Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Timer

Karl, all the advice given above is spot-on. In addition, as you're going at Easter pack a couple of "proper" Easter Eggs to take with you as they have no idea over there!

I would have a good read through the "driving" section of the forum if you'll be driving in the USA for the first time, there's stuff in there that's worth knowing. All you could possibly want to know about shopping and eating out is covered in the relevant sections on here too.

This site is a great source of info, but I can also recommend a book - Brit Guide to Orlando, which we as a family have used as our constant companion on all our trips to Florida. There are some great tips in there.

Keep asking the questions - it keeps the forum going!

I wish we were going at Easter!
    Dave.

Florida Savvy
    Im their in 8 weeks...come on hurry up!!

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    You may think this will be a once in a lifetime holiday, most of us thought that the first time we went, don't try to do too much and just enjoy. Ask as many questions on here as you want, someone will know the answer. If you haven't hired your car or bought your park tickets yet by all means shop around but I will be surprised if you can better the links at the top of the page for price and service. I would do all the Disney Parks, Sea World and Universal. I agree that you need to plan an itinery before you go, it saves a lot of time whilst there and you know in advance what you have time for.
    Lyn

Good advice above, enjoy the parks but also enjoy the villa you have chosen and have rest days.
    A afternoon trip to Celebration is always worth a visit, just walk round the town and a meal in one of the restaurants is always a pleasure.
    If you love shopping make sure you have plenty of space in your suitcase for your return home, Mall of the Millenia, Prime 1 outlets and Florida Mall always a favourite.
    Enjoy and I am sure you will want to return to Florida in the near future.

Val

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    Also try and have a day at the beach - it's really such a relaxing day! Our favourite is Holmes Beach at Anna Marie Island - takes 90 minutes to get there - but it's worth the journey. Have breakfast on the way - or wait till you get there - there's a really good restaurant on the beach, plenty of parking and also picnic areas in the shade.
    Most of all - just enjoy!
    Jean

Gold 5 Star Member
    Along with the rest days, with a 9 year old girl I would have thought Sea World would be a good option. There's not many I know who don't love to see the dolphins and other animals close up.

Also there are many State Parks which offer a chance to relax and only cost a few doollars for a car load.

Lake Louisa is probably the closest but although not a State Park, Kissimmee Lakefront s also a nice one with a large play area under cover so if its really sunny it wont be as hot.
    Babblin Boo

Hi Karl

Your community Windwood Cay is situated just off Highway 192 East not to far from Poinciana Blvd so your situated not far from where the 192 meets the 535 and there is lot's of good Restaurants to choose from :- Uno's Chicago grill,Chilli's,Olive Garden and if you go past the traffic lights east bound you will find Applebee's which have some great meal deal offer! for those on a budget.

As the guys have already mentioned you will be very tired after your flight and most prob! crash out after you have hit the supermarket for essentials etc, and then wide awake the next morning bright and early!! so yes that would be a great time to visit a park that will not Exhaust you all so consider Seaworld or like Christine says Animal Kingdom, but do check out the park closure times as they will vary a lot.
    My advice would be hit the park's early and come away mid day and if required go back late evening as some of the Queuing times can be quite long!! and you will avoid them this way! or maybe purchase a fast pass! Don't forget to go on the NEW Harry Potter ride Fantastic.

And finaly ensure you leave time to rest and shopping days at the Malls they are great.

Have a great time and enjoy!!!!

Mark

Florida Junior
    Thanks everyone this is great advice
    Karl

Celebration is also fab for breakfast at the Marketstreet Cafe. Thats where we plan to go on our first morning this year. Lots of yummy pancakes etc.
    Longhorn's was our fav restuarant.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by karl2000
    Hi All,

My family and I are going to Florida for the first time at Easter, we have our tickets for Disney and Universal, so that's the parks done. We are going for two weeks and there are 5 of us, 4 adults and my nine year old daughter, we done a lot of looking around on the internet but can any of you give me some good tips/ hints paractical advice/ do's and dont's while we are there. Thanks guys.
    [/quote]

Here's something that my wife drew up for people who rent our villa, hope that it is useful to you:-

A few notes that might help you to settle in a little more quickly and get the most out of your holiday.

Groceries

Because this is a tourist area most British grocery items are available but at a price. Things that you may wish to take with you are :-

Instant coffee – American brands are rather bitter
    Tea bags – most tea bags in America have strings and tags attached
    Brown sauce – I paid nearly $5 for a small bottle when we ran out
    Salad Cream
    Washing powder- I have yet to fully work out the mysteries of soap powders and bleach and stain removers. Basic American washing powder is useless so I usually take a small quantity of Persil bio tablets with me.
    All these will travel OK in plastic containers

Bread – Most American bread is very sweet, by trial and error we have found that the best bread to buy is the Chicago Italian Bread from the Publix in store bakery and the French bread from the Wal Mart in store bakery. Cuban bread is also good.
    Butter – virtually unspreadable from the fridge, we usually buy the Land Lakes brand with added canola oil.
    Sugar – generally sold in huge quantities for baking or in cardboard tubes with a pourer ( a little like old fashioned salt containers) for about 90 cents, this should last you for the duration.
    Milk –Sold in percentage fat, to 1% 2% and 4% , our semi-skimmed falls between 1% and 2%

Supermarkets

Publix is the nearest store a few miles north on the N27 . Turn left at Sand Mine Road, there are lights at this junction.
    This is a nice store with a bakery, hot takeaway counter and salad bar and a section for people with food allergies. British goods are found in the ethnic isle; you should be able to get everything you need here however it is a little more expensive than Wal-Mart which is about ten minutes further drive along the N27. Wal-Mart is visible on the right hand side of the road about a mile after passing the exit to the 192. Turn right at the lights at Cagans Crossing there is a sign post for the store.

Wal-Mart is huge and is open 24/7. Stay close together in store I once lost the kids for 40 minutes and is the reason why we purchased radio phones. This store sells everything from groceries to weight lifting equipment and clothes to tyres for your sports utility vehicle. Big culture shock, however if Wal-Mart sell something it is likely to be cheaper than anywhere else.

We usually pop into Publix on arrival at the villa and pick up a few essential items for drinks and breakfast plus some hot food from the hot deli counter. Early next morning when we wake before dawn, about 4.00am, because we are still on UK time, we go to Wal Mart to do a big shop. The store is quiet at this time, the only other shoppers tend to be Brits who cannot sleep. Please note that alcohol cannot be purchased in the middle of the night, not sure of the exact licensing hours. Beer and wine is on sale in the supermarkets but you have to go to a liquor store for anything stronger, there is a separate liquor store at Wal Mart. I suggest you get a couple of cocktail mixers, there’s nothing quite like sitting in the spa at night with a strawberry daiquiri. There’s a blender in the kitchen for blitzing the cocktails. You can make them ‘virgin’ without rum for the kids.

Walgreens drug stores are all over place and sell basic grocery items so you can always
    Roger