Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have the trainers gone back to the water at seawor

Florida Savvy

have the trainers gone back to the water at seawor

we are visiting orlando in a few weeks and my 7 year old grandon wouldlove to see the be[ol]lieve shows[msncool][beer]

i dont think their health and safety people will let them, i enjoyed seaworld much more when i saw the killer whales performing.... bet they miss it to.. the whales that is xx
    Liesa

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
    i dont think their health and safety people will let them, i enjoyed seaworld much more when i saw the killer whales performing.... bet they miss it to.. the whales that is xx
    [/quote]
    Bet the trainers do too

Super Moderator
    Last we heard they have not and are unlikely to do so in the near future. The trainers will miss the interaction and so will the whales.

We were at Sea World a week or so ago and the trainers were not back in the water then. The Believe show was still good, but not quite the same.
    Sarah

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    The last I heard was The Health & Safety people in the US are saying they should not go in the water with 'dangerous' animals again, but Sea World are trying to get this sorted.
    Lyn

Florida Savvy

Seaworld are replacing Believe in Spring 2011 with a new show.

Found this on line
    "Also in Spring of 2011 Sea World will roll out an all new show featuring the parks favorite black and white sea mammal, Shamu. The show will be replacing the critically acclaimed Believe."

Can't find any details yet though!

Just read this report on News 13.

SeaWorld is appealing a recent federal ruling that keeps trainers away from orcas during performances.
    The case stems from the death of trainer Dawn Brancheau, who was pulled underwater and drowned by the six-ton killer whale Tilikum in 2010.
    The theme park submitted a petition to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission asking the agency to review the ruling.
    OSHA officials had spent six months investigating Brancheau's death and ultimately charged SeaWorld with a "willful" safety violation. The agency recommended that trainers never be allowed to have close contact with orcas unless protected by a physical barrier.
    Among some of the issues stated in the petition for review filed July 3, SeaWorld said the judge failed to take into consideration the period of 18 years of interactions with Tilikum with no injuries to any trainers.
    SeaWorld also said the judge should not have relied on statements from other incident reports, some of which were 20 years old, and from other parks and did not involve Tilikum for which the citation was issued.
    “The judge’s opinion that each interaction with a killer whale presented a risk of injury or death is factually flawed on its face and contrary to the evidence. If this were the case, on would expect there to be many more injuries during the course of the interactions with the killer whales, but that is not what the record reveals,” SeaWorld stated in the petition.
    SeaWorld officials concluded by asking that if the review is granted, that they be allowed to submit a brief longer than the set 35 page limit because of the "extensive issues in this case."
    Lyn

The Daily Mail on-line (UK site) had an article on Tuesday of this week claiming that
    "Staff at SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio yesterday re-started 'water desensitisation training' with the company's killer whale collection". I assume that means the trainers are starting to go back in the pools.

It also says in the article: "SeaWorld has also invested tens of millions to design and install safety features to protect staff, including a fast-rising floor in the G pool of its Orlando Shamu Stadium complex where Ms Brancheau was killed." I wonder if that means the floor comes up and the whale becomes "beached" to facilitate rescue of a trapped trainer?

The article is followed by several comments, all of them criticising the keeping of whales in captivity.
    Dave.

The article I read said this was only for Vet work, not for shows.
    Lyn