Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ

Florida Chatterbox

BBQ

Just heard that it is illegal to have a BBQ in the pool area inside the pool screen area.

Apparantly you have to take it outside of the screened area before lighting.

Anyone shed any light on this claim?

I must admit to having at least 3 BBQ's in the pool area and would not have dreamed of taking into the 'garden' area to cook. I mean the screen is there to keep bugs out so continually opening the screen door all afternoon would let the critters in i suppose?

Garry Pullan

Florida Expert
    This 'rule' I believe depends very much on which County the property is in. There was a thread about this some long time ago and I checked with our Management Company in Charlotte County on the Gulf Coast and we had no such restriction.
    Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    Gary
    We have a concrete area ooutside our pool screen siince, as Clare says some County Fire Marshalls advise against it, some prohibit it and we personally think it is a good idea to keep it out of the area. There's 2 reasons for this, firstly if it gets out of hand then it can damage the screen and secondly, if grease drips onto the pool deck it can be dangerours for adults/children walking around and it can be very difficult to remove so stain the deck.
    My last MC told me of one occasion where a guest panicked when the flames got a bit out of control and threw the WHOLE lot, coals included into the pool. As you can imagine that was an expensive clea up.
    The heat from the grill will keep and insects at bay whilst you are cooking. It aslo means there is less chance of children accidentally getting burnt if it's outuside.
    Babblin Boo

Super Moderator
    In Polk County it is at the request of the Fire Marshalls in case a flame or spark goes up and melts the screening - which could result in a nasty injury. We have got round this by having a George Foreman electric BBQ which works just as well.

Florida Chatterbox
    The villa has a gas BBQ not coals so does this make any difference at all? Also the BBQ goes under the lanai so not below the screen.

Villa is in Davenport.
    Garry Pullan

For the record, it is NOT illegal to have a BBQ in the pool area, it is just common sense advice to keep them away from combustable materials. They can also make a mess on the pool deck floor. I would recommend having them outside of the pool cage if possible.

[msneek]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
    Just heard that it is illegal to have a BBQ in the pool area inside the pool screen area.

Apparantly you have to take it outside of the screened area before lighting.

Anyone shed any light on this claim?

I must admit to having at least 3 BBQ's in the pool area and would not have dreamed of taking into the 'garden' area to cook. I mean the screen is there to keep bugs out so continually opening the screen door all afternoon would let the critters in i suppose?

[/quote]

Florida Newbie
    Hi Gary

we asked our owner if there was a bbq at the villa and we were told that due to health and safety they couldn't have one as they couldn't guarantee that it would be cleaned each time but were quite happy for us to use disposables no mention of having to take it outside. We're staying in Clermont.

Mrs G

mrs g

Mrs. G

You could ask the owner to rent a bbq for you. The cost is around $50 per week and there is o need to clean it if you don't want to, as the rental company do it. It has nothing to do with Health and Safety and the rental company usually leave it outside the screen so no problems. The disposables can make even more mess if someone spills things[msnwink]

When guests ask us for a gas bbq, we ask our MC and they arrange it all. I don't charge extra for this service either.

Sandra

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    Gary
    We have a concrete area ooutside our pool screen siince, as Clare says some County Fire Marshalls advise against it, some prohibit it and we personally think it is a good idea to keep it out of the area. There's 2 reasons for this, firstly if it gets out of hand then it can damage the screen and secondly, if grease drips onto the pool deck it can be dangerours for adults/children walking around and it can be very difficult to remove so stain the deck.
    My last MC told me of one occasion where a guest panicked when the flames got a bit out of control and threw the WHOLE lot, coals included into the pool. As you can imagine that was an expensive clea up.
    The heat from the grill will keep and insects at bay whilst you are cooking. It aslo means there is less chance of children accidentally getting burnt if it's outuside.
    [/quote]

Having read this I would not want people having a BBQ in the pool area of my villa (if I had one).
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    We are not allowed to have them on our development inside the pool enclosure at all. so I dont bother there are spot checks done as well.
    Berni Deno and Maya
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1997.aspx