Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Villa's beside Water

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Mossies can sometimes be a problem wherever there is natural water in Florida, if you decide to fish in the very early morning or at dusk/nearly sundown, both times being their breakfast and dinner. If you do that then the best way to prevent any bites is to cover up with lightweight long trousers as well as long sleeves, making sure that your top has a collar to protect your neck. A sun hat helps too.[/quote]Until the post above, I didn't think the above posters were talking about Florida.

I have NEVER been anywhere in central Florida where after dusk there isn't an 'insect problem' near water. Why are there pool screens otherwise?

It is not a serious problem, but as stated above precautions need to be taken.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    [Until the post above, I didn't think the above posters were talking about Florida.

I have NEVER been anywhere in central Florida where after dusk there isn't an 'insect problem' near water. Why are there pool screens otherwise?

It is not a serious problem, but as stated above precautions need to be taken.[/quote]I think we can safely say Robert that you haven't been to our home for starters and probably not many others on lake water or you'd know about the County regulations for spraying and not be bitten by anything that is lake related and flies, whether at night or during the day.

Pool screens keep out other critters also and act as the required safety fence around a pool. I know you don't have a private pool (nor presumably a home with a lake?) so there'd be no reason for you to know about either.

If people want to take biting precautions for other reasons than staying in a home on a lake, like staying in a home NOT on a lake, then that could be a wise move on their part.
    blott

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We always stay in a villa overlooking a lake, never had a problem with insects.
    Lyn

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Mossies can sometimes be a problem wherever there is natural water in Florida, if you decide to fish in the very early morning or at dusk/nearly sundown, both times being their breakfast and dinner. If you do that then the best way to prevent any bites is to cover up with lightweight long trousers as well as long sleeves, making sure that your top has a collar to protect your neck. A sun hat helps too.[/quote]Until the post above, I didn't think the above posters were talking about Florida.

It is not a serious problem, but as stated above precautions need to be taken.[/quote]Robert we all know there are insects there we that is my family and i havent had any problems when staying close to a lake... we watch the dragon flies and love bugs were everywhere last year the only problem we saw with them is they make the car very dirty quickly... they land on you then go again... when we are enjoying the pool we have the enclosures all around so they dont usually get through but some do... just dont have problems with them... we walk around the lakes and we fish at the lakes again we dont have any problems with insects...

one of my girls was bitten to pieces by mozzies but she got them away from the place we were staying... possibly when we they were out shopping as thats when she saw them all, and felt them...
    Liesa

I have stayed at properties near lakes and haven't found mozzies to be a real problem, however Florida is a subtropical state and despite the local authorities doing their bit by spraying these critters they don't kill them all. My wife is often bitten just walking from the car to the front door.

Dave

same with one of our, just one was bitten by mozzies badly... out of 15 of us!
    Liesa

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    My hubby gets bitten a lot, me hardly ever.
    Lyn

When we rent villas we prefer water views because they are so peaceful and relaxing. We have rented many homes and never had any problems with bugs. the screen Lanai s keep them out. It is so much more private, better then looking back into a neighboring pool.
    Randy Johnston

Our villa nestles right at the foot of Lake Thomas, a warm springs natural lake. During visits we regularly tidy up our 450 ft of lake frontage. I can honestly say we have experienced more bites at home in the UK than when working around our lake. Obviously sensible precautions are a good idea, but unless you are visiting a swamp area the risk of mosquito bites is no greater by the lake than anywhere else in my opinion.

The benefits of visiting a lakeside home are immense, especially if you are interested in the lake's resident wildlife. Each visit we come across something new and exciting, this year we learnt from our neighbours that an American Eagle had built its nest in the conservation area to the right of our home, luckily my son caught site of it just before we came back to the UK. My favourite place to be is sitting at our dining room table looking out over the lake and its constantly changing appearance, it is just so peaceful and relaxing and never a dull moment.

Staying at a lakeside villa means you can enjoy the best of both worlds, with our home you are close enough to easily experience all the fun of the theme parks, and when you have had enough you can relax at home and enjoy Florida's wildlife, flora, and fauna - pure bliss!
    Live well, laugh often, love much.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Bird noise is the only problem I've had..I can't stay in my friends pool area because of it..bugs are everywhere near or far from water..always use spray..can't say I've been bite within a screen..