Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Insurance

Florida Chatterbox
    Paul,

This is exactly where I was going.
    When you have a package deal the tour operator carries the risk. But when you DIY it you have to carry the risk and need to insure against the unforeseen happening.

I think what has brought this into focus is the impact the Ash cloud had last year and how folks were "stranded" on holiday with their accommodation expired and no indication of when the airlines would get clearance to fly again.

So you need to make sure that when you DIY it you have contingencies in place to cover "living" expenses until the airline gets your return flight re-scheduled.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We were on a package holiday when the ash cloud happened. Got nothing back from insurance. Ended up paing for our own flight back, TC couldn't get us home for another 2 weeks. We were moved from AI to BB couldn't claim anything for extra expenses, and only had 2 beds for 3 people. So you are no better off with a package deal when an act of God occurs.
    Christine

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you book a package holiday as opposed to a DIY holiday your insurance covers for EXACTLY the same things. The only difference is with a package holiday you are noramlly covered by ABTA.

There is a misconception that there are different insurances for package holidays and DIY ones, in the vast majority of cases they are excactly the same.

I have beeing doing DIY holidays to Orlando for the past 11 years and my insurance covers me for everything.
    [/quote]

Paul,
    Which insurance company do you use that covers you for everything?

Claire

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by clairemca
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you book a package holiday as opposed to a DIY holiday your insurance covers for EXACTLY the same things. The only difference is with a package holiday you are noramlly covered by ABTA.

There is a misconception that there are different insurances for package holidays and DIY ones, in the vast majority of cases they are excactly the same.

I have beeing doing DIY holidays to Orlando for the past 11 years and my insurance covers me for everything.
    [/quote]

Paul,
    Which insurance company do you use that covers you for everything?

Claire
    [/quote]

I was going to ask that too, we are renewing ours and would love to find one that covers everything.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
    Paul,

This is exactly where I was going.
    When you have a package deal the tour operator carries the risk. But when you DIY it you have to carry the risk and need to insure against the unforeseen happening.[/quote]I don't think this is so at all. In both scenarios your insurance company takes the risk, that's what you pay them for.

What you do need to do is to make sure that your travel insurance covers everything that you want it to cover. Lots of them don't cover acts of God or similar conditions. It's up to you to make it clear that whatever risk you want covering your travel insurance does. Having said that, I don't think there's any one company (and probably not a cheapo one - as in everything else in life, you get what you pay for) that does cover everything.

Flight problem? Claim on your travel insurance
    Accommodation problem? Claim on your travel insurance
    Lose something? Claim on your travel insurance
    Someone ill? Claim on your travel insurance
    Something else go wrong? Claim on your travel insurance - they'll soon tell you if you're not covered for it!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn

I was going to ask that too, we are renewing ours and would love to find one that covers everything.
    [/quote]

I don't know about "everything" Fraser but I've had outstanding cover from my Amex Platinum charge card and it covers all the family even when they aren't travelling with me. I'd say for frequent travellers it is very hard to match. Lots of other benefits like hotel and car rental discounts/upgrades and Executive Lounge access all over the world.

I stupidly left my iPhone and Bose headphones in the seat pocket of a flight from San Francisco to Dallas recently. I rang Amex and they told me to buy replacements. When I got home the money was already in my bank account.

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn

[/quote]

I don't know about "everything" Fraser but I've had outstanding cover from my Amex Platinum charge card and it covers all the family even when they aren't travelling with me. I'd say for frequent travellers it is very hard to match. Lots of other benefits like hotel and car rental discounts/upgrades and Executive Lounge access all over the world.

I stupidly left my iPhone and Bose headphones in the seat pocket of a flight from San Francisco to Dallas recently. I rang Amex and they told me to buy replacements. When I got home the money was already in my bank account.
    [/quote]

Sound good Phil, you're post made me think though and I checked my HSBC premier account as I recall it had insurance with it, turns out it is really good cover, so no need to buy extra anyway. Thanks, without your post I wouldn't have thought about that.

wrpac00
    Flexicover, I need insurance for 90+ days and the companies that do that are few and far between.