Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have the right Car size

Do we have the right Car size

Hi Guys
    I am looking for some advice on car size for our trip to Sanibel next may.I have booked a 7 seater suv 4x4 through uscar hire using alamo
    people traveling are 4 adults and 2 children one aged 2 years and one who is 4 years with child seats and carrying approx 5 suitcases.Will this size be ok ,just need to be sure so every thing runs smooth when we arrive John

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Gibbo27
    Hi Guys
    I am looking for some advice on car size for our trip to Sanibel next may.I have booked a 7 seater suv 4x4 through uscar hire using alamo
    people traveling are 4 adults and 2 children one aged 2 years and one who is 4 years with child seats and carrying approx 5 suitcases.Will this size be ok ,just need to be sure so every thing runs smooth when we arrive Kind Regards John
    [/quote]

John,

The car will be a Chevrolet Tahoe or similar which is plenty big enough for the 6 of you but I think 5 suitcases will be a problem. With the rear row of seats down there is little luggage space left and certainly not enough room for 5 suitcases. You may need a car seat or booster seat for the 2 year old also

I think you need to consider a 8 seat people carrier or see if you can get the bigger SUV which will be a Chevrolet Surburban or similar but I think you will have to get that from Alamo when you arrive as I dont think US Car Hire do the Surburban direct - I'm sure Roger can help you.

Ian

I also think you wil be better with a people carrier. Even a 7 seater tends to have more luggage space than an SUV 7 seater
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    I would say try and get youself a dodge caravan which we have always done through alama and Just like you we are 2 adult 2 teenage kids and 2 babies under 5 and we have no issues getting our cases in. hoping to get the same in 4 weeks time.

OK, unless you get exactly the right SUV you will struggle. It will work with a Tahoe or an Expedition, but not with a Durango or a Jeep Commander or most of the other 7 seat full size SUV's - there's just not enough boot space. Basically the category includes a couple of SUV's that will work and lots that won't, but because you can't specify, it's the luck of the draw.

Our experience (twice a year for several years) is that if you're lucky, you will get the right one, however be prepared to go out to the lot, find it won't fit and go back to have a lengthy argument about it. If they don't have an Expedition or a Tahoe, you will have to pay extra for an upgrade, probably to a Buick Enclave or a Suburban or similar. You can't book that type of SUV ahead of time (at least through this site - I wish you could). A Grand Caravan or similar will work for you

It's a real pain, but that's the way it is.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    If there are 2 drivers it may be an idea to get two small cars.

It will give you a lot more flexibility. For instance some can go shopping, and the others somewhere worthwhile[msnwink]

The only pont is that parking is difficult on Sanibel.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    I think, Dodge/Chrysler, 7 seat MPV is the way to go.

We always get one of these. Already booked next one, (from here) for next trip. Although we don't require all the space we used to. Not a drivers car but plenty comfy & easy to drive.

With us there's 2 Adults, 2 Children, 2 Single Buggies(or has been), 4 Large Suitcases, 4 Medium Suitcases, 4 Flight Bags[msnembarrased] (for the return to airport journey)

No problem with driving or parking while there. But the great thing while on journeys to parks,shopping etc was the buggies can be put straight in the back without collapsing[clap][clap] Which was so simple you have no need to start emptying all the contents (rubbish), you accumulate during the day[msnwink]
    mike

We are out in Florida at the moment and have a Tahoe. Even though there are only two of us we always tend to book the 7 seat SUV from Alamo and generally get a Tahoe as we like it so much. We come out a few times a year and we have been lucky enough to have been upgraded to Suburbans at no extra cost on our last couple of trips. These are essentially longer versions of the Tahoe. Each time the upgrade has been given to us in the parking lot without asking but you certainly can't rely on getting this. When we picked this one up at MCO 3 weeks ago we were offered an upgrade to a Suburban for $19 per day but declined. My advice would be to book the car that's right for your party and anything extra you get on arrival is a bonus.

I took a picture of the rear space in the Tahoe this morning when I saw your post.

The picture shows the 3rd row of seats folded down leaving seating for 5 inside. Although it's a very large SUV, I'm not sure you are going to get 5 suitcases in the available space with the number of passengers you have.

If you really want an SUV with extra space I think the Suburban or Ford Expedition are the only ones that fit the bill. We've had both and they certainly offer more room. In the past we've also had Navigators and Escalades but have found they are much the same size as the Tahoe with a bit more luxury.

Hope this helps.
    Jim

Gold 5 Star Member
    Surely, just for the airport run with the cases, you could use the floor space provided by the short legs of your 2 and 4 year olds? That gets rid of two casees, leaving the space in the boot/trunk for the three remaining cases.

We have a 7 seater at home and have done this on many occasions when going to and from the airport.
    blott

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    Surely, just for the airport run with the cases, you could use the floor space provided by the short legs of your 2 and 4 year olds? That gets rid of two casees, leaving the space in the boot/trunk for the three remaining cases.[/quote]That's exactly what I was about to say!
    Dave.