Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New york ?

Thanks for all the replies very helpful
    Wife wants to know if the Friday after thanksgiving is sales day in the shops(credit card meltdown[msnscared])as we will be doing Christmas shopping all so are there any districts we need to avoid for hotels
    thanks
    Mike
    If Everton were playing in my back garden i would close the curtains
    (Shanks)

I can vouch for the Belvadire, it has coffee makers, fridges and microwaves in all rooms so handy if you want to pop back for a snack.

The burger joint in the Parker Meridien has got to be a must - the best ever, and yes the sales start the day after thanks giving. Try reading some of the trip reports, you may find them intresting. [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
    Last time we went, we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, just off 5th, and very near central Park- really lovely hotel, fabulous burger bar in basement, and lovely breakfast- was next to Carnegie Hall, and near a little diner that is on the Tropicana advert- had a nice breakfast there too. It was great for shopping, had a fab view looking straight over Central park. Quiet, comfortable , modern and fair size rooms.
    [/quote]

Know it well - Breakfast at Norma's is as good as it gets in NYC. The Parker Meridien is nice but certainly not cheap. Last time we had breakfast there my bill came to nearly $100 but worth it for a treat.

I wouldn't describe it as "just off 5th" though Susan.
    [/quote]

I would. When we came out at the 'other' entrance, and walked to the end of the street, FAO Schwartz was almost opposite. Yep Breakfast wasn't cheap, but is good. The Burger joint has been hailed best in NY by one of the TV Chefs -heston whatever

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's actually between 6th & 7th Avenues so not off 5th at all but I see what you mean.

I think the burger place is a brilliant piece of marketing. Keep it a secret and those 'in the know' will flock there for what they see as exclusivity and then tell all the people they know about it. The real truth is that everybody already knows it's there and the burgers are really good (and at $13 for a cheeseburger & fries they ought to be!) but not really anything you can't get at a dozen places within walking distance. Bernie Madoff employed a very similar tactic with his 'investments' and took billions off people who thought they were getting something nobody else knew about before it all went pear-shaped.

I see that the 'massage' that David Beckham had which is now subject of a law suit took place when he stayed there. He should just have taken a burger up to his room instead.[msnwink]

New York is one of our favourite places to visit. We have been many times over the years and have seen lots of changes.

It gets very cold in winter with massive snow storms so take plenty of warm clothing. We normally stay at the NY Hilton near Radio City, the Crowne Plaza right on Times Sq, the Belvedere near Times Sq, or the Empire next to the Lincoln Centre. Hotel rates in New York can be high but you can get some good rates by searching around.

Lots of sales the day after Thanksgiving which is Black Friday but be prepared for the shops being crowded with people looking for bargains!

One of our favourite places to go late at night after a trip to the theatre is The View which is a revolving restaurant and bar at the top of the Marriott Marquis Hotel at Times Sq. You can have a meal or just go for a drink in the bar. Lots of window seats for two. The views of the NYC skyline are amazing.
    Jim

Florida Chatterbox
    Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for a celebration (40th)in NYC that is about mid to low high range - thanks.
    Brian

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bmitch
    Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for a celebration (40th)in NYC that is about mid to low high range - thanks.
    [/quote]
    TAO!!

Amazing thai restaurant and has featured on tv quite a few times (Sex and the City) for one. It has a 50ft budda against the back wall. The bar is buzzing and it's the place to be seen but in no way 'up itself'.

We loved it there.
    Garry Pullan

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks Garry -wil put it on the list!
    Brian

Thanks for all the info guys, Wow i have a lot to check up on trip advisor!! The Avalon looks good value and the room looks big for 4 people
    Can any one recommend a "WOW" restaurant (not to pricy [msnwink]) for girls 11 and 15, something they won’t get back home
    Cheers
    Mike
    If Everton were playing in my back garden i would close the curtains
    (Shanks)