Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Delta / KLM

Delta / KLM

Anyone flown with Delta / KLM recently? I understand the planes are 757 or 767's. Any good? Do they have seat back TV's with choice of films etc? Just lookimg at options out of Manchester other than Virgin as we weren't very impressed with them last summer and the aircraft was really shabby.

Pam

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    We have used Delta out of Manchester (although a number of years ago now) with no problems, via Atlanta.

Have used US Airways quite a few times now good prices and no problems[msnsmile2] (next 2 flights also booked with them) via Philadelphia.

They use Airbus A300. Seat configeration 2-4-2. Seat back tv etc.

Virgin now use Airbus A300 on some of their flights from Manchester.

We used to be Virgin regulars, not any more, shoddy service, poor baggage allowance, (compared to some others) and now rather expensive[msnsad]

We have an upgrade letter from them for a future flight, because of problems "They" caused after we had paid for Premium Seats. On 8 subsequent flights we have not been able to use them, useless[msnmad]

They have said they never expire, we shall see[msnwink][msnwink]
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    You can fly to Orlando from Manchester with Delta via Atlanta or New York. The New York service is on a narrow-bodied 757 while the Atlanta route uses a wide-bodied 767. I much prefer the 767 and the routing through Atlanta for that reason alone. IMHO the Delta terminal at JFK is a dump.

We've just returned home from Atlanta with Delta. The aircraft was a 767 300 series, comfy seats but no seatback entertainment. There were 4 films on the way over and depending on where the TVs are situated you could get a sore neck!

The flight was ok - no better or worse than USAirways or American Airlines.

Flying into Atlanta was a bit of a nightmare - long queues at immigration. Philly always seems so much quicker.

Bernadette

Gold 5 Star Member
    We are trying Delta into Miami for the first time next month, it is a new route out of LHR, it is a 767 so will report on our return.

We always flew Delta internally in the States years ago and found them very good so will be interested to see how they compare to American & BA.

Virgin 3 flights too many, once out of Boston, one way; in/out of Florida and never again.

Lynne

We flew back from Orlando with Delta to Heathrow on Wednesday. Had excellent flights.

We cannot complain at all. Our flight out of Heathrow pulled back spot on time but unfortunately we had a medical emergency which necessitated us returning straight away - not Delta's fault. They had to take the lady off and locate her luggage, meaning we lost our slot and had another hour and a quarter wait.

We knew then that we had missed our connection - nothing we could do so we just relaxed. The seats were very comfortable - leather, reclined well with excellent leg support - the seat moved forwards. Entertainment was very good and actually worked - brilliant screens with touch controls and a huge number of good films. Food was good, and with a good selection - a delicious fruit salad instead of the normal salad which most people leave. Plenty of drinks on offer, and they kept coming round to refil. The afternoon snack was a piping hot pizza in an individual packet. I don't eat cheese so they brought me a vegan option.

Arrived in Detroit and were put on the next flight - a 4 hour wait but it wasn't a problem. They handed us gift certificates as we left the 'plane in Washington ($25 each) and $24 to buy food in the airport. Have NEVER had this happen, despite huge delays with Virgin on several occassions so we felt this was excellent customer service.

On our way home we had a rather long and tortuous journey via Washington and Boston. We arrived in Washington to find our flight to Boston delayed by 45 mins. We went back to the desk and the lady immediately offered to put us on the earlier flight which had also been delayed but which we could still catch. They retrieved our luggage and we got straight on the next flight, ensuring that if there were any more delays we would still catch our transatlantic.

Arrived early in Boston and had 3 hours so we had a pleasant meal and explored the terminal.

Food on return transatlantic flight was disgusting - but it always is whichever carrier we fly with - its always BBQ chicken which is very strong smelling and turns my stomach - we have experienced this on Virgin, too, so it must just be the supplier of airline food. Didn't bother to eat it, but thankfully we had eaten in Boston so it wasn't a great problem.

Breakfast was quite good - a bagel, butter, jam, banana, orange juice, plus a cereal bar. Not a great fan of untoasted bagels, but my son had a muffin instead.

Would have no hesitation in travelling with Delta again. Planes were 767's - not young but the seats were extremely comfortable, and the 'on demand' entertainment system brilliant.
    ellie

Florida Savvy
    We flew with Delta from Venice to Orlando via JFK. The transatlantic leg was on a 767 with a 2-3-2 configuration. Outbound was great as we were seated in the new Economy Comfort section with better legroom and more comfy seats. On our first layover, I tried to get our return seat assignment changed to EC and found out that it was a new addition and they hadn't even started selling seats yet. I suppose we just got lucky, but the nicer seats would have been better coming home again.

The entertainment system was the old-fashioned drop down screen with horrible picture and sound. If they had to take the aircraft out of service to fit new EC seating, I would have thought that they could upgrade to seat back entertainment at the same time.

In-flight service was good. The cabin crew were attentive and personable and were always coming around with drinks. One of them even let me have the shrimp from her first class dinner, and went to find ice-cream (again from 1st) for another passenger. Hang out with them at the back of the plane in the middle of the night and you get all of the good stuff!

I wish that we could have had more control over seating online, but the system never gave me any options. All flights were showing fully booked, but we did have space to spread out when it mattered most (transatlantic flight home).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sarahnmitch

I wish that we could have had more control over seating online, but the system never gave me any options. All flights were showing fully booked, but we did have space to spread out when it mattered most (transatlantic flight home).
    [/quote]

Sarah, we found exactly the same with online check in - it showed the 'plane completely full and no option to change seats, yet the 'plane was only a quarter full when we boarded!

Needless to say, everyone changed seats as soon as we were airborne! [msnwink]
    ellie