Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continental luggage sizing

Florida Chatterbox

Continental luggage sizing

Hello all, have booked with Continental for our flight in December. Have been on their website and notice that they are very specific about the size of checked and carry on luggage allowance. Have just been in the loft to measure the suitcases and 2 of the cases we were hoping to take are 3 inches over the allowance [msnscared] Has anyone flown with them recently? Do they have 1 of those things that they get you to put your cases in to check the sizes? Don't really want to buy 2 new cases.
    Thanks
    Margaret

Gold 5 Star Member
    You see more and more sizers, some of which will be at check-in, some at security and even some at the gate. Not only do you run the risk of the airline's own staff checking but airport staff as well. I'm seeing people sent back to check-in and doing the check-in re-pack a lot these days.

You might well get away with it but you are running a risk especially if your case is already too big when it's empty let alone when you have it packed full.

Your call I'm afraid.

Gold 5 Star Member
    What's the penalty for oversized suitcases if you get caught out? Is it that they just don't travel, do you have to pay some extra money or something else?

When you know what the consequence is then you can make an informed decision about whether to get new ones or not.
    blott

I am used to flying Virgin Upper Class and do not usually have to worry about lugage allowance. Due to the massive increase in fares this year, we have decide to fly Premium with Thompson to Sanford. A great drob in baggage allowance but the savings made should allow us to pay for any excessive bagage charges (hopefully).

Mel
    Mel - Hertfordshire

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by woldm1
    I am used to flying Virgin Upper Class and do not usually have to worry about lugage allowance. Due to the massive increase in fares this year, we have decide to fly Premium with Thompson to Sanford. A great drob in baggage allowance but the savings made should allow us to pay for any excessive bagage charges (hopefully).

Mel
    [/quote]

Check they don't charge by the kilo, or you could easily spend the difference in fares [msneek]
    Shirley

Thomson are very strict on baggage allowances (especially at Sanford) so it is important to read the baggage allowance carefully and stay within it. We booked with them for the first time in years and bought some luggage scales to ensure we were within the limit.
    Jim

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I am used to flying Virgin Upper Class and do not usually have to worry about lugage allowance.[/quote]That won't help with oversize cabin luggage.

I have a Samsonite case specifically designed to meet the dimensions allowed for cabin luggage. I have used this scores of times in many different airports. It fits in 'lengthways' into most overhead locker(i.e. wheels first)

I got stopped by airport staff going into Security at Manchester airport and had to place the case into their 'cage'. It wouldn't fit as the wheels protrude 1 inch. I had to take it back and check it in as hold luggage. (I had taken this case through Manchester many times and have subsequently several times.)

When I got to Chicago I retrieved the bag and it was used as cabin luggage for the onward flight and the rest of the trip.

There have been many reports of this happening at UK airports on the Frequent Flyer forums - the airport staff being the problem, not the airlines.

Ryanair are the worst for this, they stop you at the gate when boarding and if your case is fraction too big it has to be put in the hold at a cost of £30. I was on a flight to Limoges a couple of months ago and they 'caught out' several people.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by woldm1

Mel
    [/quote]
    You will be best to book an additional case as at £40 this will be cheaper than paying by the kilo
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have just returned from Europe and as an exercise as we had 3 hours before our flight decided to try the different hand luggage cages for the budget airlines. We found Ryanair to be the smallest and Easyjet to be one of largest with British airways coming in between the two. Cannot believe how much the cages vary. Our cabin bag is designed to fit standard carry on size but it would not fit in all the cages.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all your replies, I have decided not to chance it just in case. We are going out for our daughters wedding [msnsmile2] and do not want any hassle at the airport. Maybe it's time to splash out on some new luggage [msnwink]
    Margaret