Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Phone

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DISNEYDIVA
    Thanks for the advice - didn't realise it would be as expensive as that [msneek]
    It is mainly for emergencies, we will use it for texting home, reading e-mail's etc.
    I get 200 free calls and unlimited text and web for £20 per month on Virgin contract.
    Villa has land line but may be free local calls only, so may have to get a phone card.
    [msnsmile]

[/quote]I would suggest unlimited web would be for UK only. Does the villa or resort you are staying at have a PC which you can use?
    Regards, Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for the advice - didn't realise it would be as expensive as that [msneek]
    It is mainly for emergencies, we will use it for texting home, reading e-mail's etc.
    I get 200 free calls and unlimited text and web for £20 per month on Virgin contract.
    Villa has land line but may be free local calls only, so may have to get a phone card.
    [msnsmile]

[/quote]

We usually recommend our Guests buy a phone card at Dollar Tree for the odd call home. We offer free local calls in our villa but also a computer for free internet use so it gives them quite a bit of scope for contact.
    If you want your own phone for emergency use when you are out there should be a way to stop incoming calls, which in the caes of an emergency (if your car broke down for example and you needed to get a call back from a car company etc ) you could then cancel for the time you needed.
    Babblin Boo

Whatever you do, do not use your phone for reading e-mails. That is around £9.99 for a small amount of gigabytes!!!!!! I also have a contract that gives me all that you have but it certainly does not cover me whilst in USA[msnoo]

Your deal will only be for use in UK!!! Do not be taken in by these contracts and assistants who don't understand what you are talking about some of the time. Oh dear, please don't be taken in or you are in for a very expensive phone bill and I mean very expensive[msnoo]

That is why many villa owners offer services such as free international calls, internet etc. as they know that when they have UK guests, they will be catered for.

Sandra

I would check if the villa has free telephone calls...many do. Even if it does not, maybe they have a PC with internet access, and then possibly you can use something like Skype, if it is installed.
    Keith

Oh dear !!! no e-mail's for two weeks - i promised i would not take my laptop...............
    Thankyou for pointing out the cost, i never expected it to be that expensive.
    I will stick to just texting which should be easier on the keyboard (I hate phones [msnmad])
    We will get a phone card then we will be covered. Goodness know's what sort of bill we would have come back too.
    Again, many thanks to you all.
    Lesley

I still pick up my emails on my phone in Florida just not with data roaming, there are plenty of free wifi spots around and about, then it doesn't cost a penny.
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
    I still pick up my emails on my phone in Florida just not with data roaming, there are plenty of free wifi spots around and about, then it doesn't cost a penny.
    [/quote]

Absolutely right.

There shouldn't be any charge for e-mails accessed from a wi-fi hotspot or your accommodation (if it has wi-fi). The advice to turn off roaming is something you should do before you even leave the UK.

Oh dear !!! no e-mail's for two weeks - i promised i would not take my laptop...............
    Thankyou for pointing out the cost, i never expected it to be that expensive.
    I will stick to just texting which should be easier on the keyboard (I hate phones [msnmad])
    We will get a phone card then we will be covered. Goodness know's what sort of bill we would have come back too.
    Again, many thanks to you all.
    [/quote]

Your on holiday, leave the emails behind and have fun......[msnwink]

I think that it may be worthwhile taking your laptop with you, but do ask the owner of the villa you are renting, we like many owners offer free wifi, and free local and international calls. It doesn't cost us much and we like to think that our guests don't have to worry about keeping in touch with home if they either need to or want to. Maybe the owner of your rental home will have these facilities too, just ask.

Andrena

Florida Chatterbox
    Like the others we have a system providing free calls as well as wifi at our villa - it is an essential extra these days. Most hotels will have free wifi in their reception area but can charge daily between $15-20 for using internet in your hotel room that x how many rooms if you're in a group can add up. Places like Macdonalds and Starbucks often have free wifi.

As we visit our Florida home twice or more annually we bought very cheap Virgin mobile phones (in any large supermarket out there). These are pay as you go minimum $20. Phones cost about $10 each at the time. You have to go online or call Virgin free to set them up (think I did online) and away you go. the credit expires after 90 days and the phone can be reactivated by calling Virgin before topping up for your next trip. There are lots of different brands that do the same. Alternative is of course a sim card and many owners use those too.

I recommend you start by phoning your provider and finding out exactly what texts, outgoing and incoming calls, texts and emails will cost you if using your UK mobile in the US. You may find they do a tariff you can switch to temporarily. My son also uses his i-pod touch in any free wifi spot abroad.

If you go on the Moneysavingexpert website or similar they have a whole section on travel tips including phone use.