Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touchdown on Runway to Driving out of Airport.

Florida Chatterbox

Touchdown on Runway to Driving out of Airport.

What is a reasonable expectation for this?

We landed at Orlando International at exactly 5pm, but did not get out of the airport until 7.10pm. Frankly I don't think this is acceptable. Fairly quick through Immigration and Customs too. It was the damned security (what is that about?) and having to wait twice for our suitcases that did it. Shambolic doesn't quite cover it.

I should also say we cheated a little. Some went to collect the luggage while the drivers went straight to the car rental desk. Had we not done so, we could have been waiting for an hour more.

I have read on here how, on certain occasions, people have been processed through the airport incredibly quickly but, in general, what are people's experiences?

Usually around an hour although we were 3 hours at heathrow last week. Does not bother me, I like tight security. Lots of folks moaning and whining which frankly got on my nerves and cut a few short. I pointed out that some folks have very short memories.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father

We landed at Orlando International at exactly 5pm, but did not get out of the airport until 7.10pm. Frankly I don't think this is acceptable. Fairly quick through Immigration and Customs too. It was the damned security (what is that about?) and having to wait twice for our suitcases that did it. Shambolic doesn't quite cover it.

I should also say we cheated a little. Some went to collect the luggage while the drivers went straight to the car rental desk. Had we not done so, we could have been waiting for an hour more.

I have read on here how, on certain occasions, people have been processed through the airport incredibly quickly but, in general, what are people's experiences?
    [/quote]

Florida Expert
    35 minutes at Tampa, that of course was due to going indirect via Newark and Immigration and Customs dealt with there. If both of us travelling, one waits for luggage and other collects the car.
    Clare R

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Usually around an hour although we were 3 hours at heathrow last week. Does not bother me, I like tight security. Lots of folks moaning and whining which frankly got on my nerves and cut a few short. I pointed put that some folks have very short memories.

[/quote]

I don't really know what you mean. Did it take you three hours to clear Heathrow after arriving in the UK? Seems excessive. For me, an hour would be acceptable.

And like you, I appreciate security. However it is not reassuring when it seems shambolic and amateurish. Has the opposite effect.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Usually around an hour although we were 3 hours at heathrow last week. Does not bother me, I like tight security. Lots of folks moaning and whining which frankly got on my nerves and cut a few short. I pointed put that some folks have very short memories.

[/quote]

Your view is only valid if the 3 hour wait could be put down to security needs, which seems highly unlikely. There is simply no way it should take that long particularly at a place when which sees itself as the world's premier international airport.

The problem at Heathrow is too many Jobsworths who wouldn't recognise a security threat if it smacked them between the eyes. Sadly, that doesn't stop them thinking the paying public can't travel until they say so.

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father

[/quote]

Has Orlando gone back to that annoying habit of making you put your cases back on the belt and not being able to take them straight through? Last time I went through before they stopped the double collection I was nearly an hour at the second collection belt - if this is the case then will avoid it if I have to bring through hold luggage.

Last time we went we got through immigration and customs within an hour but then spent nearly 2 hours sitting on our suitcases in the car park waiting for a car !!!
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have not had to give up our suitcases a second time for a while and that saves a lot of time. We make sure we can manage them on the transit so you just take them with you.
    Babblin Boo

We came through MCO at the end of October and as usual, had the option to take our suitcases with us on the transit and avoid having to collect them from the belt in the main terminal. We had very large suitcases as we brought extra clothes for our cruise in a couple of weeks time and no problem at all.
    Jim

We arrived at Orlando International airport 7th November at 2.45pm.Immigration was a dream the shortest time ever, going through security no problem picked up our luggage at the carrousel on the same level as the car hire all done and dusted in 45 minutes . A record for us, makes a difference when you are not hanging around waiting for luggage and to pick up your car.[msnsmile2]
    Barbara