Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touchdown on Runway to Driving out of Airport.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
    We know that we will never achieve a quick exit as there is a warrant out for someone with the same name and d.o.b as my husband. So we get taken to secondary immigration everytime we arrive. Asked if there is anything we can do about this i.e. get a Visa but have been told it will not help. Until the real criminal is arrested we will be stopped everytime. Luckily my husband is about 8 inches shorter than the man they actually want.
    [/quote]

This must be quite frustrating! [msneek]

Thank goodness for the height difference! [msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Never had to wait more than an hour in immigration at Orlando and no more than an hour at the car hire desk. We have landed and left the car park within the hour on quite a few occasions. I know it can be frustrating but i thinks it more likely to be a one off.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx

Florida Expert
    We have been lucky at MIA, even though it was August and very busy. 3 times it has taken us 30 minutes from landing to driving out of the airport. Not bad with 5 people and ten cases!
    Tampa was the worst, two and a half hours from landing.
    KJH

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lengthy delays at MIA & MCO add weight to the case for making a connection en-route to Florida and clearing Immigration & Customs at the connecting city. I reckon that the time difference between direct and connecting flights from home to accommodation isn't all that much when you consider you are straight through the Florida airport. You also have much more choice and can usually save some money as well.

The best Florida airport has to be Fort Myers which never takes me more than 20 minutes from my seat on the plane to leaving the car rental garage. It's sometimes takes me longer than that just to get from the aircraft to the Immigration queue at Miami. [msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJH
    3 times it has taken us 30 minutes from landing to driving out of the airport. Not bad with 5 people and ten cases!

[/quote]

Is that arriving in Miami from the UK or on a connecting flight? I fly into Miami pretty often and have never got anywhere near that.

Given that you have to disembark from the plane, walk through to baggage claim, collect bags, catch the rental shuttle and do the paperwork at the Rental Centre, 30 minutes is amazing.

Miami has certainly got easier with the new shuttle to the car hire facility. My husband and daughter walked straight off the 'plane from Charlotte (internal flight, so no immigration, of course) picked up their suitcases, and the shuttle was ready and waiting. Very quick and easy.

We stood by the entrance to the gates and could see them coming quite soon after they landed. We were then able to walk downstairs with them to pick their luggage up from the carousel, which came very quickly. So it was about 20 mins from stepping off the 'plane to getting in the queue at the Alamo desk, but of course this was not an international flight.

However, even though the queue at the Alamo desk was quite short we were not lucky enough to do the whole thing in 30 mins - that is a real record if you went through Immigration, too!
    ellie

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Given that you have to disembark from the plane, walk through to baggage claim, collect bags, catch the rental shuttle and do the paperwork at the Rental Centre, 30 minutes is amazing.
    [/quote]

Do you have to get a rental shuttle whoever you rent with? Thank goodness for you guys, for this to happen and not know would be dreadful. Even if MIA not brill for getting out at least if you're prepared you have not got the shock as well [msneek]

There is a new car hire facility which has been built close to Miami Airport. There are continuous shuttles to and from the airport and we found it very efficient and quick. They help you on and off with suitcases, and the journey is less than 5 minutes, although this will depend which end of the airport you arrive at. My husband and daughter flew with US Airways so were nearer the car hire facility.

The car hire facility is very well organised with all the car hire companies within it. It is open and spacious and well signposted, and a pleasure to use.

There will soon be a little train to take you to and from the airport and this will make it even better.

I certainly would not worry about this sammibabe. We found it really easy to cope with. [msnwink]
    ellie

Florida Expert
    Thanks Ellie. Flying into MIA was not our first choice but cheapest choice. Saved about £600 doing this way even compared to indirect flights [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    Thanks Ellie. Flying into MIA was not our first choice but cheapest choice. Saved about £600 doing this way even compared to indirect flights [msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

Sounds like you made the right decision, sammibabe. Even if you experience a small delay going through immigration it is well worth it for the saving of £600! [msnwink]

Are you driving straight up to Orlando?

We noticed that the HOV lane is now payable once it gets near to Miami, which is a bit of a shame (High Occupancy Vehicles of 2 or more passengers). We used to love whizzing past all the traffic jams, but now you can only use the HOV lane if you pre-pay - you can't pay the toll at the time. Mind you, I can't blame Miami for doing this as it will save regular commuters much time for a small outlay,and add revenue. Incidentally, the tolls vary according to the time of day - peak time it can be $1.25, whilst off peak is just 25c. Guess you could use it if you had a transponder.
    ellie