Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving in the US

Florida Newbie

Driving in the US

Hi.
    I'm from England and a pretty competant driver of 20 years. I'm taking my family to Disney in October for the first time & flying to Tampa and hiring a car. I'm hiring a villa in the Hampton lakes area.
    my question is, how easy is it to drive from there daily to the parks. is it relatively easy or are the roads badly sign posted. I'm hiring a sat-nav for the duration, but am worried that driving in the US might be a bit daunting. And how do the toll roads work and are there lots of them. As you can tell I'm a bit nervous of driving my family around. Please put my mind at rest. Much appreciated.
    Garry

Florida Expert
    You'll have no trouble at all, especially with a sat nav. It's so easy to drive out there and everything is clearly signposted. You'll be able to pick up loads of tips on general driving in the 'Driving in Florida' part of the forum, here: http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum_32.asp
    Chris

Apart from remembering to drive on the wrong side of the road - which the car will remind you of anyway, the steering wheel being in the wrong place, you'll have no problems !!!
    The area caters for strangers, signs are very clear & numerous - it's virtually impossible to get lost.
    Toll roads just have booths blocking all lanes - just keep to your right for the manned pay lanes, biggish signs tell you how much, usually around $1 - driver pays so let front seat passenger sort change & pass to driver. Left lanes for "Sunpass" holders which automatically debit a pre-paid account. Most car hire co's will loan you a Sunpass (for a fee), but it's debatable whether it's worth it....
    Apart from on the Interstates, drivers are pretty tolerant (in relation to UK) & will open a hole to let you change lanes. Overtaking is allowed in any lane ...
    Speed limits are marked on rectangular white signs & vary in built-up areas. Don't cross the solid white lines approaching traffic lights, you can usually filter right at a junction with the lights against you if the road is clear & there's no specific sign telling you not to....
    Stop signs at road junctions are set well back from the opposing road, you must stop & then creep foreward to see any traffic.
    Roundabouts are virtually unheard of, cross roads usually work on the first in/first out principle, taking it in turns.
    Because roads are much wider than UK, cars virtually all autos & there are lots of strangers who don't know the area, driving is very much easier than in UK & a much more pleasant experience. Just relax and enjoy !!!

Florida Expert
    Make sure the driver always has his/her driving licence with them when driving and you must also have the car rental paperwork and insurance details in the car.

Filling up with petrol is 'pay first/pump later'. Virtually all petrol/gas stations need a zip/postcode to be entered if you try to pay by credit card and will not accept UK postcodes.
    Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Overtaking is allowed in any lane ...[/quote]

It most certainly isn't allowed!! You must overtake on the left.

Despite the fact that 'undertaking' is commonplace it is illegal and several people on this OV have reported that they have been pulled over by the police for that offence.

Florida Chatterbox
    For driving information you should take a look at this .... http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=24

Chapter 3 "Your Driving" states .....

Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the pavement to pass on the right is against the law.

But there is a lot more interesting information to read too.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I find driving in the States an absolute pleasure- if you do go wrong don't panic and take your time-you'll get there particularly with a sat nav. The post above gives really good tips but based on your experience you'll have no problems at all-Enjoy!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:For driving information you should take a look at this .... http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=24

Chapter 3 "Your Driving" states .....

Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the pavement to pass on the right is against the law.

But there is a lot more interesting information to read too.[/quote]

This extract(from an unofficial publication) could be misleading as it is taken out of context. It gives exceptions from the Florida Statute that states you must pass on the left. The term 'lanes of traffic' mean convoys of cars in each lane. If the Left hand lane of vehicles slows down, it is not illegal for the right hand lane to pass - happens all the time on crowded roads.

Also 'pavement' in UK speak is sidewalk in USA speak.

Before we cover old ground it is worth reading this thread with the relevant statutes.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...12&whichpage=1

This is the main statute:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Florida Statute 316.083 states:
    "316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.--The following rules shall govern the
    overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations,
    exceptions, and special rules hereinafter stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same
    direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right
    side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [/quote]

Martin and another reader both got pulled over for 'undertaking' and Martin got a ticket.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I enjoy driving in the US but of course I'm usually on holiday with no deadlines to meet and the sun is shining so it's hardly a true comparison with my normal driving pattern in the UK. I would agree that driving around Orlando is generally hassle-free and you're unlikely to get into serious trouble but try driving in any major US conurbation and then say it's a pleasure. Half an hour of trying to find your way in a city like Miami or Los Angeles will make you yearn for a UK motorway jam.

Direction signage is nowhere near as good as in the UK and it's wise to have a clear idea of your route before you set out or consider a sat nav system.

Virtually impossible to get lost? - I don't think so.[msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I still don't like US road signs..and I've lived here over 10 years...but I find driving easier and not so stressful ...but then in the UK I did drive for a living..