Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handbrake!!!!!

Florida Chatterbox

handbrake!!!!!

handbrake to us, what do they call it in the US. i've heard its more like a footbrake, easy to use??? someone told me they couldn't work it and tried to drive off with it on [msneek]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Parking brake

Florida Expert
    Some cars do have a 'hand brake' that is operated by the foot but it is perfectly safe.
    Clare R

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
    Some cars do have a 'hand brake' that is operated by the foot but it is perfectly safe.
    [/quote]

Try doing a hill start in a manual car with a foot operated parking brake. Gets a bit tricky.

Dave

You won't find too many 'manual' cars in Florida[msnwink] You also won't find too many 'hills' in Florida[msnwink]

Sandra

I've never used the parking brake while driving in Florida. The first time we hired, i asked one of the staff who was there at the time about the parking brake, he said not to touch it, that they always leave it off.

Super Moderator
    Must be in the minority then as we do use the parking brake when we get out of the car. It is easy to use - you just push a pedal instead of pulling up a lever.

We never use the parking brake either and don't know many of my friends that use it either in Florida. I was asked what on earth I was doing when I took my Florida Drivers License 18 years ago, and told there was absolutely no need to use it. We have automatic cars in UK and never use the hand brake on those either unless we are parked on a very steep hill.

Sandra

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    The wifes new Volvo (xc60) has an electric parking brake, which you press a button to put it on, then it releases automatically as you set off[msnsmile] Very simple.

The great thing is it doesn't release automatically unless you have your seatbelt on. Which I think is a great idea.

My car (Volvo xc90) has the foot operated parking brake, which is also very simple once you have got used to pressing your foot, rather than lifting your hand [msneek]

She finds it quite amusing when I drive her car and automatically press down on the non existing pedal when parking.[msnembarrased]
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've had at least 3 Mercs with foot operated parking brakes and now have an older BMW with one and a newer BMW with an electronic brake operated through the steering wheel with the iDrive thing.

You get used to it but all of my cars have been automatics. I think they would be hard work with a manual car but you're very unlikely to come across that in the US.