Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandra's trip report 1

Sandra's trip report 1

I am lucky enough to be an owner here in Florida and have been here since September. My husband Alan joined me at the end of October, and we celebrated our 30th Wedding Anniversary with some friends and seem to have been busy from then on in.

This is the first trip report, as I thought it may be boring for you all reading about what I have been doing for 7 weeks, so I will try to bring you up to date as I go along.

Monday 22nd November 2010.

We set off from Windwood Bay around 0800 this morning to make our journey to Webster Market which is held every Monday morning. The actual number of miles is only forty five, but our Sat Nav told us it would take at least ninety minutes to get there. We had been recommended to go early and have breakfast at the Speckled Butterbean which is to be found on the outskirts of the market. So, with only a coffee in our bellies, we set off along SR27 North. We passed what is left of the Orange Groves and noticed several new shopping centres and restaurants springing up everywhere. We filled up with gas at Walmart at Cagans Crossing’s which at the time of writing was $2.77 and which we thought was reasonable and comparably cheap from what we noticed on the way. Imagine our dismay when we got to a newer Walmart and the gas was $2.69!!

Negotiating the roadworks which seem to be almost finished, so no hold ups, we turned left onto SR50. This is a pretty straight road and we passed through the City of Clermont - a few shops and professional buildings - and travelled around 20 miles before we turned right towards the advertised Farmer’s Market. It was quite pleasant to be driving with green fields all around, cattle grazing and plenty of hay bales that the farmers had harvested.

We reached the market but missed the free car park so found ourselves entering another car park which was $3 so not too costly. The place was heaving and it was only 0930 in the morning. We wanted to get our highly recommended breakfast, so asked for directions to the Speckled Butterbean. I doubt if we would have ever found it ourselves. It is a very County Style Restaurant with a buffet breakfast. Certainly not the best we have tasted but for $4.95 was reasonable value, and unlimited coffee at $1.25 was certainly more than welcome.

The market had rows and rows of indoor and outdoor stalls, selling fresh produce which was so much cheaper than the supermarkets, plants & tree’s, orchids galore, guns, knives, underwear, sunglasses, shoes, freshly baked bread, puppies by the cage full, birds and more birds, snakes, turtles, you name it, they had it.

There were lots of places to get something to eat and drink, and believe me, after walking round looking at what was mostly tacky things, we needed to have another drink before we wound our way back to Championsgate.

As we are not staying in our own villa due to having guests renting it until tomorrow, we needed to go and collect our mail and check up on the Christmas decorations which are in the process of being put up at the entrance. For my sins I am President of the Homeowners Association, so needed to see the guy's erecting them to make sure everything is going okay. Then it was off to check the lamp posts. Yes, the lamp posts. Each post has a number on them and you can go on line and report when the bulbs are not working...really interesting stuff. We then drove round the community and our MC's were outside their house, so they invited us in and we had a lovely lunch with them. A quick check on our villa and we found that the plants that we had asked our landscaper to put round our newly extended cage, had not been planted as promised. A phone call later and now scheduled for tomorrow.[msnoo]

Spent the evening packing up our bits and pieces and doing the washing etc., before we return to our own villa tomorrow. Looking forward to that....to be continued....please tell me when you get bored and I will stop[chatter][chatter]

Sandra

Florida Chatterbox
    Sandra thanks for letting us know about Webster Market and the Speckled Butterbean. We were thinking of going, but now I am wondering if a 90 mile round trip is worth it. Just wish I was in Florida at the moment though.

Linda

All new info, all interesting, please carry on. Must be exciting being a new owner.
    Jan

Great start Sandra really interesting reading.

Jan Sandra isn't a new owner she just means that she has been
    in Florida this time since September lucky devil !!!

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    Thank you for the trip report Sandra - keep them coming [msnsmile] The market sounds interesting - might mention it to Alan for a trip next Monday!
    Frances

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by canarypam
    Great start Sandra really interesting reading.

Jan Sandra isn't a new owner she just means that she has been
    in Florida this time since September lucky devil !!!
    [/quote]
    Ahh !!! now I am just plain jealous....lol
    Jan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not boring at all Sandra..as I go into deep depression around this time of year, when it is dark and cold here in the UK, I enjoy listening to tales of new places to visit and things going on in the sunshine state [msncool] Only a little bit jealous..honest[msnwink]. keep em coming!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linda r
    Sandra thanks for letting us know about Webster Market and the Speckled Butterbean. We were thinking of going, but now I am wondering if a 90 mile round trip is worth it. Just wish I was in Florida at the moment though.

Linda
    [/quote]

I think it depends on what you want really. We love Webster and go every few weeks, but we go along with friends and mainly use it as a drive out and a stroll around for a couple of hours in the sunshine. We are like Sandra and are here for a long time, so it makes a change for us.

The market has two distinctive sides - one side is new, the other side is used. The 'new' side has long rows of wooden huts containing market stalls selling all sorts from 'As seen on tv must haves' to fresh produce and puppies.

Across the road on the other side (Westside, the Bestside as it is billed) is row after row of private dealers selling antiques and collectibles (or old tat!) out of their cars and RVs. More like a huge garage sale. Many of the dealers are from the northern states and come down for weeks or months at a time to sell their wares. We spend most of the morning on this side as we find it much more interesting than the side selling the 'new' stuff.

We've picked up a few bits of Disney memorabilia along the way for the villa, but we mainly just enjoy the stroll around and the atmosphere listening to the banter between buyer and seller. It's a pleasant morning and a nice drive out if you want a day away from the parks.

I am enjoying your trip report Sandra and looking for ideas of places to go, so please keep them coming!
    Sarah

Florida Expert
    Keep em comin

Florida Chatterbox
    Enjoying your trip report, I never tire of reading what everyone does
    Margaret