Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav versus directions

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all your replies, I knew I could depend on you [msnsmile]
    So looking forward to our trip, daughter gets married on the 22nd at the Disney Swan at 11.00am [msnsmile2]
    Margaret

I think a sat nav is great for a first time visit. I found our sat nav wouldn't send us on the 417 toll road though, which is in my opinion a much better route to homes towards H27
    Shirley

I agree Shirley, we were at the airport yesterday and tried to get the Sat Nav to select the 417 route home, but it just wouldn't display it no matter which option I selected. That route is only 2 miles longer than the route the Sat Nav gives but, as it is neither the shortest or quickest route, it doesn't come up as an option at all. We use that route every time and find it much easier. I'd be lost without a Sat Nav for everywhere else though!
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Margaret
    Thanks for all your replies, I knew I could depend on you [msnsmile]
    So looking forward to our trip, daughter gets married on the 22nd at the Disney Swan at 11.00am [msnsmile2]
    Margaret
    [/quote]

Have a wonderful holiday Margaret and I hope your daughters wedding is everything she has dreamed of.
    We have just had guests at our home who got married at The Grand Cypress Hotel, they loved their Floridian wedding.

Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

Use 'travel via' and select the 417 exit you need.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by autumnc
    I agree Shirley, we were at the airport yesterday and tried to get the Sat Nav to select the 417 route home, but it just wouldn't display it no matter which option I selected. That route is only 2 miles longer than the route the Sat Nav gives but, as it is neither the shortest or quickest route, it doesn't come up as an option at all. We use that route every time and find it much easier. I'd be lost without a Sat Nav for everywhere else though!
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Both my cars at home have factory fitted sat-nav and, when I need it, it's very handy but that's maybe no more than 10 times a year.

If the OP has already paid for it (as seems to be the case) it's largely academic but I've never seen a need to have it for every day of my trips whichever part of the world I'm in. If I do take it, I have it for a couple of days until I get my bearings and then take it back.

After all, it isn't that long ago that it didn't even exist.[msnsmile]

Lee say's he does not need sat nav as he has me [msnwink]
    Jan and Lee

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    After all, it isn't that long ago that it didn't even exist.[msnsmile][/quote]Neither did all sorts of things but I bet you and your family have got mobile phones for instance instead of having to search around for phone boxes.

Who wants to spend sunshine time poring over clunky old maps that are impossible to refold anyway?

Just because something only just existed isn't a valid reason for not having one, even if it's only for fun! [msnwink] It also beats spending your precious holiday time having arguments with your husband/wife about who got you lost in the first place!
    blott

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Oh how I remember the silly arguments my parents got into when we were in Florida when I was young. My Step Mum had no idea of her right or left and kept telling my Dad to go the wrong way. He was not best pleased and it made for a somewhat stressful situation to say the least [msneek].
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    It also beats spending your precious holiday time having arguments with your husband/wife about who got you lost in the first place!
    [/quote]

Of course if you know where you are going then you do not need sat nav or maps or directions. I presumed the original poster was a first time visitor. Just because you know you way around an area does not mean everyone else does! I use them on an almost daily basis but then I am usually in a foreign City I have not visited before and trust me I would be wasting far to much time without one.
    So to some up the original posters questions.
    Yes you can set the satnav for the same route, just use the 'travel via' function. Or simply follow the directions and if you have any problems (very doubtful) switch the unit on and use it.
    Satnavs in Florida are most handy for getting home, as sometimes you exit through a different place you enter a park.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    Both my cars at home have factory fitted sat-nav and, when I need it, it's very handy but that's maybe no more than 10 times a year.

If the OP has already paid for it (as seems to be the case) it's largely academic but I've never seen a need to have it for every day of my trips whichever part of the world I'm in. If I do take it, I have it for a couple of days until I get my bearings and then take it back.

After all, it isn't that long ago that it didn't even exist.[msnsmile]
    [/quote]