Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A sad non trip report

Gold 5 Star Member
    If they managed to do that Garry they were obviously habitual (I wouldn't like to credit them with the word professional) criminals rather than opportunists, so whatever you do , if they want to get in they will and just as at home in some ways it is best to hope that if they do enter they do as little damage as possible to the building fabric.

We too have our safe anchored but to get over the problem of laying on the floor hubby attached a 2ft concrete plinth to the solid concrete floor but we know it wouldnt be foolproof in the event and we do have a monitored alarm system.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan

I think they targeted us as we were clearly a vacation rental home (pool toys, swimming shorts etc drying out back).

[/quote]

The real giveaway is the vehicle on the driveway. If you had a 'van' parked on the front the burglars don't even need to get out of their car and simply drive around any time they like and note which houses have them. Follow that up later with another visit to see which have an empty driveway and it's a fair bet the house is rented, empty and full of attractive and portable items.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Garry-so glad that you went to Clearwater and had a good few days at the end of your hols. The kids will be fine -you already know how resilient they are!

I sincerely hope that you can put this behind you and enjoy all your future holidays with the family wherever they may be(!)

It is very easy for me to write this but it was just "stuff"--you and your loved ones are safe and well-"stuff" can be replaced.

All the best to you

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    The real giveaway is the vehicle on the driveway. If you had a 'van' parked on the front the burglars don't even need to get out of their car and simply drive around any time they like and note which houses have them. Follow that up later with another visit to see which have an empty driveway and it's a fair bet the house is rented, empty and full of attractive and portable items.
    [/quote]
    We have always prefered to put our car in the garage (this is why we don't like a games room) this way it is not easy to tell if there is anyone in or not. Also no-one can watch you packing or emptying your things.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox

Garry - Have you checked your home insurance to see if some of your more expensive items are covered there?

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    Well Gary they would have a hard job with ours - I hope - it has 4 bolts and concrete! and then the carpet - so hopefully they wouldn't manage it
    Jean

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Well Gary they would have a hard job with ours - I hope - it has 4 bolts and concrete! and then the carpet - so hopefully they wouldn't manage it
    Jean[/quote]
    Safes are worth having as they will deter anyone breaking in to steal money and small items.

However any 'serious' thieves with a jemmy/crowbar will rip the bolts out of the concrete in minutes - as they did with Gary.

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    They tried when they broke into the Villa a few years ago, managed to jemmy the owners' closet but failed with the safe on the floor and as the one in the closet was lying open as we were not there at the time it happened - obviously never bothered with that.
    Jean

Florida Expert
    Gary, I have just got on to the site now after a long time away. I can appreciate what you are are feeling after the burgulary because last November my home was burgled ,totally ransacked furniture broken and money , jewellery and other stuff taken.Unless you have gone through it you cannot imagine what it does to you. I did not want to leave the house for a few weeks ,other members wanted to be away from the house all the time,people are affected in different ways . please dont let this experiance stop you going to Florida , we have been there over 20 times and it took a Dublin burgular to mess up our lives . Please accept my best wishes for many hassle free holidays for you and your family from now on .
    best wishes
    Olive
    Olive

Florida Junior
    hi gary,
    just came across your thread now and would like to add my utter disgust at what has happened,i had been saying to my wife during this last few weeks about your posts and how you were looking so forward to the holiday and was so dismayed at what i've just read. the one positive thing in all of this is the genuine concern and hurt the people on this forum feel for you and your family.i've found that this is not just "an information site" but an "online family"
    i pray that you gain strength from all that has been posted. once again,so sorry.