Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving in the US

Florida Chatterbox
    Garry,

There's no need to worry about driving in Orlando/Kissimmee area, it really is pretty easy. Roads tend to very wide, cars tend to drive slower on the interstate (you dont see many 80mph+ like in UK) and the automatic gearbox means you press-and-go. I actually really enjoy driving over there (except when you get jammed up on I4).

If undertaking is illegal in some circumstances (and it seems so) then most US drivers break the law on the interstate - most seem to pick a lane and stay in it and that's what I tend to do.

Graeme

wrpac00
    Sorry to bring this old chestnut up again but a similar question has come up on another forum.

Looking at the 2011 Florida Drivers Handbook (Contents of this document constitute a public record and consists of the textual
    content and related diagrams and signage prepared by DHSMV staff and as contained in the 2011 Florida Driver’s handbook. Contents of this document do not contain advertising. Copyright Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles HSMV 71902 (Revised 09/2010).

It says under section 5.29 Passing:-

Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law.

To me this means that you can 'undertake' as people have called it as long as you are on a road with at least two lanes travelling in the same direction. There is nothing in the book about 'overtaking' or undertaking' that I can find only 'passing'.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Suggest you read the posts earlier in this thread - starting 9 July 2010.

You are misinterpreting 'Two or more lanes of traffic' to mean a 'two lane highway.'

The clue is the word 'traffic' i.e. lanes of cars.

If that rule you quote said 'passing on the right is only legal on a two or more lane highway' you might have some justification. It doesn't, it refers to 'lanes of traffic'.

There are many many references in Florida and Federal regulations that state you must overtake on the left.

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    Suggest you read the posts earlier in this thread - starting 9 July 2010.

You are misinterpreting 'Two or more lanes of traffic' to mean a 'two lane highway.'

The clue is the word 'traffic' i.e. lanes of cars.

If that rule you quote said 'passing on the right is only legal on a two or more lane highway' you might have some justification. It doesn't, it refers to 'lanes of traffic'.

There are many many references in Florida and Federal regulations that state you must overtake on the left.
    [/quote]

I don't think I am so could you post a link to where it actually states what YOU says its states because as yet we only have your word for that.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I don't think I am so could you post a link to where it actually states what YOU says its states because as yet we only have your word for that.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Florida Statute 316.083 states:
    "316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.--The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [/quote]

I just wonder why it is those people have posted on here that they have been pulled over by the police for overtaking on the right(undertaking), and Martin got a ticket for that offence.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quoteMartin)No this is not allowed to deliberately undertake. I always thought it was until I got a ticket!
    The only time it is allowed is if he other lane is naturally moving slower than yours and you have no choice.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Stay Right Pass Left™ is dedicated to the safe driving practice of always staying right and passing on the left. Always drive only in the right hand lane. Respect faster cars that want to pass by not blocking their path. Please understand and respect the fact that the left hand lane is for passing only!

The law in most areas states that you must "stay right and pass on the left". To stay right in the far right hand lane and to pass in the left hand lane is safe driving practice. It is not only courteous, it's also the law! [/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I too thought this was fair game out there until I got pulled over in Feb on the I4[/quote]

I have stated that 'two or more lanes of traffic' is not the same as 'a two or more lane highway' Is that not sufficient!!

So if you think that it is OK to overtake on the Right(undertake), then so be it.

Let others decide what they feel is correct.

wrpac00
    There is no point quoting old quotes, that proves nothing and it is not sufficient because 90% of the time Robert your wrong.

In a previous post you riddiculed someone for saying - Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law - which YOU said came from an unofficial publication. I have proved that in fact it comes from a Florida OFFICIAL publication which is issued to people to pass their Florida driving test.

I don't know where you drive Robert but where I come from if one car is on the road it is called TRAFFIC. It does not state STATIONARY or SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC and ALL roads have traffic so to me it means ANY TWO LANE OR MORE ROAD.

You have been unable to provide ANY evidence to support your arguement so unless you can we will have to consider it a load of rubbish. There are certain stipulations for not passing on the right which is why people may have been ticketed but as a general rule of thumb it appears you can pass on the right unless you can post a link to an OFFICIAL Floirda site.

Gold 5 Star Member

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

is this any good..
    [/quote]

Not not really, not a legite document.

Also Florida Statute 316.083 is to do with passing bicycles:-
    The driver of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle must pass the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle at a safe distance of not less than 3 feet between the vehicle and the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle. Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle, on audible signal or upon the visible blinking of the headlamps of the overtaking vehicle if such.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You have been unable to provide ANY evidence to support your arguement so unless you can we will have to consider it a load of rubbish. There are certain stipulations for not passing on the right which is why people may have been ticketed but as a general rule of thumb it appears you can pass on the right unless you can post a link to an OFFICIAL Floirda site.[/quote]

Your logic is, as usual, sadly lacking!

All the official FLORIDA publications say you must pass on the left.

So pray tell us what stipulations there are for not passing on right.
    Martin for instance was on the I4 when he was ticketed. What 'certain stipulation' was he breaching.(apart from overtaking on right)

If you feel that 'lanes of traffic' mean the same, in this context, as 'lane' Why doesn't the regulation simply say 'you may pass on the right on a two or more lane highway.'

Why have the superfluous(by your definition) word 'traffic' in the regulation.

EDIT
    Why do the regulations you quote make an exception and allow a vehicle turning left to be passed on the right. By your definition there is no reason to have such an exemption as it is allowed anyway to pass on the right.

My daughter has a friend in the Miami police and he says you are only allowed to pass on the right if the traffic in your lane is moving faster. He called it travelling in lanes. By this he means heavy traffic where it would be impractical for any lane inside an outer lane to match its speed.

Dave