Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: driving

Florida Newbie

driving

Hi, I have been reading up on driving in Orlando and it all seemed ok and quite straight forward until I came to the bit about getting out of the airport. It stated that it is bedlam and that there are frequently accidents. [V] It does advise to fly to Sanford airport but you cannot fly there during the winter months.

Is it really that bad? Any tips on what you should do?

many thanks

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Driving in this part of Florida is a dream if you take your time,are courteous, and don't panic.
    The exit to the airport is well signposted and I would certainly not describe it as bedlam.

Just take your time when driving out of MCO. Why not hire a Sat Nav from this site which will direct you to your villa or wherever you are staying, and will be pre programmed plus it will direct you to the main attractions from the address you are staying.

Sandra

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Getting out of the airport car-hire parking is "simlpe & straightforward"[msnwink]

As mentioned above, Take your time & Don't panic, You'll be fine.

There will always be doom & gloom merchants.

We have been through there dozens of times and not seen an accident yet. (I suppose thats blown our next trip[msnwink])
    mike

Alisa, I was a very nervous driver, and my husband never let me drive at all, but when I took the children on my own I had to. I have to say that it was not bedlam getting out of the airport, but if it is busy just take your time. When you drive out of the car park after picking up your hire car just make sure you familiarise yourself with all the controls, and then drive gently to get a 'feel' for the car. They are very easy to drive with automatic transmission.

As you try to merge onto the road from the car park make sure you and your family look out carefully, and don't rush it, take your time.

On the whole I have found drivers incredibly courteous and once I got over the initial shock of having to drive instead of being the navigator I really enjoyed it.

Don't worry, it will be fine I am sure! If I can do it, anyone can! [msnwink]
    ellie

Super Moderator
    It is no worse getting out of Orlando than any other airport and if you are worried then sat nav hire from here is a good idea as it will also come with the address of where you are staying already programmed in so all you will have to do is turn it on and off you go. The speed limit on Orlando airport is 35 mph.

Have to say Sanford is the easiest airport I have driven out of. We arrived in Orlando airport a few days ago and it was not to bad, just take your time and have a good look at the signs. Remember if on the 528 you will need $1 for the first toll, and 75c for the next.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    If you want to go on the toll road or not you initially follow the signs for the South Exit, from memory (I don't do the driving) when you leave Alamo you filter into the traffic and go over to the right, it is fairly straight forward and no more difficult than getting out of Sanford, but a lot closer to everything, we love Orlando Airport.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox
    Driving in orlando is much easier than driving in london. Like all have said, is to take your time and plan ahead. Getting out of MCO is not difficult. I've been going to florida for a very long time and never have I ever taken a sat nav. On days relax days out, at times for me and the family getting lost is all part of the fun and holiday. We have discovered some lovely places by getting lost.