Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touchdown on Runway to Driving out of Airport.

We had a delayed flight out on the 5th arriving around 7pm and there were few immigration officers on duty. Took about 1+1/4 hours. 5 mins outside with Alamo. Left yesterday, wasted $20 at Downtown Disney as Orlando Airport check-in was empty when we went past. Security only took 10 minutes also. Wasted a couple of hours when we could have been in the sun !!
    Regards, Mark

I must admit I never have any problems at MCO, but then I do travel in a way that virtually eliminates all delays. I never travel direct to Orlando, so no immigration delays. I never take checked baggage, so no waiting at the carousels. And I always use Hertz Gold, so car always waiting and just get in and drive off.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    We arrived last Wednesday. Flight was almost 10 hours (very strong headwinds), so we were a bit grouchy! Were straight off the plane into Immigration. No lines, but they have changed the 'system' slightly. Instead of lining up behind the desks you now have to snake around for what seems like ages and all come out at one point where you are directed to go stand in front of a particular desk (I cannot say it is an improvement on the old system, but there you go!). We only had to wait a few moments before it was our turn. Were handled at the desk in a friendly and efficient manner and then went to collect our bags. They were on the belt within 5 minutes. We went through Customs - were asked a couple of questions, but that's all - no need for x-ray. We had the option to put our bags back on the belt or take them up the escalator ourselves (which is what we did). The escalator came out right at the monorail, which was standing waiting for us. We got over to the other side, went straight to Alamo and were called straight to the desk. Completed the paperwork without any hard-sell and went over to the garage to choose our car. Had to wait a few minutes to clear the Alamo check on exit, but then we were on our way. All of that took less than 1 hour from the time we landed, which has been the norm for my last few visits.

CLAIRE
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-572.aspx

Our worst was 2 hours at ORL INT. We have done it quicker, but they tend to be under pressure more as there are more flights coming in here than SANFORD. I think security in the US is tighter than anywhere else in the World and as such you have to expect delays, but I do agree that sometimes they do go over the top.

Personally I prefer SANFORD even though it is an extra 30 mins drive to the villa. We always save this in immigration and bag collection.
    Dominic & Melanie Graham

Florida Expert
    We're flying into Miami for the first time next year. How does that compare with MCO please?

Florida Savvy
    Last week after a 26 hours, 15 minute delay we took exactly 3 hours and 5 minutes from landing at MCO to leaving the airport! An all time record for us by a mile. By the time we arrived at the villa it was 48 hours and 30 mins since we locked our front door in the UK - another record.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    We're flying into Miami for the first time next year. How does that compare with MCO please?
    [/quote]

I don't think any airport is consistently good or consistently bad but for me Miami is about as bad as it gets. It regularly tops the 'worst' tables for immigration and customs delays and I've had long delays all too frequently.

It's a major hub for arriving flights from South America and Europe along with many more flights from the UK (around the same time) than MCO receives. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody at MIA has yet realised that fact.

You might be lucky (I was straight through a couple of months ago due to a weather storm preventing aircraft landing) and I hope you are but be prepared for a wait. The baggage collection area is quite an experience.

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    [/quote]

We have used Miami several times and luckily have never been held up and always got out quite quickly, which is more than we can say for Orlando. Earlier this year we were held in a side room for over an hour before even getting to the immigration hall and we have taken well over 2 hours to get throught Orlando and that is before we have got the car. This is part of the reason we prefer Tampa and Miami always been through and out in under an hour.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Airports are run by people and at the end of the day all airports can be bad.

Just needs 4 or 5 late flights to land together and everything will take twice as long.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The problem at Heathrow is too many Jobsworths who wouldn't recognise a security threat if it smacked them between the eyes.[/quote]

This is such unfair comment, LHR has always been a front runner in security or do you not remember the 70's when security started to become an issue. Security is at it's best when not always seen as is often the case with LHR, always has been.
    Bit like customs !!!!

Lynne

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We know that we will never achieve a quick exit as there is a warrant out for someone with the same name and d.o.b as my husband. So we get taken to secondary immigration everytime we arrive. Asked if there is anything we can do about this i.e. get a Visa but have been told it will not help. Until the real criminal is arrested we will be stopped everytime. Luckily my husband is about 8 inches shorter than the man they actually want.
    Christine