Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: phone numbers!*!?*!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by donny
    sorry, back again [msnembarrased] so what would 1-800-BE-PETTY be?
    1-800-2373889? although when the letter on the number pad that you want is the third letter how does that work!?[/quote]As Steph has already said, any letter on a number works, even if it's the first, third or whatever.

So if it was D for Disney and C D E were all on the same number, they'd all dial the number you wanted.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    [u]I GOT IT, I GOT IT</u>!!!!! oh dear can't believe i was so thick![stupid1] still can't understand that when you press 9 there are four letters on it, how does that work? how does it work out what letters you want? anyway it does! many, many thanks[bowwave]

Donny
    It doesn't work out which letter you want the important thing is the number - the word is just there to make it easier for you to remember the number its easier to remember eg its easier to remember 347639 as DISNEY but also EGPOEZ or FHRMFW or DIQNEX all these combinations of letters correspond to 347639, just DISNEY is the easiest word to remember - I hope you follow this.

Judy

oh how clever!! just sussed it...[laugh]
    Liesa

Blackberry users are totally stuffed by this, as the keyboard is qwerty with the numbers as 'alt' functions. I hope this system never becomes popular in the UK !!

To throw in a bit of history, did you know these same numbers (2=A,B,C, 3=D,E,F etc) were responsible for the original dialing codes in the UK? So Manchester was 061 (6=M), Liverpool 051 (5=L) Glasgow 041, Edinburgh 031, Birmingham 021 ? And then local codes were also derived from the letters spelling the area, wherever possible, so WYThenshawe in Manchester was 061 998 (WYT) Clever eh?

Obviously the introduction of a 1 to nearly every dialing code has altered this somewhat, but in the majority of cases if you take the first two or three letters of your local area you can see how your own dialing code was derived.

And that concludes today's lecture on Telecommunications History. Tomorrow I could write about The Demise of Analogue TV if anyone is interested!!

Dave.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dads_Taxi
    Blackberry users are totally stuffed by this, as the keyboard is qwerty with the numbers as 'alt' functions. I hope this system never becomes popular in the UK !!

To throw in a bit of history, did you know these same numbers (2=A,B,C, 3=D,E,F etc) were responsible for the original dialing codes in the UK? So Manchester was 061 (6=M), Liverpool 051 (5=L) Glasgow 041, Edinburgh 031, Birmingham 021 ? And then local codes were also derived from the letters spelling the area, wherever possible, so WYThenshawe in Manchester was 061 998 (WYT) Clever eh?

Obviously the introduction of a 1 to nearly every dialing code has altered this somewhat, but in the majority of cases if you take the first two or three letters of your local area you can see how your own dialing code was derived.

And that concludes today's lecture on Telecommunications History. Tomorrow I could write about The Demise of Analogue TV if anyone is interested!!

[/quote]

I love things like this me-just out of interest there is a telephone exchange in Manchester called Mercury because the Exchange is in Heald Green which when abbreviated on lists Hg-the chemical id of Mercury......love it.....anyway onwards and upwards

Blimey, you're as much of an anorak as I am !

Our phone line is actually from the Mercury exchange (as I guess yours is as it's about half way between us).
    Dave.