Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Canaveral Launch 5th August

Florida Chatterbox

Cape Canaveral Launch 5th August

I have noticed that this will be on whilst we are there.

I would not mind getting close to the launch site but am not wanting to get gridlocked into traffic Jams.

Is there an expert who knows of a location which has reasonable facilities and will give us a view?

Thanks

I think you will find from other postings about going to a launch that there is a wealth of place to view the launch.

It will also only take just over an hour to get there. Bad news is that the return journey is 2 to 4 hours. The road system to the coast is a like a tree with the trunk as the main road to the coast and all the branches as the roads all around the area.

Once the launch is over everyone tries to feed back on to the main road back to Orlando. This is where you get the delays, a lot will also depend on the time of day. If it's early you could plan to stay at the beach then travel back once the crowds have gone.

You did not say if it was a rocket or a shuttle. Rockets have much smaller crowds. Each of the shuttles are now making there last trip into space. One came back a week ago and I think there are two more before the program stops. So if it is a shuttle this will be one of only two chances anyone will have left to see this sight.

If this is the case expect the crowds to be bigger than the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day. Having said all that if you have a chance to view a shuttle launch then it will be well worth the traffic afterwards.

Regards Dave

Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member
    We are going to be there then, so I hope it's a shuttle. Either way I think my children will love to see either
    Jan&Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    I'm sure the last shuttle launch is at the end of June and that's when the program ends.
    Garry Pullan

Looks as if it's a rocket details below.

Regards Dave

=========================================

August 5, 2011 • Atlas 5 • Juno
    Launch Time: 12:10 p.m. - 1:40p.m. EDT
    Launch Site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station
    The United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket will launch NASA's Juno spacecraft to Jupiter. Juno will investigate the giant planet's formation, evolution and structure from an elliptical orbit.

Dave Lewis

If you read this post and want to see one of the last two launches then these are the dates.

April 19, 2011 • STS-134 Shuttle Endeavour
    Launch Time: 7:48 p.m. EDT

June 28, 2011 Shuttle Atlantis•ULF 7
    Launch Time: 3:48 p.m.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member
    The rocket launches aren't as popular as the Shuttle launches generally so traffic shouldnt be too much of a problem.

We've got everything crossed that Atlantis goes on time as my brother is desperate to see one. He''s bought tickets 3 times and each time it has been scrubbed from the timeframe we are there.
    We've been lucky enough to see 2 and really hope to make it 3. But we only have a window of a few days as we come home on 1st July.

If we can't get tickets to see it from Kennedy, which I suspect is highly likely then we'll go to probably Space View park, or somewhere else in Titusville or possibly Jetty Park or Cocoa beach (which sometimes gives a better view as you get the full view whereas at Jetty Park unless you are right at the end of the pier there is a hill in the way to obscure the moment the rockets fire up.

Babblin Boo

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We have seen both a rocket and several shuttle launches, the rocket launches are not as popular so you should not have a problem with traffic. At the recent shuttle launch the journey there, which should have taken 45minutes took 1.1/2 hours and the trip back took 4hours, but I would do it again in a flash.
    Lyn

We saw a shuttle launch - went twice, first time it was cancelled just before take off. No problems with traffic either way, and certainly did not get stuck for hours!

We went to the Space View Park at Titusville. Great location and it was full of shuttle enthusiasts - they had links to the countdown which was broadcast by someone with speakers. (nice cafe for breakfast, too, while we waited![msnwink]) Good if you have children as you can take a rug and sit on the grass and have a picnic while you wait - the kids can look around this interesting park, too. They had souvenirs for sale and food. Better for children than being stuck in a hot car.

It is right opposite the launch pad, and still quite spectacular, though there are places which are nearer to the lauch - but think some of these do get locked up with traffic.

Here is a link to my report:

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...-atlantis.aspx

Directions:

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...le-launch.aspx

Hope you get to see it!
    ellie

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    I'd definitely recommend a trip - traffic or no traffic, shuttle or rocket, its something that you'll never forget. We usually take a trip to cocoa beach to watch, though im sure there are plenty of other places that you'll get a fantastic view from [msnsmile2]