Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Englewood/Rotonda

Florida Savvy

Englewood/Rotonda

I was thinking of renting a pool villa with internet service in the future. Can you tell me about the area and other than golf what is there to do. I know it is close to the beaches. I really want sun, warmth and a pool.

Eileen, If you look at the Gulf Coast section of this site http://www.orlandovillas.com/gulf-co...mmunities.aspx you will find several properties in Rotonda all with private pool and internet service.

The majority of the time it is very sunny and warm (to-day was a very pleasant 76F/24C) but even the Gulf Coast can have cooler spells in January and early February. Fortunately they tend not to last very long.

The local beaches and bays are beautiful. Perfect for a lazy day sun bathing or a stroll looking for shells or sharks teeth but one of my favourite pastimes is strolling along the beach at sunset often watching dolphins. Many of the beaches also have picnic tables and some have barbecues. As well as fishing there are boats for hire or dolphin or sunset cruises. People often see the local wildlife close to the villas but there are also plenty of Nature Reserves to explore.

There are plenty of restaurants within a few minutes drive of Rotonda, mainly the family run variety and sometimes with live entertainment. If you want the large chains there are plenty 20 minutes away at Port Charlotte. Port Charlotte also has one of the biggest Malls in Florida and further afield there are factory outlets at Ellenton and Fort Myers.

There are plenty of opportunities for sport - golf, tennis, canoing,
    scuba diving, snorkelling. At Port Charlotte there is also a Baseball stadium (visit on 'Thirsty' Thursday when beers are cheap for the first part of the game). Nearby is the County Ground for bull-riding events. The town of Arcadia also has professional bull-riding and rodeo events.

Places to visit are Gasparilla Island and Boca Grande with beaches, 'old Florida style' shops and nice restaurants. In April/May you can see Osprey on their nests as you drive onto the island.

Englewood itself is very quiet but boasts a local theatre and restaurants. If you are interested in classic cars there is a rally on the first Saturday of each month.

Myakka River State Park is one of the oldest and largest in Florida with board walks and plenty of Alligator spotting.

I am sure other owners will come up with plenty of other things to do.

Maureen
    Maureen Green

Gold 5 Star Member
    Eileen as Mo has suggested do check out the section on the Gulf Coast and also the articles on this area as there are quite a few.

Rotonda/Englewood is on the Cape Haze peninsular midway pretty much between Sarasota to the north and Fort Myers to the south.

It is quite a unique area as there are no high rise on Lemon Bay so it is an opportunity to see Florida of old.

This stretch of coastline is skirted by the barrier islands all waiting to be explored. Beaches are second to none, especially if you like a true beach, sea oats, birds and gentle lapping waters often teeming with small fish in the shallows. From Manasota Key to the north and south beach on Gasparilla Island to the south they are often deserted or sparsely populated, a joy to be on.

Rotonda West is 30 square miles (approximately) of natural habitat with bike trails, walking, tennis courts, fishing (catch and release). It is peaceful and is a true mix of full time residents and vacation homes.
    Nearby is kayaking, gently cruise through the shallow crystal clear backwaters; water sports, deep sea fishing and boating. Even for the novice the boats are so easy and it is a great way to explore the coastline, boats can be rented for a full day or half a day. They are easy to beach and discover the deserted islands. To the south is Punta Gorda from where you can avail of the harbour cruises, the sunset cruise is wonderful. Venice to the north has an eclectic array of shops and eateries spend a couple of hours browsing and then watch the world go by in one of the restaurants.

Locally restaurants are plentiful and to suit all pockets, excellent fish, seafood all for the eating.

If visiting in Feb/Mar, the Tampa Rays hold their spring training at the re-vamped sports stadium just 10 minutes from Rotonda West. Playing the Phillies, Boston Red Sox and Yankees to name a few an opportunity to see some great teams.

There is as little or as much as you want to do, simply relax and enjoy the peace or be more active, the choice is yours.

Lynne

To add to Maureen & Lynne's comprehensive information above I just want to point out that Winter/Spring times are busy season on the Gulf Coast.

If you are looking for this Feb/Mar/Apr you might struggle as most villas are booked well in advance. So if its next Jan-Apr you might want to make inquiries now.

Rotonda West is a wonderful place to visit. It can be as quiet or as busy as you want to make it. The choice is yours!

Bernadette

Florida Savvy
    Thank you all for all the info. I was thinking about renting during the xmas holidays. I will start doing my search now. Thanks, again!

Florida Expert
    We have stayed on Rotunda twice and loved it!