Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: convertible car hire question

Florida Newbie

convertible car hire question

hi all long time since been on this site, always first i look at when booking florida trip! want to book a car through this site and as only 4 of us going in november would like to book a convertible does anyone know if they are 4 seaters or 2 as cannot see any details anywhere? thanks

Just be aware that if you have a convertible, there is not a lot of room for the back seat passengers. There will also be not a lot of room for any luggage in the boot if you have the lid open as that goes back into the trunk. One actually does not see a whole lot of people driving with the lid off funnily enough - usually because it's too hot or gas fumes.[msncool]

We have a convertible in UK but would not have one in Florida especially for 4 people[msnwink]

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have used one with four adults ..two cases went in the boot..and two on the back seats with the girls..who are mid 20s and not that small..it was a bit tight but the trip to the airport is not that long..

We have one of our own now and the top is rarely up..I was not sure about using one in FL..but its more humid here in MA and sometimes just as hot and I've got used to it...great fun...wish we had got one years ago..

Chrizzy, not sure if the convertibles in Florida have soft tops which of course when down won't take boot space. If it is a hard top, the top goes automatically back into the boot so no room whatsoever when off.

Sandra

Florida Newbie
    thanks for that, me thinks not a good idea as off to tampa from the orlando airport so that drive would be too much a bit squashed!!! think i will rethink. cheers again

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We had one in January, it was a soft top but went into the boot taking up more than half of the boot space. You would need to leave the top up on the journey to and from the airport, should be fine after that. With the top down getting in and out of the back is no problem, but with the top up I found it a little ungainly trying to get out of the back.
    Lyn

We (2 adults and a 12 year old) hired a convertible (Mustang) in LA this August, it was a rag top and didnt matter whether the roof was up or down the space in the boot was the same. We got a suitcase, 2 small holdals and our hand luggage in the boot and 1 suitcase on the back seat, I was quite suprised how much we got into it. It was great driving about with the roof down and would certainly do it again.

Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have a hard top..I find myself..that with the roof up the boot space is a fair size..we have rented a few cars where its been hard to get our cases in the boot..mostly because the gap to get things into the boot is so small..

Down sides to a convertible are to me anyway leg room in the back.. getting in and out the back of the car..and when shopping with the roof down the amount of things we have had to throw out because its rolled under where the roof sits and it always ends up being something that can go off not a tin...lol

Also hot seats can't be left out..

Florida Expert
    Just returned from Florida and we had a convertable with hard top for a week ( 22nd Aug till the 28th ) and once the buggy was in there was very little room for anything else when the top was down. It was fun using it for the running around but we would have been pushed getting our luggage and ourselves to the airport in it if we had the top down.( two adults one little one maybe your bags are a lot smaller than ours chrizzy![msnsmile2] )

Gold 5 Star Member
    I had two 20 something girls with me..they are not known for small anything...lol

If the only problem is having the top down on airport runs then I would say keep it up for those trips..
    I would not be without my convertible now..we have an SUV but hubby makes everything fit into the convertible..we have always had 2 door sporty cars you'd be surprised how we have learned to pack stuff into them over the years..a full size gym was great fun..