Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i lock checked luggage

We normally use cable ties (you can buy very colourful ones in Home Depot in the US - pink, yellow, orange, turquoise) and we have still had our suitcases opened, and the ties have never been replaced, so I do not think that this is a guarantee that your suitcases will be left alone - they have the right to open your suitcase so you just have to accept that.

We use a TSA lock AND cable ties now, but expect at some stage to have the suitcases opened on the way. Incidentally, we flew via Charlotte 2 weeks ago and returned 2 days ago and on neither flight were the suitcases opened.

The best advice is not to pack anything valuable in your suitcase and I think this is true wherever you fly to - be it the USA or Europe or the Far East. It makes sense to carry precious items in hand luggage and then you can be sure that they won't disappear. Doubtless there are many cases of theft at our British airports, too - and if your suitcase has been opened in the USA, on the way back there would be ample opportunity for the thefts to take place on arrival in the UK if your suitcase is unlocked.

ellie

You can get TSA locks (the type USA security can open and relock) with indicators on that tell you if they have been opened by TSA. This is useful, as apparently, claims for missing items are invalid if you have exited the airport. They are called TSA indicator locks, if I remember correctly. The ones I use are called Presto Locks.
    Tony G

Trip before last we bought and used TSA approved locks, because DH insisted we should lock our cases. Guess what, they still broke them and left a note saying they had to break the locks to search our cases. How dumb is that...??? [msneek] I've kept everything as I meant to see if there was a way to complain, but never got around to it. We're back to not locking our cases, I never put anything of value in them anyway.

Like Maureen we use cable ties.

We also leave a spare cable tie inside the case.
    On a couple of occasions our cases have been opened, a note left and the cable tie replaced.
    We've never had anything taken from our cases.

When the TSA first started opening cases (after 911) they broke the lock on one of our cases rendering it useless. I claimed a replacement from the TSA and was successful. They sent me a cheque to replace the case. It was strange having a cheque from the US Government! Not long after they started putting a disclaimer on the note they left.

Bernadette

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    How secure are cases when locks are used?

Not at all, you can open a case with not much more than a pen.

Better to "never" leave anything valuable in the case in the first place.
    mike

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We always use cable ties and have had cases opened on a number of occasions, nother ever taken and nothing ever broken. Recently bought a case with an integral TSA lock not used it yet but having read the postings here not sure if I should use it, would not want the suitcase damaged.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    We've been using the cable ties for years now, not just to prevent theft but to stop anything being slipped in without immediately being obvious. When they have been opened they have been replaced with blue cable ties and notes left.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Bought some of the TSA locks from Amazon last week, bout £11 for 2, with a 3 digit combination which you can change, has a lock which can be opened by the authorities but a colour indicator tells you if it has been opened, good advice not to put any valuables in a hold case
    Ian Mcc

Florida Expert
    We always use cable ties and the last couple of times they have been opened, once the tie was replaced, this time it wasen't, there was a note inside to say they had opened it.

Always use TSA locks, never had the cases opened....yet.