Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which airline: Aer Lingus, Air France, Continental

Which airline: Aer Lingus, Air France, Continental

We are almost ready to book flights for Feb 2012. However, there are some issues.

There are 5 of us and so far prices (some already for Feb, some Jan 2012) are way out of control. This is what we can choose from:

We travel from Paris (CDG) to MCO and back from NYC to Paris again. All based on 6 seats as we intend to buy one extra for more space.

Aer Lingus: 2833 euros
    Air France: 4230 euros
    Continental: 4345 euros

Now, looking at prices we would say that no sane person would go for anything else but Aer Lingus. Last year we fles Continental for a lot less and were not too impressed, food for one was horrible but we don't care as we intend to take some sandwiches.

We do care however about seats, room, comfort, entertainment (films). We do not drink alcohol and bring 1 suitcase each.

So, what would you choose?

Has anyone recently flown Aer Lingus to MCO or JFK. We are not familiar with Air France (except an internal flight) so all help is appreciated.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Knowing that all airlines over sell their seats are you gauranteed the extra seat if there is not actually a person to sit in it?
    Christine

I'm not so sure that your plan to buy an extra seat will work. If there is nobody sitting on the seat they may put a standby passenger on and you have wasted your money.

How much extra would premium economy or upgrade cost you? That might be worth looking into or paying for extra legroom.

I have only flown with Continental out of the three above and they were ok but not brilliant.

Bernadette

Florida Expert
    Christine, I think you will find the Aer Lingus trip is via Dublin where you will do US Customs and Immigration. Have you looked at the actual timetable of these flights you could find yourself with a long layover.

I have flown Continental many times as it was convenient from our local airport and I didn't mind the indirect flight via Newark. That flight no longer exists and to go from local airport means Aer Lingus via Dublin but timings and horrendous cost has made it an impossible choice.
    Clare R

Timetables are all okay, that's not an issue.

You will get an extra seat but you need to book by phone.

An upgrade to premium economy is not possible for Aer Lingus and Continental as they don't have premium. Air France premium economy is over 5200 euros, not really an option, or do you disagree?
    But what would you choose??

Gold 5 Star Member
    What are the routings on those airlines? Air France do operate a direct flight but some of their itineraries use Delta on a codeshare (usually through Atlanta).

Is there a compelling reason why you want to book so far in advance? I'd say there was a good chance that better fares might appear in the coming weeks and months and it might be wise to hold off for a while. Having said that, the saving you'll make by using Aer Lingus looks hard to resist and the others would have to be an awful lot better for me to justify so much difference in fare. While there are minor differences between them, I honestly don't think that any of the economy offerings of the major airlines stand out that much.

Finally, paying for an extra unoccupied seat is fraught with danger - the airline might honour it but they'd be very unlikely to absolutely guarantee that it will be adjacent to where you're sitting. It looks like a very expensive risk you'd be taking.

Thanks Katy's Grandad.
    Aer lingus: Paris - Dublin - Orlando and back JFK - Dublin - Paris
    Continental: Paris - Newark - Orlando and back Newark - Paris
    Air France: Paris - Orlando and back JFK - Paris.

For the extra amount of 1400 euros, we don't mind changing planes in Dublin [msnsmile].

Why do we want to book so far in advance? Well, some people say the cheapest flights are booked earliest. We just want to have the tickets so we can book carhire, tickets, NYC hotel etc. There is no guarantee princes will be lower. I think is these 3 fares would all cost the same we would go for Air France, but AF is quite expensive, whenever you book.

If only we could get Virgin premium flying out of Paris, but they don't. [msncry]

Florida Chatterbox
    Aer Lingus now have business on Orlando route and is sometimes only 200 extra each way
    Good service on all my times flying with them
    ALison

Unfortunately, business is over 7000 euros. Not an option

Florida Chatterbox
    Flew to MCO with Aer Lingus (via Dublin) in November. Good flights - would have no hesitation in using them again.

One point though - the ability to do US Immigration in Dublin is restricted to certain destination cities (Boston, New York, etc). Orlando flights are not included or at least they weren't in Novemeber).