Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where To Go?

Where To Go?

Hi all,

We're taking my parents to Orlando for a couple of weeks in the second half of September. As they are 70s/80s we won't be doing much in the way of theme parks

Last time they were over, a couple of years ago, we did Mount Dora, Blue Springs, St Pete's , KSC, but this time I'd like to show them something different.

Can anyone recommend some places to visit for a couple of sprightly pensioners? Somewhere within a 2 hour drive radius of Kissimmee would be great for day trips.

It's also my mother's birthday whilst we're there, so any reccommendations for a nice place to have a celebratory dinner?

Thanks!
    Keith

Bok Tower is a lovely place to visit.
    Lynne

I was going to say the same Lynne!! My parents of the same age, loved it there and they always enjoy EPCOT too.

We loved Eleven at Reunion Resort for a special meal. You can see the Disney fireworks in the distance from the terrace.

I haven't yet made it myself, but I understand Winter Garden is very nice. There is a farmers market every Saturday morning and I believe there is a gentle boat trip through the park
    Shirley

I've never even heard of Bok Tower, but it looks interesting - thanks Lynne. Eleven looks good too, thanks Shirley.

Any more? Last time I looked at a lunch/dinner train in the Mount Doras area, but the times didn't work out. I was looking again just now and it seems like the website is defunct...has that closed down recently?
    Keith

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    We love Winter Park and go on our first Saturday of every trip.

There is a lovely Farmers Market on a Saturday morning and there's lots of fresh baked goods for sale, quiches, bread, cakes etc.

Then you could go to the Morse Museum which is dedicated to Tiffany Art and has the largest collection in the world.

Then could do the Scenic Boat Tour which takes you through 3 lakes and tells you the history of the area and of Rollins College.

It would be a lovely day out.

Here's the links:-

http://www.cityofwinterpark.org/Page...rs_Market.aspx

http://www.scenicboattours.com/home.htm

http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Also you could go to Lakeridge Winery and do the wine tour:-

http://www.lakeridgewinery.com/

Have a lovely time

Sandra
    Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    Winter Park and the scenic boat tour is a great day out. We took friends with us from age 30's to 60's and everyone had a wonderful time. There is also a Cheesecake Factory restaurant there for lunch.

For a special Birthday meal for your Mum, have a look at Gaylord Palms Resort, we love Villa-de-Flora but there are a few other lovely restaurants inside this superb hotel to choose from.

**A Tip for anyone dining here** Take your car-park pass in with you and get it stamped by your server...This gives you FREE parking. Saves between $10-14

St Augustine is another great place your parents might like.

Have fun
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

Gold 5 Star Member
    my parents and my elderly neighbours love our trips to Silver springs

I think that Seaworld is a good park for all ages.
    Fantasy of Flight might also interest them as they can easily miss out on the Immersion bit at the beginning and would enjoy the walkround and the back stage tour. On your way to Fantasy of Flight they could call at the Barn (not far off the I4 Junction 48) for a look round and a lunch.

I too, highly recommend Bok Tower for this age group.
    If you decide to take the trip to St Augustine I think it is better to make a 2 day visit and go to Washington Gardens en route and actually then have a full day in St Augustine.

Angela

Some great ideas! Thanks all [clap]
    Keith

The railway at Mount Dora closed down some time ago which is a pity as we always enjoyed.

However a trip to Tarpon Springs on the Gulf Coast is fun, you can go out on a Sponge boat and watch then collect sponges and there are some nice restaurants there too.

Andrena