Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Driving in the US

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The key phrase in that provision (which I have bolded & underlined) is "when overtaking is permitted". What you have quoted here are the rules that apply in circumstances where overtaking on the right is allowed. It can therefore be reasonably deduced that, as a general rule, it isn't permitted. I'll bet that there'll be an earlier provision within that statute that generally prohibits it and this section merely provides limited exceptions.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Frankly, your post has actually significantly weakened your proposition that it's allowed. It's rather like you posting details of when it's OK to exceed the speed limit (like emergencies for instance) as authority for the view that they can all be ignored[/quote].[/quote]

You are of course quite correct – and I posted the Florida Statute(316.083) earlier in the thread.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Florida Statute 316.083 states:
    "316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.--The following rules shall govern the
    overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations,
    exceptions, and special rules hereinafter
    stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same
    direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right
    side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [/quote]

Note: this is Florida Statute 316.083

Indeed the 'limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter' are contained in the next Statute sub-section 316.084

This of course is the Florida Statute that Paul believes allows passing on the right:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Robert, just for you the official Florida statute for passing on the right which completely blows your comment of - All the official FLORIDA publications say you must pass on the left (none of which you have produced by the way)- out of the water so as I said WRONG AGAIN ROBERT.

The 2010 Florida Statutes(including Special Session A)

Title XXIII
    MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
    STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.084#8195;When overtaking on the right is permitted.—
    (1)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
    (a)#8195;When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
    (b)#8195;Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;
    (c)#8195;Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
    (2)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
    (3)#8195;A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.[/quote]

All this has been explained to Paul in writing many times on this forum; including in this thread(I actually posted the Statute) I really don't know how to put it it simpler terms; perhaps someone else can explain?

Just to clear this up. It us called undertaking and an be done provided you are not causing a risky or dangerous situation. This leaves the law wide open for interpretation. The general guide is that if the lane to your left is backing up then yes you can undertake. If you blatantly under take for no good reason then the chances are the police will stop you, if they witness it.
    I was ticketed for undertaking a car that would not get out of my way (lane hogging), so I skirted around he inside of him but not aggressively. The police ticketed both of us.
    As for the question is driving easy in Florida, yes it is far easier and more enjoyable than driving in the UK.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    Whether its legal or not you WILL have to overtake on the right during your stay.

Drivers on their phones and Disney buses (to name but two) always drive in the outside lane 10-15 miles below the speed limit.

If you don't overtake on the right you be about the only person on the road in Orlando that doesn't.
    [/quote]

That still does not make it right or legal.
    [/quote]

I didn't say it was right or legal. What I said was its impossible to drive in Orlando without overtaking on the inside because the vast majority of drivers their stay in the outside lane regardless.
    [/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan

Now where is that 'topic unsubscribe' button as i much prefer talk of Disney, sunshine, huge steaks and general niceties.
    [/quote]

I totally agree Garry
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50

Now where is that 'topic unsubscribe' button as i much prefer talk of Disney, sunshine, huge steaks and general niceties.
    [/quote]

I totally agree Garry
    [/quote]

So the reason you both posted on the thread was because neither of you had any interest in it?

Super Moderator
    Perhaps when he is stopped and fined by a highway officer [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    Jill,
    Nice link.

Unfortunately it is apparently rubbish, and should be ignored as according to wrpac00 his interpretation of regulations is correct. The term 'traffic' has no relevance; as he has proved that on a two or more lane highway you may overtake on the right.

Sorry also sunseeker, your daughter's friend in the Miami police clearly has no idea what he has talking about. Get her to tell him that one car on the road is 'traffic'

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I don't know where you drive Robert but where I come from if one car is on the road it is called TRAFFIC. It does not state STATIONARY or SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC and ALL roads have traffic so to me it means ANY TWO LANE OR MORE ROAD.[/quote]

After all 'where he comes from' (sic) is apparently the determinate for Florida law.

So folks take your lead from wrpac00, or ?????
    [/quote]

If you read my post correctly you would of read "HEAVY TRAFFIC". I'm pretty sure you have passed on the right when the queue of traffic you were travelling in was moving at a quicker pace than of that to your left. Also i'm pretty sure a traffic cop in the Miami Dade Police knows his onions about his job.

Dave

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50

[/quote]

I totally agree Garry
    [/quote]

So the reason you both posted on the thread was because neither of you had any interest in it?
    [/quote]

What did i post? Ah yes, to say i was unsubscribing as i prefer to discuss other topics, so yes you are quite correct grandad, i actually did post because i have no interest in it!!!!!!!!!
    Garry Pullan

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I think this one has run it's course and is now locked.