Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Insurance

DIY Insurance

Hi,

Any ideas on where I could get insurance for my DIY holiday? Flights booked through Expedia. Staying in Disney 1st week and staying in a villa 2nd week. Where can I insurance to cover me should something like the volcano ash cloud happen again?

Thanks,
    Claire

Just put 'Travel insurance to USA' into your favorite search engine.

You should get a list of all the travel comparison site.

You just need to check the small print to see if they are offering what you want.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I think most insurance company will do travel insurance. Post Office, Tesco, Direct Line, Aviva, etc Depends on what sort of insurance you are looking for, one trip insurance or an annual family policy.. Most of the insurance companies will show there cheapest cover which will be for Europe, you need to make sure you have Worldwide cover so that America is covered.

As to there exclusions etc, most companies are all the same, with regards to act of war and god etc.
    CERI

Super Moderator
    Claire there are only a few insurance companies that cover events such as the ash cloud and you will need to make sure you read the small print very carefully. For peace of mind if you google travel insurance make sure you ask for worldwide policies with ash cover

Florida Chatterbox
    I think what Claire is after here is help with insurance to cover all aspects of DIY booking.

When booking a package through a travel agent / tour operator you "usually" (I've put that in quotes as I know there will be exceptions) are covered for most aspects of your holiday for knock on effects.

When you go DIY and book flights, accommodation, car hire, park tickets etc all separately and a delay of some kind hits and you become a no-show and your accommodation is let to another or your car hire company has written you off.

Or if you are lucky enough to get the flights extended which means you need an extra day or two added on to your accommodation / car hire.

Also you have got there on schedule but your return is delayed and you need more time in your accommodation etc,

What happens then? How can you cover for these occurrences?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
    I think what Claire is after here is help with insurance to cover all aspects of DIY booking.

When booking a package through a travel agent / tour operator you "usually" (I've put that in quotes as I know there will be exceptions) are covered for most aspects of your holiday for knock on effects.

When you go DIY and book flights, accommodation, car hire, park tickets etc all separately and a delay of some kind hits and you become a no-show and your accommodation is let to another or your car hire company has written you off.

Or if you are lucky enough to get the flights extended which means you need an extra day or two added on to your accommodation / car hire.

Also you have got there on schedule but your return is delayed and you need more time in your accommodation etc,

[/quote]

That's exactly what I need help with!![msnsmile]

Florida Savvy
    Hi Claire

We have had an annual worlwide policy now for several years with Direct Travel (0845 605 2500 www.direct-travel.co.uk) which costs approx £70 for our family of 4.

They paid up on the whole of our claim for a DIY trip we had to cancel last Xmas when my father-in-law was rushed into intensive care 24 hours before we were due to travel. We got balance of flights refunded (BA refunded the tax/fees portion), car hire, Sea World and ICE tickets. We were staying in our own villa so no accommodation claim. We had to provide receipts and a medical certificate completed by my FIL's doctor. They paid up in full and very quickly, no quibble. I also did not notice any increase in our premium when it came up for renewal.

They also sent us a letter during the Iceland volcano saga to say that they were one of very few companies who were giving consideration to claims arising from the ash cloud disruption. We were lucky enough only to have been stranded in Scotland and just incurred a £35 charge to drive our hire car back home - not even worth bothering putting in a claim for.

I would definitely recommend them.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra, Direct Travel is who I've always used before.

I am just worried in case something like the ash cloud happened again and I couldn't travel if the insurance company would pay out on the cost of my hotel and villa. Or if we got stuck out in Florida would they pay for our accommodation.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SandraBulmer
    Hi Claire

We have had an annual worlwide policy now for several years with Direct Travel (0845 605 2500 www.direct-travel.co.uk) which costs approx £70 for our family of 4.

They paid up on the whole of our claim for a DIY trip we had to cancel last Xmas when my father-in-law was rushed into intensive care 24 hours before we were due to travel. We got balance of flights refunded (BA refunded the tax/fees portion), car hire, Sea World and ICE tickets. We were staying in our own villa so no accommodation claim. We had to provide receipts and a medical certificate completed by my FIL's doctor. They paid up in full and very quickly, no quibble. I also did not notice any increase in our premium when it came up for renewal.

They sound good, will make note for future reference. Not bad price either

They also sent us a letter during the Iceland volcano saga to say that they were one of very few companies who were giving consideration to claims arising from the ash cloud disruption. We were lucky enough only to have been stranded in Scotland and just incurred a £35 charge to drive our hire car back home - not even worth bothering putting in a claim for.

I would definitely recommend them.

Sandra
    [/quote]
    They sound good, will make note for future reference. Not bad price either

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK

[/quote]

If you book a package holiday as opposed to a DIY holiday your insurance covers for EXACTLY the same things. The only difference is with a package holiday you are noramlly covered by ABTA.

There is a misconception that there are different insurances for package holidays and DIY ones, in the vast majority of cases they are excactly the same.

I have beeing doing DIY holidays to Orlando for the past 11 years and my insurance covers me for everything.