Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Crime in Davenport

Gold 5 Star Member
    ur insurance with ASI does not rely on us having an alarmand although we have one we had one installed a few years ago we didn't claim the discount so if there should be a break in and the alarm isnt set they couldnt refuse the claim on that basis.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    I have stayed at several villas and they all had alarm system built in and a safe/

I find it crazy that the British press have great big headlines when something like a murder of a tourist happens in Florida. We once read huge headlines about someone murdered in Orlanda and two days later when we went home we counted five murders in the UK in one of the papers. Here in the UK we have just as many murders, burglaries etc. than they have in Florida, if not more, so why do we all assume that Florida is crime ridden. I feel much safer in my home in Florida than I do in the UK, especially as I know that the criminals when caught will at least be dealt with much more severely than here. If you take the same care on holiday as you would in your own city then you should not have a problem, but some people when on holiday lose all their common sense. I live in Edinburgh and there are areas of my city that I would not go late at night, so why would I go to similar areas in Florida late at night - I would just be asking for trouble.

Andrena

Florida Junior
    Could I just warn everyone of a new scam that has started in Spain and could be carried out in the US. A friend was driving her British car with her husband, along a major road in Spain heading up to France. Suddenly there was a loud bang at the rear of the vehicle. A vehicle came up alongside and the lone female driver started pointing and shouting about the rear tyre. My friend pulled over and the women pulled in front. They all got out to look at the rear tyres and had a conversation. The women then ran off to her car and my friend saw a male also running back to the car. They drove off at speed. You guessed it her handbag was missing along with passports credit cards etc. The Police said that they normally throw a piece of fruit at the rear of the vehcile to cause the bang, whilst the male is lying flat on the rear seat. Please be carefull out there.

Thats not a "scam" That's modern highway robbery, and sadly it's worldwide and been happening for many years. As Andrena has said, be careful and don't walk/drive about with your eyes shut. Common sense is all that's needed.

Dave

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Andrena
    If you take the same care on holiday as you would in your own city then you should not have a problem, but some people when on holiday lose all their common sense. I live in Edinburgh and there are areas of my city that I would not go late at night, so why would I go to similar areas in Florida late at night - I would just be asking for trouble.

Andrena
    [/quote]

Totally Agree with this.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    If you make sure all the passenger doors are locked when you get out of the car, with only the drivers door unlocked it will make this a little more difficult

On both our cars, the locking system has been set so that only the drivers door unlocks when you press the remote once[^] a second press opens the other doors[^]

That way if anyone is waiting out of sight at the passenger side the doors don't open.

It always pays to be on your guard as much as possible these days. Even in well populated areas, most people mind there own business & are not generally aware what's happening around them.
    mike

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Going a bit off topic, but about 20 years ago, we were travelling south along A1A Miami beach when I see a woman on my right with her arm in a sling. We turned right further along the road to head northbound when this same woman came running over to us, she shouted, 'could we take her to the hospital ?' I said 'no,sorry' and just put my foot down & got out of that dodgey part of town. Yes, she may have been genuine, or she may have picked out the tourist cars by their number plates as you could then, and had a weapon in her sling ?
    My tiny brain may have been going into overdrive, but its better to be safe then sorry!!
    Cheers
    Tony
    [beer]