Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Premium economy

We were upgraded free to Premium at Christmas and were lucky enough to be given the front two seats (downstairs!) so had a lot of legroom. However, the seats did not recline as much as we expected, and the leg rest was totally useless and did not come up far enough to support your legs. The people behind had about 7 inches more room than they would have done in Economy, so we felt sorry for them if they paid hundreds of pounds to upgrade.

The food was ok, served on china, but I am not sure it was any different from Economy (served in plastic). There was Bucks Fizz on boarding, but not bothered about that. [cheers]

Is it worth it? Well it was nice to be upgraded free, but we were glad we hadn't paid any extra, as it wasn't that good.

As Garry says, its a means to an end. I am always so excited on the journey over that I don't really notice what the seats are like. Coming home I would love to fly Business and be able to lie down and sleep, but the PE seats were not much better than Economy for sleeping.

When they ditch the 747s there won't be an upstairs, either.

It really is personal choice. If the cost doesn't matter then book it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great flight and a wonderful holiday - am sure you will!

ellie

Gold 5 Star Member
    We flew Premium on our last visit and in our opinion is wasn't worth the extra. We paid when we arrived at the airport thinking we'd get a bargain, we didn't.
    We didn't get priority exit as some nice passengers kept us waiting on the stairs whilst letting everyone in economy get off first, when it came to reclaiming baggage we waited ages, as did people in First Class.
    Paula

Florida Newbie
    We thought that premium upgrade was to expensive when we booked our flights to Florida for this comming May, but then when Virgin had a sale at half price (return) we upgraded, being over 6ft tall I hope to report it was worth it. I'll let you know

Barry

Personally I fly economy going and PE back. That way i manage to get some sleep as it is a little more spacious and comfortable. Something to consider if you leave it until you are at the airport - Easter is extremely busy and the chances are there won't be any seats.
    Therefore I would advise that you decide now any make sure you have what you want.

Elaine

If you can afford it , do it- although that seems an expensive quote?
    If money is not a problem- go UC at least one way- you will be spoilt forever then!!

Florida Chatterbox
    IMHO no, virgins PE is not worth it. Tried it twice (stupidly) the first time we asked not to be given seats anywhere near a child - as unfortunately they do allow them in PE - we were assured that the seats were upstairs and no children were booked in any of the seats. When we sat down we had the toddler from hell in front of us that screamed solidly for 9 hours and kicked the seat continuously. The parents were of the "arrogant, we can do what we like" variety and the air hostesses were afraid of them and their responses to being asked to control the child. As a result it was the worst plane journey we ever took. The second time we upgraded on the day after being talked into it by a rottweiller sales rep on the desk. We gave in and handed over the money visualising the same experience as before and guess what........it was. This time we were on the main floor, at the front and our seats were the last row of seats before economy with a flimsy bit of curtain separating the cabin. Yes we had two screamers from hell behind us and the two brats were allowed to run arround and constantly tried to squeese around my seat and bat me on the head with toys. How I didnt committ murder I dont know. Dont do it. Spend the money in the parks and on your holiday. 9 hours in economy is not that different to 9 hours in PE. Gill

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lewisp
    IMHO no, Tried it twice (stupidly) the first time we asked not to be given seats anywhere near a child - as unfortunately they do allow them in PE - we were assured that the seats were upstairs and no children were booked in any of the seats. [/quote]

I find this comment offensive. Why should children not be allowed in PE or anywhere on the plane for that matter?

You are after all heading to (possibly) the best family holiday destination in the world.

We have been taking our twins 2/3 times a year since they were 11 months old and they have "never" been a problem to other passengers. They have even been complimented on numerous flights for their good behavior.

Some parents though are a different matter.

Why should we not be allowed in PE with our children? Its up to the parents, firstly or secondly the staff to sort out any problems, thats their job!!

Please don't tar all children with the same brush.
    mike

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lewisp
    IMHO no, virgins PE is not worth it. Tried it twice (stupidly) the first time we asked not to be given seats anywhere near a child - as unfortunately they do allow them in PE - we were assured that the seats were upstairs and no children were booked in any of the seats. When we sat down we had the toddler from hell in front of us that screamed solidly for 9 hours and kicked the seat continuously. The parents were of the "arrogant, we can do what we like" variety and the air hostesses were afraid of them and their responses to being asked to control the child. As a result it was the worst plane journey we ever took. The second time we upgraded on the day after being talked into it by a rottweiller sales rep on the desk. We gave in and handed over the money visualising the same experience as before and guess what........it was. This time we were on the main floor, at the front and our seats were the last row of seats before economy with a flimsy bit of curtain separating the cabin. Yes we had two screamers from hell behind us and the two brats were allowed to run arround and constantly tried to squeese around my seat and bat me on the head with toys. How I didnt committ murder I dont know. Dont do it. Spend the money in the parks and on your holiday. 9 hours in economy is not that different to 9 hours in PE. Gill
    [/quote]

You were just unlucky but don't use that excuse to blind you to the fact that travelling PE is much better than Economy. Just because you fly PE does not exempt you from the kids from hell or arrogant parents, you can get them anywhere.

My wife and I have travelled PE every year since 2004 and we haven't had a bad experience yet and 9 hours in PE is vastly more acceptable than 9 hours in economy in our view.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00

My wife and I have travelled PE every year since 2004 and we haven't had a bad experience yet and 9 hours in PE is vastly more acceptable than 9 hours in economy in our view.
    [/quote]

That sums it up really. The question posed is whether it's worth the difference in price not whether it's more comfortable or desirable. To you it's worth it but to others it's not. There's no right or wrong involved.

I've never flown PE and have no plans to but, if you like it, good luck to you.

Super Moderator
    My brother has recently had a free upgrade to PE on a Virgin flight. He said whilst he thought it was nice to have china plates and a bit more leg room he will book economy again for his next flight.