't have heavy highway traffic where we live.. but we never put the top down on the highway with him in the car..I've see highway junk hit our car I'd hate to have that land on someone in the car.

Florida Newbie
    So with the roof up and aircon on does this not reach the back? I don't mind putting the seat at the front if it's safe. I guess we need to think about this a lot more....... My husband has said that during the day we will be at the beach or poolside so won't be driving around in the heat but during the evening we will be heading out To go to dinner and see the Miami area. The only time we will probably be outdriving in the day is when we head up to Orlando and this is what concerns me as it is a 4hr drive? also there will be a day or 2 when we will go to the zoo and shopping in the Miami area.

Administrator
    With the roof on the car gets very cool quickly as the air-con works well. Most people in the hotter months keep the roof on for longer journeys especially on the busier highways. Morning and evenings are a great time to have the roof off when it's cooler and the sun not so high in the sky.

Give me an air conditioned car with a roof anytime in Florida, especially when it is hot. It is so uncomfortable having the sun baking your head and shoulders, plus your hair blowing into your eyes. I would be worried with a small child having that exposure.

We have a convertible in the UK and during the past couple of weeks we have been able to drive with the roof off. However, some of the time, it was just so hot that it was most uncomfortable. I am an absolute sun worshipper but whoa, when it comes to a convertible in Florida, no thank you.[msnwink]

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

Word of minor caution; when we went to pick up (booked gold package) the lady said "I see you've booked our standard convertible, we can upgrade you to a nice mustang convertible, only an extra $15 per day". I pointed out that it actually said Mustang on our rental docs and she flustered a bit, then said OK just go and choose one from the lot.
    [/quote]

I had the identical experience last weekend except when I went to the garage the Mustangs weren't amongst the other convertibles to pick from. As it happens I prefer the Sebring so it didn't matter to me but it seems that there is something going on here.