Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Coral

No comparison between Pondersosa and Golden Coral, even our grandchildren did not want to go back to Ponderosa![msnwink]

Sandra

Florida Savvy
    Totally agree - Ponderosa is a buffet but its a very poor relation to Golden Corral - tried it once BUT wont go back which is why we were cautious re Golden Corral, but So glad we did try it.
    VIOLET BARROW

Gold 5 Star Member
    When we last went to Ponderosa you ordered an Entree (such as burger and chips) which was a set price and then you could add the buffet on as an extra. To me the size of the burger and chips was a meal in itself so there wasnt muc point having the buffet, it was a bit more like the Harvester salas bar then. Looking at their menu it may have changed as it looks like there are other options with the buffet now.

We like the Golden corral near Millenia Mall and Premium Outlets best, maybe because they are newer, but as with any restaurant they are only as good as the chef on the day. There is always a high turnover of food so it's not standing. Hubby particularly likes the steak and beef carvery, Must admit we only go a couple of times a trip as it so easy to overeat, but it is good when there are a range of ages as everybody is happy as they even serve fresh baked foods from the bakery including pizza, sweet rolls and brownies. The bell rings every 15 mins or so to signal a fresh batch.

When we are on holiday we're not ones for spending hours over a meal and there's nothing worse when you are hungry than sitting waiting for a long time for meals to be prepared so it's great when you want to get in, eat and out and get on with the day. Breakfast is good too with over a hundred items and things like omelettes cooked to order.
    Babblin Boo

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by VIOLET
    Totally agree - Ponderosa is a buffet but its a very poor relation to Golden Corral - tried it once BUT wont go back which is why we were cautious re Golden Corral, but So glad we did try it.
    [/quote]

Ditto ....
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    The Golden Corral is, in our experience, totally disgusting. There's food bits all over the floor and the tables which no-one seems interested in clearing up, people have dipped into different things with the same utensils so that there are remnants of most things in each dish and the whole place looks, frankly, grubby.

It made us feel [sick] just to look at it, never mind contemplating eating anything in there. We have actually eaten in there once (probably by mistake) and it was the easily discernable food bits in all the other food that had me heaving.

Ponderosa is always clean (the one on the 192 opposite Old Town) and their breakfast buffet is always neat and tidy with so many items that I don't think they can be bettered.
    blott

Steph, at the Pondersosa you need not order from the menu, you can just order the salad bar which as you know has many other bits and pieces, soup, bread, spaghetti, deserts, etc. That way you don't waste your money on a tough old steak or dried up piece of chicken. On the occasions we ate there, the main course arrived when we were full from the buffet anyway!

I have not been to the Golden Coral for breakfast or Pondersosa so cannot compare but the comparison for dinner was unbelieveable. I had the same experience as Blott but the opposite way round, with the GC coming out way ahead. We did go twice more to Ponderosa to see if it had been a 'one off' day as we like to give places a chance, but sadly not. Each to their own.

Sandra

We always go to the GC at the opposite end of 192 to Old Town, I know there is one virtually opposite and when we went in there it was disgusting but the one on W Irlo Bronson (I think that is where it is) is lovely and clean and the staff are nice. We went to the Ponderosa on our last visit because my son wanted to go there and it was empty (which I think says it all really) the food was dried up and looked very unappealing.
    Wendy

We visited Golden Corral on Vineland Avenue about 8 years ago and have never been back since. It was not a nice experience[sick]
    Glenda and Geoff

Florida Expert
    been to Golden Corral near Formosa Gardens for breakfast a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not so keen on Ponderosa though and last time we were there the 3 of us came out covered in insect bites

Florida Expert
    We only go to Ponderosa for breakfast. But we also go to the one opposite Old Town which is very clean with excellent staff. We did end up at a different one once and whilst waiting in queue there were letters up from people saying how fab the place was. However that was not our thoughts on the place at all. I really found out then that each individual place of any chain depends so much on the staff and management of each restaurant, but we will try GC next time.