Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Baggage allowance with Continental

Florida Chatterbox

Baggage allowance with Continental

Hi,I have been checking out our baggage allowance for when we come to Orlando in December. It may be me being a bit dim [msnembarrased] but I don't really understand what Continental say our allowance is!!
    I have checked on their website and this is what is says:
    Checked Baggage Fees

In general, Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for the applicable service fees set forth below. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the width + height + depth of the bag added together. Certain customers are allowed to check three pieces of baggage. The fees are discounted for bags that are checked and pre-paid at continental.com. You may continue to check your bags at the airport or curbside for a higher fee.

The following customers will not be charged service fees to check a first or second bag (bags must meet weight and size restrictions):

* OnePass Silver Elite members and Star Alliance Silver members
    * OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members
    * First Class, International Business, and Latin Business Class customers
    * BusinessFirst customers
    * Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived
    * Continental Airlines Presidential Plus primary cardmembers will have their first and second checked-bag fees automatically waived
    <span style="color:blue">* Any customer traveling on full fare economy class (Y) tickets</span id="blue">
    * Active U.S. military personnel
    * U.S. military dependents traveling with U.S. military personnel on personal travel
    * U.S. military dependents traveling on official business (with documentation)
    As I understand it, this means we would be allowed 2 bags of up to 23kg each? What does everyone think, opinions would be appreciated.
    Margaret

Well, I have to say their website is mighty confusing, but I thought nowadays everyone only allowed you one piece of luggage free and that most American carriers charged you for the first one anyway? Would be interested to know from someone who had flown with Continental recently.

I can't think of any airline which allows two free bags in Economy any more.[msnsad]
    ellie

Florida Expert
    We are flying with them on Thursday and I understand it as we are allowed one bag each upto 23kg over that it is to pay, a cabin bag no bigger than a total of 45ins and weighing no more than 18kg

Gold 5 Star Member
    Y class tickets are very expensive.

American Airlines has the same policy for economy, my daughters boyfriend came over with them and it is 1 checked bag up to 23kgs and one piece of hand luggage up to 18kgs (40lb). What you may need to check though is if it is booked as a Virgin codeshare then the hand luggage is only 6kgs, (I was hoping to book Continental and get the bigger allowance. I dont think Continental actually have flights into Orlando? When I was loking it always said operated by Virgin but may just have been times I was looking at.
    Babblin Boo

So does the $25 charge to check in a bag at the airport apply to the first bag? And is it both ways?
    ellie

Florida Expert
    In my experience Continental accept one case per passenger weighing up to 23kg (50lbs) unless you are on any level of their air mile priviledges.

I would have thought that the $25.00 fee for the second bag would be each way.
    Clare R

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    From the same page you got that information from if you look down further there is a table of travel from and to and from Europe transatlantic to the US first bag is free.

One thing to remember though..... If you are travelling UK to US with continental you will be going via New York or Houston. If you are planning a stopover at all over 24 hours. your flight will not be classed as through flight and you will be subject to the fees per bag as if you were travelling domestically. This will be subject to charges just due to any delays. but you will be expected to keep your luggage with you as you cannot check in luggage earlier than 4 hours before the flight.

Hope it helps
    CERI

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
    So does the $25 charge to check in a bag at the airport apply to the first bag? And is it both ways?[/quote]Provided it meets the dimensions/weight requirements, the first bag is free. Additional bags are chargeable each way and it's more expensive if you pay at the airport rather than pre-pay.

BTW - Southwest allows 2 free checked bags but of course they don't fly Transatlantic.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, I received an e-mail back from Continental apoligizing for the confusion! They confirmed we do have a 23kg luggage allowance and if we want to check in another bag it'll cost me $45 if booked online or$50 at the airport each way!!
    Margaret