Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossies!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
    I use too be a mozzie magnet but the when we were out in Florida during hurricane Jeanne I was advised to take garlic tablet every day. Start this day before we fly and take every day of our stay. Have not been bitten now for years.
    [/quote]

Marmite is another repellant.

Avon skin so soft is supposed to be really good too.
    On our very first visit in 87 as we got to checkin we were handed a leaflet by the Virgin checkin staff about the prevalcence at that time and the worry of west nile virus and we were advised to take insect repellant with us (boots were doing a roaring trade). Whenever you have a sub tropical climate there is always the chance there will be some around.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    We have used "Avon Skin So Soft" for a while now with great success[msnsmile2]
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    Have to say for our recent trip I did take mozzie spray with us as we were going at a time of year we hadn't been before, didn't use it once or have a problem. It makes sense that if you spend time near a lake that they might be around, guess I am either in the theme parks,in the malls,by the sea on in the pool..[msnwink]

Florida Chatterbox
    The presence of mosquitos in Florida is just a myth perpetuated by all of the retail stores who have to sell all the repellant and mosquito killing items that they stock.

Of course they could just stop stocking them (as everyone knows mosquito's hate warm, humid damp environments with plenty of stagnant water around) but instead they have decided that they are best dedicating their valuable retail space to selling products that no one needs. The thing that really amazes me is that despite their sophisticated systems tracking what they do and don't sell, they all stock this stuff. They must be really stupid [stupid2]

Of course I could have this wrong[msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn Of course I could have this wrong[msnwink] [/quote]

No, I don't think you do Fraser. It's been widely reported that there has never been a single spotting of a mosquito in the Central Florida area.[msnwink]

I know they do inhabit the Gulf Coast area through because I've been nibbled at a few times but I can honestly (and genuinely) say that they don't seem to be a problem on the Atlantic Coast.

Florida Chatterbox
    The plot deepens....

I am in London at the moment and phoned the local corner shop to ask if they stock Mosquito repellent. The guy who answered the phone said "don't be stupid, there are no mosquitos here".

It seems that he has managed to understand a basic retail principle that Walmart, despite it's sales of $410,000,000,000 last year has missed! They should employ him <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I know they do inhabit the Gulf Coast area through because I've been nibbled at a few times[/quote]But Phil, can you be sure that it was a mosquito not a member of staff from Wallmart sent out to nibble you so that they could justify their poor product selection process?

I smell a conspiracy [msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
    I smell a conspiracy [msnwink][/quote]What you smell is that the County has to treat all standing water like lakes, etc in populated areas which stops the mozzies biting and also has the added advantage of getting rid of them. [msnwink]
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
    I smell a conspiracy [msnwink][/quote]What you smell is that the County has to treat all standing water like lakes, etc in populated areas which stops the mozzies biting and also has the added advantage of getting rid of them. [msnwink]
    [/quote]

Ahhh, that makes sense, I thought it was Bull S**t I could smell[msnsmile2]

Administrator
    I'd say the summer months are the worst for mossies, and usually shortly after sunset more than in the day. Carolyn tends to get bitten more than me, but rarely gets bitten after the summer months. Now the weather is less humid we are rarely seeing a mossie.

I general, you wont get bitten around the parks as they spray repellant over night.

At night, in Crescent Lakes where we live (and probably also some other villa communities) large trucks go around all the roads and spray tonnes of mosquito repellant in to the air and on to the trees and grass areas which makes a big difference to the number of mossies.

Florida Newbie
    Wow that certainly started something! Lol [:I] thank you all for your information, I am a bit of mozzi magnet! I do have a bottle of skin so soft in the bathroom cupboard go I think I will pop it in my bag just in case!

Thank you all again [8D]

Shazza