Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New york ?

New york ?

Hi
    First of all i know this is an Orlando and Florida forum, I have asked many questions regarding allsorts in these areas, and had many wonderful replies from the great members on this forum so please i would be very grateful for any advice regarding New York [msnsmile2]
    we are looking to book for the 24th November 2 adults and 2 children,
    we would like to fly from Manchester. Could anyone tell me if it’s better to book in advance or leave it till nearer the time also could anyone give me any tips as to area to stay in, hotel, restraunts,bars and the like. We are going in November and i know it is cold but how cold are we talking [msnscared].We looking at paying £2000-£2500(cheaper if pos)
    Any help would be gratefully received
    Thanks
    (sorry if this is in the wrong area [msnembarrased])
    Mike
    If Everton were playing in my back garden i would close the curtains
    (Shanks)

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have been to New York early December and it was quite cold, we had some snow. The weather is very much like the UK and they do have cold winters also. The cold did not deter us, we had a wonderful time and we stayed at the Avalon hotel, which was one block from the Empire State Building. Good quality hotels cost a fair amount, so I would avoid cheap hotels. Do your research on trip advisor for guest feedback and of course you can't please everyone all of the time, so some comments you have to take with a pinch of salt. We did a great deal of christmas shopping and unfortunately didn't get to the comedy club. However, we did see a show "hairspray" on Broadway. A great trip and can't wait to return.[msnsmile]
    Jan&Steve

Thanks for the reply SteveandJan
    Will defo be doing some research on trip advisor What did you think of your hotel? Would you recommend it?
    Thanks
    Mike
    (Shanks)

Last time we went, we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, just off 5th, and very near central Park- really lovely hotel, fabulous burger bar in basement, and lovely breakfast- was next to Carnegie Hall, and near a little diner that is on the Tropicana advert- had a nice breakfast there too. It was great for shopping, had a fab view looking straight over Central park. Quiet, comfortable , modern and fair size rooms.

Hi Susan j
    will check that one out
    When is thanksgiving? is it the third Friday in November? we have been told to avoid that weekend as it is very busy
    Is this true
    thanks
    Mike
    (Shanks)

We have been to New York a number of times at Christmastime and usually stay in the Belvedere which I can highly recommend. It is on 9th and 48th Street. We also stayed in the Wellington once, it is next to Carnegie Hall opposite the Carnegie Deli which is a must if you want to experience the real New York .... my picture with the owner Sandy was on the wall somewhere in there.

We booked in the February to go in the December .... it is a very popular place to go around Thanksgiving and Christmastime and the good hotels get booked up very quickly so personally I would seriously start to look now.
    Wendy

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dynomike red
    Hi Susan j
    will check that one out
    When is thanksgiving? is it the third Friday in November? we have been told to avoid that weekend as it is very busy
    Is this true
    thanks
    Mike
    [/quote]

Thanksgiving in the USA is the fourth Thursday in November, so 2011 is on November 24th. We stayed at the Sheraton just off Times Square a couple of years ago which was a great location and the hotel was really nice.

It might also be worth you looking into a private condo or apartment rather than two hotel rooms or a family suite.
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
    Last time we went, we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, just off 5th, and very near central Park- really lovely hotel, fabulous burger bar in basement, and lovely breakfast- was next to Carnegie Hall, and near a little diner that is on the Tropicana advert- had a nice breakfast there too. It was great for shopping, had a fab view looking straight over Central park. Quiet, comfortable , modern and fair size rooms.
    [/quote]

Know it well - Breakfast at Norma's is as good as it gets in NYC. The Parker Meridien is nice but certainly not cheap. Last time we had breakfast there my bill came to nearly $100 but worth it for a treat.

I wouldn't describe it as "just off 5th" though Susan.

Gold 5 Star Member
    The Avalon was a nice small hotel. Rooms, clean and furnished well and service was great.
    Jan&Steve

Stayed at the Novotel just off Times Square. Brilliant location and really decent hotel. Staff we're really friendly! Just make sure you take plenty of warm clothes. Went once in December and I froze because I hadn't taken enough warm clothing.

Elaine