Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Driving in the US

Super Moderator
    Hopefully it is okay to include this link as it is to the instructional video on how to drive in the right hand lane and follow the keep right rules http://www.americakeepright.com/main_video.html

Gold 5 Star Member
    Jill,
    Nice link.

Unfortunately it is apparently rubbish, and should be ignored as according to wrpac00 his interpretation of regulations is correct. The term 'traffic' has no relevance; as he has proved that on a two or more lane highway you may overtake on the right.

Sorry also sunseeker, your daughter's friend in the Miami police clearly has no idea what he has talking about. Get her to tell him that one car on the road is 'traffic'

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I don't know where you drive Robert but where I come from if one car is on the road it is called TRAFFIC. It does not state STATIONARY or SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC and ALL roads have traffic so to me it means ANY TWO LANE OR MORE ROAD.[/quote]

After all 'where he comes from' (sic) is apparently the determinate for Florida law.

So folks take your lead from wrpac00, or ?????

Florida Chatterbox
    This thread is like a one man stand against common sense, overwhelming evidence and personal experience.....

My suggestion is that Paul carries on overtaking on the right whilst he continues his search for the proof he required in the exact format that he requires it in. Meanwhile, I guess everyone else will do the sensible thing.

Entertaining though! [msnwink]

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[I don't know where you drive Robert but where I come from if one car is on the road it is called TRAFFIC. It does not state STATIONARY or SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC and ALL roads have traffic so to me it means ANY TWO LANE OR MORE ROAD.[/quote]

Hate to rain on your parade but as far as a 'road' is concerned 'Traffic' does not apply solely to 'motorised or pedal' vehicles. In highway terms it also generally includes footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks), therefore, if you have 2 people walking on a footpath that will also constitute 'traffic' and you do not need any 'cars' on the highway pavement to have 'traffic'.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:My suggestion is that Paul carries on overtaking on the right whilst he continues his search for the proof he required in the exact format that he requires it in. Meanwhile, I guess everyone else will do the sensible thing.[/quote]

I only hope if he is willing to pay any fines or penalties for those who follow his advice.

When Andrew spent time at University of Miami he often had lifts from other students as he did not have a car and they didn't overtake on the right if they saw any police about as they, like the Miami police force, were also under the impression it was not allowed.

wrpac00
    Sorry guys but its not an official video and each state has its own rules.

Fraserlynn, I don't need to search for proof as I have provided it already. Its the others that have to provide the proof and they haven't as yet. It has nothing to do with common sense, it is the norm if Florida and I see it 30-40 times every time I go out on the road in Florida and I guess you do to.

Robert as usual thinks he is right and continues to condem others including the police because he thinks he knows right, wrong as usual Robert. I am sorry your education level doesn't allow to understand what word TRAFFIC means but hey ho. You continually ignore Legitimate documents in perference to your own egotistical views and unrelated links.

wrpac00
    Robert, just for you the official Florida statute for passing on the right which completely blows your comment of - All the official FLORIDA publications say you must pass on the left (none of which you have produced by the way)- out of the water so as I said WRONG AGAIN ROBERT. [msnwink]

The 2010 Florida Statutes(including Special Session A)

Title XXIII
    MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
    STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.084#8195;When overtaking on the right is permitted.—
    (1)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
    (a)#8195;When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
    (b)#8195;Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;
    (c)#8195;Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
    (2)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
    (3)#8195;A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Now I am sure Robert will try and twist this and we will all have our own opinions.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've lived in the US for 11 years now can't say I overtake on the right..can't say I don't see people do it...but it looks kind of dangerous to me..

Florida Chatterbox
    I overtake on the right.

Now where is that 'topic unsubscribe' button as i much prefer talk of Disney, sunshine, huge steaks and general niceties.
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    Robert, just for you the official Florida statute for passing on the right which completely blows your comment of - All the official FLORIDA publications say you must pass on the left (none of which you have produced by the way)- out of the water so as I said WRONG AGAIN ROBERT. [msnwink]

Title XXIII

316.084#8195;[u]When overtaking on the right is permitted</u>.—
    (1)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
    (b)#8195;Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;
    (c)#8195;Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
    (2)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
    (3)#8195;A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Now I am sure Robert will try and twist this and we will all have our own opinions.
    [/quote]

The key phrase in that provision (which I have bolded & underlined) is "when overtaking is permitted". What you have quoted here are the rules that apply in circumstances where overtaking on the right is allowed. It can therefore be reasonably deduced that, as a general rule, it isn't permitted. I'll bet that there'll be an earlier provision within that statute that generally prohibits it and this section merely provides limited exceptions.

Frankly, your post has actually significantly weakened your proposition that it's allowed. It's rather like you posting details of when it's OK to exceed the speed limit (like emergencies for instance) as authority for the view that they can all be ignored.

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00

Title XXIII

316.084#8195;[u]When overtaking on the right is permitted</u>.—

[/quote]

The key phrase in that provision (which I have bolded & underlined) is "when overtaking is permitted". What you have quoted here are the rules that apply in circumstances where overtaking on the right is allowed. It can therefore be reasonably deduced that, as a general rule, it isn't permitted. I'll bet that there'll be an earlier provision within that statute that generally prohibits it and this section merely provides limited exceptions.

Frankly, your post has actually significantly weakened your proposition that it's allowed. It's rather like you posting details of when it's OK to exceed the speed limit (like emergencies for instance) as authority for the view that they can all be ignored.
    [/quote]

Sorry I can't agree with that because it says it is permitted, I have never disagreed that the norm is to pass on the left. The rule is ambiguous to say the least and open to interpretation.

Robert said that ALL Florida publications say you MUST pass on the LEFT. I have yet to find one that does say that, the Florida Drivers Handbook doesn't say that, and NO ONE so far has produced documentation that does say that so it is clear that NOT ALL publications state it.