Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why visit Florida?

Florida Newbie

why visit Florida?

hello i am a travel and tourism student in my second year and i am doing a project about Florida. I would like to know why you visit florida. Is it for the attractions or for the weather or anything else. If you answer this forum i hope you dont mind if i may reference you and what you say for my research. thank you [msnsmile2]
    Emma Wilkins

Florida Expert
    Emma, there are many reasons for visiting Florida and you will get many different views.

For me personally it is the weather although I would not wish to live there as Floirda weather does become somewhat extreme at times. The lifestyle is slower than here, I am writing as someone of pensionable age so 'slowness' probably doesn't come into your sphere. Driving is a dream after UK roads. Eating out is so much cheaper than here, portions are generally enormous. The Americans in general love their visitors and are always keen to talk to us, ask us if we know their Aunt who lives in England as they think we should as England is 'so small'.

There is a great deal more to Florida than Orlando; the east coast has Kennedy Space Centre (interesting even to those without knowledge or interest of the Space Age) and several beach communities down to Miami in the south. Florida Keys are unique, anyone interested in diving would find it heaven and the one-road trip to Key West is a must for anyone.

My particular 'bit' of Florida is on the west coast about 300 miles south of Orlando and the beaches there are just wonderful with lots of small towns.

I have been as far north as the state capital of Tallahassee and that is yet a different area, they even have a few hills up there. One day I shall get round the corner to the Panhandle as I am let to believe the beaches there are a must to be seen.

Good luck with your studies.

Clare - also from Bristol
    Clare R

Like many others we originally visited for a one off holiday. My reasons were because I had just cured my fear of flying and wanted to take my children on one special holiday as I had been unable to fly abroad with them before. I booked for the weather and the theme parks, disney etc. This was for the kids and my husband who like park rides. When we arrived my reasons changed, it was a holiday for me too and we were only able to return home by agreeing when we would be comng back. Our reasons are as follows;

The weather
    The villa - pool, which you can use year round
    The parks - Disney and Universal
    The people - they are so friendly
    The shops
    The golf - and this includes the adventure golf which we all enjoy

For me personally my favourite bit is;
    The peaceful early morning in the pool with the chance of seeing those majestic hot air balloons flying over the villas.

Our one in a lifetimetime trip has now been 9 visits, next visit booked for later this year and next years planned already.
    Jan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Emma

For me personally it is very difficult to answer totally because part of the answer is an undescribable emotion. There is something invisible (perhaps it's pixie dust) that just draws us back again and again and it's very difficult to imagine anywhere else in the world that would have the same pull. Many things are a "been there, done that" type of holiday but each visit to Florida brings new places to visit and new experiences.

We too went for the holiday of a lifetime 11 years ago and by the 3rd trip we knew we'd want to spend a lot of time there so bought our place.

You have to look beyond the theme parks, to the State Parks, the people, the food, the climate, the wildlife. In a relatively short area you have some of the best beaches, shopping, nightlife, so whatever your particular "scene" is you can be sure to find it in abundance.
    I know technically when you look at many other tourist destinations they appear to offer similar things so I guess it may ultimately be down to the theme parks constantly updating , reinvesting etc. which spreads wider and the whole area evolves over time so that each visit is unique and in some ways like the first time all over, as you never know quite what to expect, mixed in with a familiarity and comfort of a familiar place and of course there are not (too many ) language barriers.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Florida has so much to offer, great shopping, theme parks, wonderful beaches, friendly people. We feel very much at home here. As Jan said we love to watch the hot air balloons pass over our villa early in the morning. There is nothing like it! We also love Fort Lauderdale and Miami too. Florida is so different; you can tailor your holiday to suit you. St Pete's beach is beautiful with miles of soft white sand, and of course the diverse wildlife. The keys are wonderful too, I could go on and on

Of course the weather is a big bonus.

Good luck with your project
    Jan&Steve

Hi Emma, what a great choice for a project for your studies. Thank you for the opportunity to talk about Florida.
    For me personally there are numerous reasons why I like Florida The weather is one of them although not very keen being there in the very hot humid months of July and August.

The Parks do play a part in my love of Florida but not a major factor anymore. I also enjoy the relaxed way of life that Florida offers, you can choose to dress casually in shorts and tea shirts when you go out for dinner or is you prefer to dress more formal. The choice is yours you certainly will not be judged on your dress code.

Driving is a pleasure less stressful than the UK and the fuel considerably cheaper. The choice of restaurants is endless from a burger to a gourmet dinner the majority at reasonable prices.

I have over the years explored many parts of Florida. One of my favourites has to be Fort Lauderdale on the Atlantic coast only 23 miles from Miami. Sometimes known as the Venice of America because of its intricate canal system. The weather beaches, atmosphere, restaurants and of course shopping are second to none .

Another of my favourite places to visit and well worth a mention has to be St.Augustine, the nation's oldest city, located between North East and Central East Florida and is convenient for Jacksonville and Daytona. Boasts a year round mild climate perfect for strolling the historic district, with its cobblestone streets,quaint cafes and bars.

I could go on forever but I will give other Florida lover a chance. Good luck with your project.

Barbara

We fell in love with Florida on our first visit over 20 years ago.
    I have had asthma for a long time and on my first visit I could not believe how quickly I was able to manage without an inhaler. I have heard other people say the same. The air there suits me so I just feel better.
    I love the incredible variety in everything, from fun to food to fantasy; it's all around you in so many different ways.
    I love the wildlife and the weather.
    I love that it is for the whole family. We have the most wonderful famiy gatherings with 3 generations of people. Toddlers, teens, , thirties, forties , sixties and seventies all at the house together and all having a great time because no matter what age you are there is something for everyone in Florida.
    I think one word sums it up for me.. ACCESSIBILITY..to everything the family wants.
    Angela

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Hi Emma

I agree with everything the others have said.

Florida is like being attached to a piece of elastic you can pull away but it just keeps pulling you back.

My husband and I are both now retired and although I hate really hot weather I equally hate the English winters so love to visit Florida during November/December and again between Jan/March to escape the cold. The weather there then is perfect for us, the people are so nice and I just love being there and I can't really describe why. We have only been back just over a week and already looking forward to October when we return.
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    We love it as a family. We have traditions that date back to before we had the children and we went as a couple; traditions that have started since we had the girls that are insisted upon each time we go (first evening meal HAS to be in Bob Evans round the corner, joking about the time, years ago, I kept calling it Bob Greens by mistake!)

When we first went I like the rides and no I don't but still love it. Everyone else loves the rides but there really is something for all. And something new every time.

The weather is great. My husband has a problem with his legs and now, sadly, we have to go for 3 weeks [msnwink] This means we can take things slower and his legs are not affected so badly. He gets a rash and his legs swell. No cure but the doctor called it golfers vasculitus but the other name is Disney Leg - because it happens when you walk in hot weather and affects men more (hence the golfers bit).

The food is a great variety and not too badly priced. Drinks are often on refill which makes a difference with the kids.

This time we are going to one of the beaches. Have been before and it was amazing (have read on this forum about Honeymoon Island which we're going to as well)

Wish we could afford a place of our own but realistically we can't go often enough to make good use of one [msnsad]

Florida Newbie
    [msnsmile2] wow thank you soo much for replying to my forum post. All your comments have been very useful for by research and i see why people go to Florida now from what you have told me [msnwink]. Its sounds like a amazing place and everytime i do some of my project i really want to go more and more.

For when i am travelling in the future Florida will definatly be on my list to go too [msncool]

Thank you again [msnsmile]
    Emma Wilkins