Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Villa's beside Water

Villa's beside Water

There's a couple of villa's we've looked at that back right onto wee lakes ( and I mean they look like a few feet between the lake and the pool), I wondered if this made it a bit insecty- Anyone got any opions on being right beside water- both good or bad?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi, we are on a small lake and have no problems with insects. The pools screens keep out any insects. We love our lake view and its always so peaceful.
    Jan&Steve

Many thanks- thats great to know.

Florida Chatterbox
    We also back onto a lake, and can honestly say we have never had any problems with insects.

We back onto a lake and as said before we have had no problems only a lovely view as you can see on our site a view to die our guests say.
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

We back onto the lake- never had any insects at all around the water- I would say it was because the estate is kept to high standards and it was clean and clear as against stagnant.... Also, the landscapers do spray regularly- as they do with the lawns.
    Really, you would think Florida being on swamp land would be full of insects, but spraying must help, as it isn't a problem.

Also, ours backs on to water, but I note your comment about the homes being a few feet from water. Our home looks very near on photos, but, as with any other home, you will find it is probably 20 feet away, on a slope.

Fors and againsts.

Fors - lots of them.. the privacy- no one backing onto your pool. The views - watching the sunrise with a coffee sat out on the deck remains my favourite time of the day. Seeing the wild life. There is always something to see- not just a fence, or the tv
    I have seen a bald eagle swooping down and catching fish in its talons, we have a resident otter who I have watched playing in the early morning, there is always something of interest- Egrets, Cormorants, turtles [and the odd gator, which is usually swiftly removed]Cranes etc

Againsts, you get the men leaving you to sunbathe whilst they wield fishing rods........oh hang on, is that another plus

Hope this helps!

we have stayed at Terra Verde on several occassions and the house backs onto a lake we've never had any problems with insects, now and then there are lizards but i dont think thats nessacerily because of lakes etc... we love being so close as we love to watch the wildlife...
    Liesa

Sometimes the pictures make the distance from the pool to the lake look less than it is. Some of mine do that, mainly because the garden slopes down a bit at that point, but there is at least 15 feet between the end of the deck and the lake. I love that it slopes because I can swim and get a brilliant view of the wildlife on the water.

Quite a few of my guests sit at the lake edge and fish, then BBQ what they catch. [msnsmile2]

Mossies can sometimes be a problem wherever there is natural water in Florida, if you decide to fish in the very early morning or at dusk/nearly sundown, both times being their breakfast and dinner. If you do that then the best way to prevent any bites is to cover up with lightweight long trousers as well as long sleeves, making sure that your top has a collar to protect your neck. A sun hat helps too.

The fish will take your bait at all times of the day, so you don't have to get up early to enjoy fishing.

During the rest of the day it's fine. We've never been bitten then.[msnsmile2]
    Carla

Gold 5 Star Member
    Our home was backed and fronted by two lakes and we never had a problem with insects.

The County has to spray for insects regularly when homes are near lakes and so there are probably less insects around lake homes than there are around non-lake homes which aren't sprayed by the County.

As a secondary protection, you'll have the pool net screen anyway and look at the privacy and wildlife interests you get!
    blott

Thanks for all your replies - as always really helpful. We really like the look of Terre Verde in particualr, we passed it a lot when we stayed at Cresent Lakes last year and it looked lovely.