Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone numbers!*!?*!

Florida Chatterbox

phone numbers!*!?*!

please help, i have booked a few things for our next trip and i have to phone ahead to confirm and the numbers they give me are half numbers half letters [msnscared] ! how do you dial a letter!!! never had the need to use a phone in orlando before, hope someone can help, thick or what [msnembarrased]

Donny if you look at the buttons on your phone you will see letters as well as numbers so you just push the number button that corresponds with the letter. Hope that makes sense [msnsmile]
    Angie & Davy

on your key pad every number (except 1 and 0) has 3 letters on it, you just dial the number for your letter. eg Disney would be 347639 D=3, I=4 S=7 N=6 E=3 Y=9

Hope this helps

Judy

Gold 5 Star Member
    The settings are universal I think so if you have a look at your mobile phone here you can work out the corresponding numbers and write them out before you go if it makes it easier to check.

Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    Donny, Thank you for asking this question, it has been something that has perplexed me also![msnscared]

Florida Chatterbox
    oh gosh i must be soooooooooooooooo thick [msnembarrased], on a phone say number 9 there is w,x,y,z so if you need to dial y and press it three times like in a txt would you not be dialing 999, i know thats not emergency over there but you know what i mean! or do you[msnscared]

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by donny
    oh gosh i must be soooooooooooooooo thick [msnembarrased], on a phone say number 9 there is w,x,y,z so if you need to dial y and press it three times like in a txt would you not be dialing 999, i know thats not emergency over there but you know what i mean! or do you[msnscared]
    [/quote]
    No you don't =it is not predictive text just a system of substituting letters for numbers so that they are easier to remember.
    So for example if I ws advertising my name I would publish my number as 0800 ALBERT which is a darn sight easier to remember than 0800 252378

Gold 5 Star Member
    Basically to use your example one press of the number 9 covers ANY of the letters w, x, y, or Z or the number 9.

I know the first time I tried to call I was very confused (this was before we had mobiles in the UK and the home phone didnt have leters on it so had nothing to relate it to.
    Babblin Boo

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by donny
    [/quote]

Don't do that! You would only press the number once regardless of which letter you need to represent. So for Y, you just press 9 once. Same for W,X and Z. It's absolutely not like using text on your mobile.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    sorry, back again [msnembarrased] so what would 1-800-BE-PETTY be?
    1-800-2373889? although when the letter on the number pad that you want is the third letter how does that work!?