Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potentially stupid question

Florida Junior

Potentially stupid question

Hi All, If I am travelling west on the 192 and then decide to change direction and travel east, is it acceptable to do a u-turn at one of the gaps in the central reservation that appear from time to time? By acceptable, I mean acceptable to the local law enforcement officers I suppose the question also applies to intersections, is it acceptable to completely change direction at these also. Cheers, Alan

No, Alan, its not a stupid question. There are lots of things to get used to when driving in a different country. [msnwink]

That is what these intersections/gaps are there for - though you need to be sure that it is one which is going the right way - remember, cars driving in the opposite direction have intersections/gaps which are not accessible to you.

The only time you cannot do this is if it specifically prohibits doing a u-turn - and that will be signposted.
    ellie

Florida Junior
    Cheers Ellie, thanks for that, I'm expecting to make a lot of use of these u-turning opportunities!!!!

Boy, on the 192, all I seem to do is u-turns! It seems I always want something on the other side of the road.
    Tony G

THe best prevention for this is a Sat Nav- after coming over since 1985, we thought we knew our way everywhere- but a couple of years back, we brought our Sat Nav over, as we were driving down from Texas.........what a revelation -we get everywhere so much quicker and with less u turns Recommend it highly!
    http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx?villa=113

If it isn't possible to do a u-turn, why not turn left into a car park and turn around. That way, you are crossing the carriageway instead of making a slow turn.
    Regards, Mark

Florida Junior
    Thanks for the replies, it will be ten years or so since last driving in Florida, no satnav then, will have one this time. I remember doing a few u-turns back then but was never 100 percent sure it was ok to do so having said that I seem to remember that driving wasn't that difficult and always got to where we wanted to go in the end.[msncool]

Super Moderator
    Can't remember a holiday where we have not done more than one 'U' turn whilst driving in Florida - if you are not sure a sat nav from this site is a great idea as when you collect your car all you have to do is turn it on and you will have it your home address whilst you are in Florida already keyed in to help you on your way http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you havent driven for a while you might want to refresh youur rmemory with the driving tips.
    1 of the biggest changes is the "move over" law which has not long been in force.
    If any uniformed officer is dealing with an incident on the highway, wherever it is possible and safe to do you must move over to leave a clear lane between yourself and the vehicles. If it isnt possible (on a 2 lane highway ) you must slow down (I cnat remember the exact speed). This is because so many enforcement officers have been killed by moving traffic.
    You probably know about right turns on red, and also wipers on, lights on?
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
    If it isn't possible to do a u-turn, why not turn left into a car park and turn around. That way, you are crossing the carriageway instead of making a slow turn.
    [/quote]

I find this is often the best option. Only takes a min and you are not cutting in front of oncoming traffic.

Another reason was judging the oncoming traffic's speed sometimes for some reason? And also other cars pulling out on the other side of the road. It was just easier to do as you say sometimes. Good tip.
    Garry Pullan