Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Dining

Florida Newbie

Dining

Hi,I've looked around on here for dining suggestions but noticed most of the threads are quite old now,have looked up some of the restuarants but was unable to find some of them.It's our 30th anniversary while staying in Rotonda in May.Are there any new ones that I should know about or any that have declined since the last visit?Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jan

Florida Expert
    Alas some have packed up and others re-opened with new names. I shall do my best to remember what I can but no doubt other Rotonda owners will add to the list. I am sure that wherever you stay will have a list of restaurants.

Daniels Steak House in Cape Haze has closed
    Barnacle Bills on Placida Road has closed

Prime Time on Placida Road at the end of Rotonda Bld West is open - noisy sports bar but good food
    Farlow's on the Water on the 776 is still there - eat inside or out
    Mama's is still there
    Howard's is still there - we enjoy it but it is not universally to everyone's taste
    Great Wall Buffet in the plaza by SweetBay - perhaps not for a 30th Anniversary but extremely good value
    La Stanza that used to be on 776 is now in Dearborn Street in the old Bootlegger's place. I ate there in January and it was fine.

Anniversary meals - Captains' Table (above Harpoon Harry's) at Fisherman's Village
    Crow's Nest in Venice just before you get to South Jetty.

If you haven't been for a few years have a look around Punta Gorda which has re-invested itself over the past few years. The owners of Harpoon Harry's has opened a Fish Restaurant at the new marina, there are a couple of big hotels including The Wyvern which has had very good reviews for their restaurant, there is also Benedetto's Steak Restaurant in Punta Gorda just over the bridge.

Have never tried it myself but guests have sang the praises of Temptations Restaurant in Boca Grande. The only problem is that in May a few of the restaurants start to reduce their hours and Temptations I am sure will come into that category.

Will be interested to read in a few months where you ended up on the Big Day.
    Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would second Clare re the Crow's Nest for an anniversary meal, reservations needed and request a window.
    Captains Table but a while since we have eaten here.

If you fancy driving a bit further, then Armanyd Circle in Sarasota is filled with restaurants, Columbia is excellent but not quiet so maybe not for an anniversary meal. The Cork & Bottle is also excellent.
    The link to a guide on this location is below.

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...ds-circle.aspx

Zydeco Grill on the Placida Rd.

Nicola's on 776 a great cheap Italien and better than Mama's in my opinion.

For Chinese P J Changs but this is in Fort Myers so a good drive but the best Chinese.

We are out in May so may bump into you and not know it.

Lynne

Agree with all Clare has said in the above but depending on when your anniversary is would recommend the dining room at the Boca Royale Country Club, Englewood. I would not go on their 'specials' nights which tend to get very crowded and noisy but the food in the main restaurant is excellent. The dining room is fairly formal - long trousers and shirt for the men - but has lovely panoramic views of the golf course. Definitely the place we go for special anniversarues.

Mo
    Maureen Green

Gold 5 Star Member
    For me number one every time is Farlows on the Water followed by Captains Table Wherever you go have a great time[8D]
    Ruth

There's also the Rum Bay restaurant on Palm Island. A nice Floridian restaurant with fantastic coconut shrimp.

Might not be be as high class as Captain's Table but you can only get to it by water taxi and if you time it right can be going across just as the sun sets with dolphins following your taxi. Pretty romantic [msntongue]

Bernadette

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was looking at Farlows on the water,we nearly went there last time,I like the sound some of the others too.I think I might stick with something fairly local so that we can get a cab,that way we can both celebrate with an alcoholic beverage[beer]

Jan

Florida Expert
    Taxis are not a general thing in Englewood, I believe these are one of only a very few companys:-

Marys Taxi
    210 S Indiana Ave
    Englewood, FL 34223
    941-474-8294

Indiana Avenue is the contiuation of the 776 (South McCall Road) as it heads north towards Venice.
    Clare R

I have just heard of a new restaurant which opened last week. MC's report below:

"There is a new restaurant on Manasota key, next to the White Elephant called Flounders. They have built a lovely back dining room with full bar that is open on all sides and you can sit at the back ledge and see the beach traffic go by. They have also created an outside eating area with umbrellas over the tables and brought in sand so that you can have the full beach experience complete with sand between your toes. The inside dining room has been remodeled and with another full bar here it is as nice as any restaurant you would find in any of the surrounding, larger beach towns in our area. They did a lovely job in rebuilding this restaurant and the food we had was quite good (Mostly seafood including freshly shucked oysters with other casual fare.) Our dish was a hamburger with very unusual fixings that was excellent; not something we have ever had before, believe it or not."

Just another option for you. We'll probably try it out at Easter and, if so will post a review.

Found another new restaurant (to us) on Boca Grande. The Outlet restaurant at the Inlet Resort. As you drive onto the island turn left at 12th Street and drive straight into Resort carpark. Walk round to the water side and there is a deck with tables. It is only open from 7am to 2pm but a great way to start the day before heading to the beach. Huge breakfast menu with daily specials. Also very nice staff and a good place for Manatee spotting.

Mo
    Maureen Green