Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Newbie: Optimum Villa location

Florida Newbie

Newbie: Optimum Villa location

Hi Everyone:

First time poster here. My 4yr old has discovered that there is such a thing as a "Disney World". We have decided to go. So far my in-laws have shown interest.
    Soo we have ..
    - 1 child who'll conk out after lunch, assuming a hectic morning at the park
    - 2 grandparents who can only walk so far

Questions:
    1. Although we will probably rent a vehicle, is it possible to take a bus to Disney? Just walking from the disney parking lot to the park would probably tire out half my group!
    2. My first thought was to find a villa close to disney world, but on an unrelated post, most people had this as a low priority when choosing a villa. Just wondering what factors I haven't taken into account?
    3. When should we go? We would like to do the water parks (so warm enough to want to go in the water). Can't be too hot as my in-laws are from Newfoundland and they don't do HOT. Ideally would like to go while it is still cold here in Canada, but at the least busy time. I was thinking Late April or May?

Hope it's not too early to be posting as we haven't made any concrete plans. There is just so much information it seems overwhelming. Hoping to hear from people who have done the trip before.

Thanks
    Mit

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Judging from your childs age you are not restricted to school holidays. I would be tempted to May or September / October depending on what temperature your inlaws can stand. It is great weather for the water parks and aviods peak season.
    Renting a vehicle is a must as nowhere is designed for walking. Disney transpert is provided from disney hotels but this restricts you to disney for your whole holiday and would work out very expensive.
    Are the grandparents diabled badge holders as this would entitle you to closer parking at the Disney parks, also it could be worth hiring wheelchairs for the duration of your holiday if this would make things easier.
    Most villas are within a 20 minute drive of Disney and this will give you plenty of room for the whole family and somewhere peaceful to retire to when your child 'conks' out. You can always return to the parks later in the evening.
    I would think about what you want form a villa - no of bedrooms, pool, spa, games room, internet, ensuite bathrooms and then put out an enquiry for ones that have your wish list.
    Its never too early to start looking some people book over 2 years inadvance
    Christine

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    One thing that we found useful with our 2 aged 5 and 4 at the time was to only do half days so you are getting to the parks early afternoon and then we bought a couple of strollers from Walmart and it meant that when they got tired/fed up they could go in the chair and fall asleep-it also gives your outlaws somewhere to lean.
    I should point out that neither of the girls would dream of going in a stroller at home but in the parks its the norm.

The best time to go is MARCH /MAY as it gets warmer later on and from March on you will get lighter nights and not too hot for your inlaws,We find that even older people do not mind walking that little bit further as there is so much to do and see .
    There are villas 10 mins drive to disney and if you are on the 192 plenty of resturants and supermarkets .
    Hope you enjoy your vacation and all partys enjoy the experence as we all do .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the replies!
    I think you've answered all my questions. In less than a day to boot!
    Since I'll have to take a car to disney, then an extra 5-15min drive is not an issue.
    Thanks for the stroller tip! My daughter would NOT be caught dead in a stroller at her age, but if everyone else is doing it, I can see where it would come in handy when we're too tired to pick her up!
    Seems like May is the time to go.
    This site is AWESOME.
    Thanks again.
    Mit

Gold 5 Star Member
    Welcome Mit, when our son was about 2 when we first took him, we hired a stroller in disney. Driving times to disney are about 15 minutes from most villas. A villa is ideal as you can spend either morning or the afternoon relaxing by the pool. our favourite time to go is late September[msnsmile]
    Jan&Steve

Super Moderator
    'Disney transpert is provided from disney hotels but this restricts you to disney for your whole holiday and would work out very expensive.'

We stayed in a Disney hotel the first time we went and although there is Disney transport which stops 'outside' the gates it still means getting on a bus. If you are at a park at closing time then the buses do get very very busy even though they lay on extra buses so for a little one and limited mobility adults it might still not be so easy.

Okay - firstly May or October time would be best for you. We have been going with my son since he was 6 months old, and he is now 17, so I can give you a few pointers We also took both sets of parents with us a few times when they were in their 70's - I was surprised how they had the energy to go round the parks the way they did- but we did ensure there were plenty of stops, and we took it very slow. Now in Disney it is so easy to rent a motorised , I only wish my Mum was still with me to take her
    My son was no problem, I provide the umbrella style strollers at my villa that I used in the park as they are so useful. For me personally, when we bought a villa I needed it close to Disney, and wanted to be there in a few minutes- this was because he got restless on long car journeys, which is something to take into account depending how your child is.
    We did try a stay in Disney before buying- but the buses are a bind- you can't go where you want when you want and more than anything, I couldn't stand the evenings after my son was asleep- sat whispering, watching the TV, straining my ears to hear it. And the hassle of going down to the Laundry room, not having a drink whenever I wanted to etc........
    So Don't worry about anything- we have it all sorted on here!!

Florida Expert
    May is a great time to go weather wise but I would avoid the last week of May as that is a one week half term break for English schools. We used to go then as it does take in school holiday and I know a lot of people that do also.
    Definately a stroller, either provided by your villa or buy one from Walmart. We found that much more economical than renting.

There is transport at Disney from parking lots to the gate so you shouldn't have to walk too far (with the exception of MK which also incoporated either the monorail or boat to get to the gates)
    Have fun planning as well as the actual holiday[msnsmile2]