Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: B1/B2 Length of stay

Florida Newbie

B1/B2 Length of stay

Hi. Difficult to find accurate information about the length of time that can be spent with a B1/B2 visa in any 12 month period. I know that maximum at any one visit would be 180 days.
    Would it be possible to stay for 3 months, come back to the U.K. for 1 month and then return for a further 5 months?
    Or is this an absolute no no?

Regards Elvkat

180 day rule applies to tax not immigration. On a B2 you can stay up to 6 months each time, technically you can go back to your originating country for 1 day and then return again for another 6 months. You will need to satisfy border control that you have the funds/health insurance to support yourself and you have valid reasons to go back to your home country (i.e. dont sell up in the UK and use the B2 as a retirement visa).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by elvkat
    Hi. Difficult to find accurate information about the length of time that can be spent with a B1/B2 visa in any 12 month period. I know that maximum at any one visit would be 180 days.
    Would it be possible to stay for 3 months, come back to the U.K. for 1 month and then return for a further 5 months?
    Or is this an absolute no no?

Regards Elvkat
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Subject to the caveats expressed in the post above, and not seeking employment etc, you can also apply for an extension beyond a six month period without the need to return to UK.

This could be, say, for health reasons(rehabilitation at a Betty Ford clinic!!) or family reasons; for instance looking after a sick relative.

I know a couple who live near us in Florida who spend almost the entire year there. Have done for years, as they have a home, just a small apartment in the UK and they go home for a couple of weeks in the height of summer and then spend Christmas with their son in Canada and it works fine for them. They are both retired and fit and well and can support themselves so nobody bothers them.

Andrena