Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fast lane

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trupial
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by donny
    which is the fast lane on the 192 and I4 or more important which is the slow lane [msnscared], cause thats where i'll be!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]

Ideally try and drive in the second lane when more than two lanes, that way your not likely to get drawn towards an exit you don't want to be on, as some slow lanes turn into "right turn only" lanes. Your confidence will grow very quickly.
    [/quote]

The following is from the Florida Driver's Handbook which some might find helpful:

Expressway Safety Reminders

•Plan your trip. Know just where you will get on and get off.
    •Drive in the right lane and pass on the left. If there are three lanes, use the right lane for lower speed driving, the left for passing. If you stay in the right lane, watch for cars entering the expressway. Adjust your speed or move into the center lane so they can enter safely.
    •Never stop on the pavement, shoulder, or connecting ramp of an expressway except in an emergency. If your vehicle breaks down, it may be parked on the side of the expressway (completely off the pavement) for no more than six hours. Raise your hood and tie a white cloth to your antenna or left door handle to show you need help.
    •Never back up on an expressway entrance ramp or exit ramp. The only exception to this would be if you are trying to enter an expressway through an exit. In this case, you would see a "WRONG WAY" or "DO NOT ENTER" sign. Then you must back up or turn around.
    •Do not cross, drive on or park on the median strip.
    •Do not follow too closely.
    Rear end collisions are the greatest danger on expressways. Always leave room for emergency stops.
    •Stop driving when you feel tired. On long trips the hum of the engine and your lack of movement can make you feel sleepy. Stop for a cup of coffee, a short walk, or a nap. Do not risk falling asleep at the wheel.

Florida Expert
    I don't drive often when we're over there but either last time or the time before I was persuaded to have a go. There were quite a lot of bush (?) fires about over the time we were there, heavy traffic and then a fire engine coming towards me [msneek] So keep an eye out for all eventualaties! And I coped [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Ideally try and drive in the second lane when more than two lanes, that way your not likely to get drawn towards an exit you don't want to be on,[/quote]

Isn't that called 'middle lane hoggers'?
    [/quote]

they are known as 'clod's' ( centre lane only drivers ) where i live.

Dave

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Ideally try and drive in the second lane when more than two lanes, that way your not likely to get drawn towards an exit you don't want to be on,[/quote]

Isn't that called 'middle lane hoggers'?
    [/quote]

they are known as 'clod's' ( centre lane only drivers ) where i live.

Dave
    [/quote]
    So what do you use the left lane for ?
    If you drive up to speed in the middle lane I can't see the problem, I see your point if your driving to slow.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:So what do you use the left lane for ?
    If you drive up to speed in the middle lane I can't see the problem, I see your point if your driving to slow.[/quote]

Ask a policeman!

I rest my case[msnwink]

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    So what do you use the left lane for ?
    If you drive up to speed in the middle lane I can't see the problem, I see your point if your driving to slow.
    [/quote]

The left hand lane is the DRIVING lane and that is where you should be unless you are OVERTAKING - so that is what you use the left hand lane for unless you are overtaking or directed to change lanes eg by emergency services or road works.

Stating that you are doing the speed limit in the middle lane so it is not a problem is not a valid argument and it does and can cause other problems.

Florida Chatterbox
    Surely the right-hand lane?

Well a friend of ours got stopped by the police for "weaving" he was just driving as we would here, overtake and back into inside lane, overtake and back into inside lane. He told them that this is how we drive here but they said he was weaving!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:And don't forget that you can be overtaken on the inside and outside![/quote]

Undoubtedly this will happen, however bear in mind that it is illegal to 'undertake'(overtake on right) unless there are lines of traffic.

Because the practice is so widespread, people think it is allowed and it isn't!!! Loads of threads on this and several people on here have got tickets, or been pulled over by police.
    [/quote]

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by grayster
    Surely the right-hand lane?
    [/quote]

As Trupial made the original post, and listed his location as UK, I posted as for the UK road system however, the SAME rules apply in the States where the right hand lane is the driving lane and the other lanes are the overtaking lanes. I hope this clarifies the situation for you Grayster

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Well a friend of ours got stopped by the police for "weaving" he was just driving as we would here, overtake and back into inside lane, overtake and back into inside lane. He told them that this is how we drive here but they said he was weaving![/quote]

As in UK it is not undertaking if all lanes are filled with traffic and the inside lane traffic goes faster than an outside lane.

'Weaving' is a common offence and covered in all the State statute e.g.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Weaving is a form of reckless and aggressive driving. Swerving between lanes and cutting off other drivers in traffic is dangerous and reckless behavior. And it's also illegal.

The law states that no person may endanger the safety of any person or property by the negligent operation of a vehicle.
    Weaving is just this type of behavior. [/quote]

It is normally people diving from lane to lane to gain a car length or two and 'cutting up' people.