Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crime in Davenport

Thank you for all the good advice especially the closing the curtains[msnwink] and the 2 glasses of wine
    A lot of it is common sense but I suppose even if you follow all of this advice if it’s going to happen it will. I did not know the police patrol Highlands at night, what about the day? we did not see them last time we were there
    If Everton were playing in my back garden i would close the curtains
    (Shanks)

Gold 5 Star Member
    Put a beware of the dog sign in the window and a dog bowl in the pool area..
    I have to say I find the police great in Davenport..they did take a while to get to our house after my neighbour phoned in to say someone was parked on our lawn...turn out to be a new neighbour who got a telling off from the cops for trespass..a lot of the break ins are in the day..as an owner I'd be happier not to be home at the time..the alarm should be on at all times unless you are at the pool and can't turn those doors off..as an owner I would replace the front door to a steel one with a good kick in strip..make sure the door frame is also steel and not wood..if you buy a new TV etc cut up the box turn the wording to the centre and tie up the cardboard so people can't see what you have in the home that is new..before you place it in the bin..

Florida Chatterbox
    I wouldn't necessarily worry Mike, i'm sure it was a random robbery and not a reflection on Highlands Reserve.

We did not see the police before or after the burglary and we were around for 3 weeks in and out. There certainly wasn't an active police presence when we were there. Perhaps Sarah has seen more as she is there now.

As i have just said in my non trip report, i would happily got back to HR, just not the same villa.
    Garry Pullan

Florida Expert
    I don't think i've ever stayed at a villa that had a burglar alarm.

I have often seen both security patrols and police patrols in some areas we've stayed (Tuscan Hills, Legacy Park, Eagle Point, Emerald Island, Chatham Park) and none at all in others (Winward Cay, Westridge, Loma Vista).

Florida Chatterbox
    Ask the owner if there is a safe for your valuables such as passports & plane tickets. We only take our US debit card and minimum cash as owners but obviously if you are an occasional visitor you will have cash. Don't take anything with you that is irreplaceable - but then that goes for travelling anywhere.

I always leave things like that with my parents - in case our home at home is burgled tbh. Take copies of your passports, tickets and park tickets (all expensive to replace) and put them somewhere in the villa that won't be targeted (like in a cereal box) but don;t forget to take them home. I also leave copies of all of those with my parents.

We've been coming to Fl for over 20 years and never had an issue. We have a safe and a monitored alarm and we're on a gated resort but I think the most dangerous thing of all here as a tourist is to drive when tired - more chance of a shunt on the road than getting robbed imho. Be sensible as you would at home and give yourself 5 mins to check round the villa and lock up properly (light on, radio or tv on etc excellent advice as mentioned) before you go out - it is not worth rushing then wondering if you locked the door!!

Florida Expert
    Just thinking about this and thinking back to the last time we were in Florida.

One day we'd come home earlier than normal and spent the afternoon at the pool and then wet out early evening for a meal.

At about 3PM that afternoon a man knocked at the door saying he was selling BBQ meat and did we want any. He was in a van and appeared to knocking on all of the doors in the street.

I thought it odd at the time that he was able to be on the estate as Tuscan Hills is gated.

Perhaps a way of checking villa's out before robbing them?

when we last went to florida last may we didnt know anything about alarms on the doors etc.. we stay at Terra Verde it is a gated community, well we all got in and heard an alarm going off and figured it was resetting itself.... no..... full on alarm rang out scaring the wotsits out of us.. anyway the phone rang it was the clubhouse as they heard the alarm.. i laughed it off and said sorry etc... next thing we have the police on the doorstep!!! all within 5 minutes... trust me to have hubby[msnwink] nearby theyre sooooo handsome!! lol and so sweet to the kids.. we explained what had happened and they understood fully and could see it was a mistake, nice to know they came so quickly!!! i lurve alarms like the idea of the waterbowl and sign saying dog etc!!
    Liesa

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
    Just thinking about this and thinking back to the last time we were in Florida.

One day we'd come home earlier than normal and spent the afternoon at the pool and then wet out early evening for a meal.

At about 3PM that afternoon a man knocked at the door saying he was selling BBQ meat and did we want any. He was in a van and appeared to knocking on all of the doors in the street.

I thought it odd at the time that he was able to be on the estate as Tuscan Hills is gated.

Perhaps a way of checking villa's out before robbing them?
    [/quote]

We have had these guys knock on the door a few times at the different communities we have visited.

They are just selling steaks from a van. Decent quality meat too but I'm not sure I would buy again - from memory I think we got about 16 fillet mignon for about $50. Fair price but we didn't get round to eating them all so not much of a bargain.

They drive around the community stopping and knocking on every door where there is a car in the driveway.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I just wanted to add that I'm really enjoying this thread because it brings some important (and perhaps less talked about) things very much to the forefront. If it means that it saves just a single vacationer from a break-in then that's a good thing. Just like anywhere else, Florida has it's crime, but thankfully it's very rare in the tourist areas although it still does happen.

It's all too easy to forget things like security as you're on holiday and assume you'll be fine. Just like anywhere else in the world a few simple precautions can save a lot of upset. Don't let yourself become a victim.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
    I don't think i've ever stayed at a villa that had a burglar alarm.
    [/quote] I have to say I am surprised at this. We have an alarm at our house in the UK and wouldn't dream of not using it. Therefore, our Florida home has an alarm which we always use and send guests the instructions the week before they visit.
    Regards, Mark