Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flying with virgin

Florida Newbie

flying with virgin

hi guys flying with virgin from manchester in october 2010

there is 14 of us going and one of the party is only going to be 12months old and were were told that we would be seated with with some sort of child friendly pen are (something like a play pen for a child)
    has anybody any experience with this, does this mean we will be sat near the exits where there is a lot more leg room?

thanks

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    I think they are probably talking about a sky cot, these are positioned on the bulk head seats. Chances are only 2 of your party will get these and the rest will be behind you.
    We use to try to get bulkhead seats as my son has ADHD (too stop him kicking people in front) but they would never let all 3 of us have these seats, one of us was always sat behind the others.
    Christine

Florida Newbie
    yea thats what i was thinking of, as long as we are all sat together

i wouldn't think a 12 month old would be very comfortable in a sky cot, they aren't exactly very big.[msnsad]

Children are not usually seated in exit row seats.

Liz

Florida Expert
    Children are never seated in exit rows.
    Clare R

Florida Chatterbox
    Flown with Virgin from Manchester for the last 2 years and had skycots both times (different kids, don't ask!!) [msnsmile]

Anyway, the first time we had 2 seats and a skycot (row 33 i believe). In the opposite 2 seats were a couple with a child aged around 3 so there can't have been any other babies needing skycots that day.

In Feb this year we got all 4 seats in the middle and we used 1 skycot. We didn't particularly ask for these seats so i guess it depends how many babies there are on the plane that day.

In addition, this years flight back from MCO to manchester, we were in the front section of the plane and we had the skycot positions all the way across the plane so if there isn't enough babies to fill the skycot positions then yes you may well all get sat in a row/some behind.

Also, just worth mentioning, you won't be able to check in online, you have to check in at the airport on the morning of travel.

My children were 4 months and 2.5 months so no problem with skycot size. If yours is over 12 months, even just by a day then you will not be provided with a skycot, although saying that, unless he/she is a small baby then you will struggle to fit him/her in there. Size wise they're ok but the straps would be a major issue for you.
    Garry Pullan

Super Moderator
    I know it is not Virgin but when we flew with BA in May they were using what looked like baby bouncers/carriers the type which also strap into cars. (Do not have small children so not sure of the technical terms). They seem to take slightly larger children more comfortably than the sky cots used by Virgin.

Some car seats are particulalrly designed to be used in airline seats, by some of the airlines, but you would need to be purchasing an airline seat for this to be allowed....if that makes sense! [msneek]

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think Virgin are also offering child seats as well as skycots now. As your party is so large I would phone and see if you can check in before arriving as it will be ver difficult I would think to get 14 seats together. Unfortunately whilst the play pen idea would be great for parents, every inch of floor space is probably counted by the pound so would be seen to be losing them money.

The Exit rows are reserved for physically fit adults over 16, since in the case of an emergency and the cabin crew being unavailable then they ask that you can open the door. They do charge for these seats as well now and it was interesting on our last flight in Dec that the seats were empty so they had to ask a couple of people to occupy them for take off (so of course they stayed there the whole time.

just checked on the Virgin website and for your child to have an infant seat you must have paid for a ticket for them (as I said above each seat costs)

"We're happy to have infants fly with us and can provide:

Skycots - for babies aged up to 12 months.
    Infant/Child Seat - for newborns up to maxium weight of 44lbs (20kg), or maximum height of 40in (100cm).

INFANT/CHILD SEAT
    Infant/Child Seat

Our Infant/Child Seat is available on all Virgin Atlantic aircraft and is suitable for newborn babies, infants and children up to a maximum weight of 44lbs (20kg) or a maximum height of 40in (100cm). The Infant/Child Seat is available for use in all cabins.

An infant/child occupying an Infant/Child Seat, must be accompanied by a guardian of at least 16 years. The minimum age that someone can sit beside an infant, who is using an Infant/Child seat, is 14 years and over. However, there must be a third passenger travelling with the party who is aged 16 and over. Also one adult cannot travel with 2 children occupying 2 Infant/Child seats - In this case, another accompanying adult (14 plus) would need to also travel.

In the Economy and Premium Economy cabins, the guardian must be seated next to the infant/child. If travelling in Upper Class, the guardian must be seated immediately behind the infant/child.

Please note, passengers who require use of an Infant/Child Seat will have to purchase a seat at the applicable child fare."

The Skycots are free as they sit on a drop down table in front but they aren't massive. On a recent flight there was a bit of a delay whilst they sorted oout a family who had one ordered for their 10 month old and found they were too long for it and they werent happy. Common sense should have told the parents that there was very little they could do on a full aircraft, they couldnt magically make the cot any bigger or the baby any smaller but they spent ages figuring out what to do.

Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    If you buy a seat for your 12 month old then they will get the infant care chair (not great) but at least he/she will have their own space and you will at least be able to get to eat your meals. They are nowhere near as good or as comfortable as a normal car seat but they do their job.

You can of course just hold the baby which we thought about but decided against it (10 hours on a plane with a baby and no space to lay them down or anything, impossible to eat etc...) so last time we went we bought a childrens ticket for Aimee so she had her own seat. Max was in the skycot. This time we have had to buy 2 childrens tickets as they will be 14 months and 2.5 years.

You won't be able to check in online if you have an infant without a seat (skycot). What Virgin do is block off around 4 rows back from the bulkheads so no one can choose those seats. Those are then all allocated on the day of departure for groups exactly like yours. Turn up when check in opens and you will be fine as no one will have taken those seats.

See photos for what you can expect, not great photos but it might help you.

This is Max at just 4 months, any older and those straps would really start to be a concern. Granted there was more room at the bottom but a 12 month old, i don't think they will fit.

Kind of shows Aimee in her infant care chair, looks like a cheap car seat that clips into a tray which is locked in using the setbelt. Child then has a normal car seat harness.

Also, no skycot can be supplied or setup whilst on the ground. You must hold the baby and have them strapped in with you until you get off the ground. The cabin crew will then bring you the skycot and set it up for you.
    Garry Pullan