Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra Young drivers with our YDP package

Quote Originally Posted by dcnurse View Post
    Do Young drivers still need to produce a credit card on collection of the vehicle as several companies now seem to accept debit cards?
    The following is taken from the FAQ section: Note if you use a debit card you must have the money in the account from them to lock off. With a credit card card they simply lock off an amount of your credit. Visa Electron is a no go.

Drivers must have a major credit card in their name when collecting the car.
    Most major cards are accepted including Master Card, Amex and Visa. Visa Debit is generally accepted (excluding Electron cards). Switch / Maestro / Solo cards are not accepted. Debit cards can only be used if you can show your return flight itinerary.
    The rental company will 'swipe' the card, usually for around $500. The rental company will authorise and lock off this amount, but don't actually take the payment from your account. Once the car is returned, the deposit amount is then released.
    The card used for the deposit will be the card used at the end of your rental to take payment for the tank of fuel (on Silver Option with Dollar) and will also be used to charge for any optional extras you agreed to on collection of the car, such as child seats. Your card will also be debited in the case of returning your car late, and if you had any unpaid fines or citations during your rental (such as speeding fines, parking violations and passing tolls without payment).

Florida Expert
    Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply is this not just the general reply? as I have been advised that the no car company in Orlando will let a young driver hire a car without a credit card!
    Denise

Hello,
    sorry Denise I am not sure what you are asking The above is taken from the FAQ and lays out what is accepted for deposits. There is no need for a credit card but make sure you have a debit card that is widely accepted. Maestro, switch and electron and solo and generally not accepted in the USA.
    There is also the option of a prepaid visa or mastercard. With any card they customer will need enough credit to cover the fee. I don't know any company that will anyone rent car without leaving a deposit. I don't work for uscarhire but I know they keep their FAQ up to date. For further clarifaction try emailing them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by dcnurse View Post
    Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply is this not just the general reply? as I have been advised that the no car company in Orlando will let a young driver hire a car without a credit card!

Administrator
    I confirm as per our site, that a young driver can use a debit card, provided they have a return flight ticket to show.

What type of debit card though? As some above posts state they won't accept Maestro?
    Do you think I could use my Thomas Cook issued prepaid Mastercard, can't see any objections with this myself? So long as I have the $500 to lock
    Also, for flight tickets we don't get these until arrival at airport (US Airways) but we will have flight confirmation sheets with the itinerary stated is this enough?
    Last edited by LFCGeorge; 04-05-2014 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by LFCGeorge View Post
    What type of debit card though? As some above posts state they won't accept Maestro?
    Do you think I could use my Thomas Cook issued prepaid Mastercard, can't see any objections with this myself? So long as I have the $500 to lock
    Also, for flight tickets we don't get these until arrival at airport (US Airways) but we will have flight confirmation sheets with the itinerary stated is this enough?
    I'm sure you'll get a proper reply from Roger soon enough, but rental companies have never liked to take prepaid cards and I've never known one to accept Cirrus or Maestro cards either. Even in the UK, Maestro cards were phased out in favour of Visa debit.
    Tony G

If it is carrying the Mastercard logo then there is no reason why not (as with any card to is down to the provider to ensure it is link up with overseas systems but the whole idea is that it is a travel card. The only thing to remember is that it is not a credit limit so the whole amount may well be taken and then refunded. I know that is what happens when I take debit card deposits in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by LFCGeorge View Post